Someone have any solution to reduce the heat in a 2 story house ?

mickemus

Someone have any solution to reduce the heat in a 2 story house ? I already have vents in roof and insulation on the inner roof.. is it anyone that have any experience in reflective sun film for windows or have any one Seen solar power fans ? I live in Korat and 40 degree is killing me and the air con bill......w00t.gif

I wish I had something positive to add here but the answer is probably no. The chances are your house is built with a single brick wall, unlike most western construction which is a double wall with insulation. Mention this to a Thai builder, they think you're crazy, "that'll make it hotter" So if that the case the walls themselves will heat and become virtual radiators, and the heat will as always rise. You can add reflective film to the windows, I always shut all of the blinds in the daytime, but the walls are a killer

Move the house to Norway.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It doesn't help too much because instead of "melting" you are "freezing to death". Trust me, I know.

It's so much easier to keep warm than stay cool. It all comes down to design and if you live in a sweat box there's not much you can do about it in the tropics apart from install air conditioning at great running cost.

Your summary is excellent and if anyone is going to build a new house in the LoS it's best to start by looking at the design of traditional Thai houses. The high vaulted ceilings going to vents in the eves with the walls angled inwards all on built on stilts. This is to maintain a constant updraft of cooler ground level air drawn from the shade.

If you combine this design with insulated cavity walls, ground source air conditioning and reflective tiles and finish minimizing heat absorption you're half way there.

One of the Thai universities did a design for a house that stays cool and could be built for around 500k. Can't find the source right now.

Still going to be bloody hot mind!

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Why doesn't the OP just acclimatise? Stop trying to make yourself cool, but condition your body to accept it. Stop sitting in a room that makes it feel like you're back home. Do it gradual and up the thermostat on your aircon daily. Same goes for the car. Aircon ain't worth siht (anagram) if you travel below 90km per hour. Just wind yer windows down. You're the problem. Not the heat.

Edited by sinbin

Why doesn't the OP just acclimatise? Stop trying to make yourself cool, but condition your body to accept it. Stop sitting in a room that makes it feel like you're back home. Do it gradual and up the thermostat on your aircon daily. Same goes for the car. Aircon ain't worth siht (anagram) if you travel below 90km per hour. Just wind yer windows down. You're the problem. Not the heat.

28 on the aircon with fan I am ok .can`t sleep when it is close to 34 , happy that

you can.......

• Like 1

28 on the aircon with fan I am ok .can`t sleep when it is close to 34 , happy that

you can.......

I was living in a small village 70 km. south of Maha Sarakham for many years. It was an old traditional house with one room downstairs and one room upstairs. In the hot season the heat wasn't a problem for me. We didn't have AC and after the first 2-3 month with 30-35 degrees at night the heat wasn't a big deal anymore.

if possible build a second wall arount the existing so you creat a cavity wall and as already suggested a second floating roof that extends well over the existing one, do not have concrete around the house or just minimal around the house : it will soak up the heat and radiate it in your walls.

• Like 1

I too live in Korat. A good insulation, like the type they spray in, is always a help. I have very good insulation in my attic space and if you touch my ceiling it is never hotter than about 80 F. But the problem in my house is the windows, I have 8 in my master bedroom so I have heavy blackout drapes that have a reflective white coating on the side facing out. They do help a lot but I think double pane windows would also help. The top floor will always be hotter than the bottom floor. I find in my house that the bottom floor is about 10 degrees F cooler than the top floor.

I insulated the cieling with 6" Fiberglass staycool and it is by far the best investment i made in my house. Before my air always needed fans and could never get the house to 28 on a hot day. Now it can easily get down to 28 also my tiles are cold when you walk on them. If i leave for a few hours with the ac off the house is still cooler then outside where before it would be hotter.

Shade trees. Not sure about prices in Korat but in Ubon you can buy mature trees for 5-8k฿ including transport and planting.

Triangle and Sylvester palms are about the right height to shade a two story house, they like full sun and are are drought tolerant.

