Guns Don't Kill People...

Galong

You don't need a gun. Go to the states and bring youself back a couple aluminum baseball bats. Nothing puts the fear of God into a Thai dog like me with my 36 inch louisville slugger. I'm sure burglers would be the same.

Or you can just run down to Super Sports at Seri Center in Bangkok. I picked up a couple aluminum softball bats there for 4,000 Baht each. Not for work or play, just to have around the house.

...ah yes, they also have thinner wooden bats for less, 800-1200 Baht as I recall, but not sure how well they hold up when you really needed to use them 'over and over again.'

:o

Edited by Heng

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a handgun for protection too because there are a lot of crazy people in the world and you just never know. All the bad things you hear about in the news and nobody think it can happen to them. Well it can. It's better to be prepared. It's true, guns do not kill people. People kill people.

I do not live in Thailand though so I don't know about the laws.

So a gun will just fire itself 4 times into a victim? Spontaneous discharge? :o:D

What you said just solidified my point even more. A gun cannot just kill someone on it's own. It needs the human being behind it to manipulate it, point it and shoot. It's the person using the gun, not the gun itself.