• Like 1

I too live in Korat. A good insulation, like the type they spray in, is always a help. I have very good insulation in my attic space and if you touch my ceiling it is never hotter than about 80 F. But the problem in my house is the windows, I have 8 in my master bedroom so I have heavy blackout drapes that have a reflective white coating on the side facing out. They do help a lot but I think double pane windows would also help. The top floor will always be hotter than the bottom floor. I find in my house that the bottom floor is about 10 degrees F cooler than the top floor.

My bottom floor is also 10 degrees cooler than the top floor and the roof is insulate with rockwoll (stay cool) so nothing more I can do with the atic.The only thing now how I see it is the widows ,I trying to to find a supplier in korat that sells quality window film ,they say on 3m website that the film can reject up to 60% of the heat coming through your windows if you believe them.

link.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/

Good UV blocking window film can make a huge difference. I had four large windows done that got afternoon sun and you could really feel the difference. It's not going to help with your walls absorbing and reradiating heat but it will certainly keep a lot of the heat out that's coming in through your windows.

I had polyethylene sprayed inside and outside on my roof, and painting hvite, I put pvc vindow and door, a lot of work on the roof, but ok now.

I spent ca, 150, 000 Bath.

Insulate the interior walls with insulation backed drywall.

Install an exhaust fan in the roof to remove the hot air, electric or turbine drive,

Clad the outside walls off the house with wood strip or similar.

Double the depth of insulation in the attic.

install a capped vent on the ridge tiles to allow hot air to escape.

Plant large trees around the house to provide shade.

Instal air con driven by solar power.

Paint the house white.

Bury the house in soil, bank it up against the walls and make the roof into a patio.

If those things don't work, get back to me.

• Like 2

you can.......

You missed the '?' off at the end, dummy.

Edited by sinbin

I had polyethylene sprayed inside and outside on my roof, and painting hvite, I put pvc vindow and door, a lot of work on the roof, but ok now.

I spent ca, 150, 000 Bath.

If your roof gets a leak, can it be fixed easily or might it involve further costs because of this process?

Just wondering?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did anyone mention soffit vents? You have to have a way for outside air to enter at the bottom of the attic so it can rise and exit at the top. LINK

You can hold the ceiling insulation away from those vents with any number of a type of baffles. LINK

I would definitely use a reflective insulation between the rafters to help turn the radiated heat back.

The goal is to turn the radiated heat of the sun back while keeping a constant flow of outside air moving from bottom to top.

Edited by NeverSure

A little off topic but can anyone tell me why Thais do not use white tiles on the roofs. It would keep the attic space cooler than a darker color tile. Many counties with a hot climate primarily use white tile on the roofs.

you can.......

You missed the '?' off at the end, dummy.

The subject was ….. Someone have any solution to reduce the heat in a 2 story house ? .

For your information here in Korat city the temperature is more extreme then most places in Thailand 38 to 42 to is common from April to jun and night temperature is between 34 to 36 . why I live here? . My family work here. Acclimatise 24 years in Thailand.. (?) I am not English .....

Insulate the interior walls with insulation backed drywall.

Install an exhaust fan in the roof to remove the hot air, electric or turbine drive,

Clad the outside walls off the house with wood strip or similar.

Double the depth of insulation in the attic.

install a capped vent on the ridge tiles to allow hot air to escape.

Plant large trees around the house to provide shade.

Instal air con driven by solar power.

Paint the house white.

Bury the house in soil, bank it up against the walls and make the roof into a patio.

If those things don't work, get back to me.

Clad the outside walls off the house with wood strip or similar. like this one but use something else then wood. have you seen air con driven by solar power or fan driven by solar?

something like thispost-123692-0-43483100-1400943975_thumb.

An easy and cheap method is to install a black (metal if possible) chimney in the roof. The idea being that the black metal will get hotter than the roof cavity and will draw the hot air out through the chimney flue. A fan embedded in the ceiling to create air movement in the loft may also help.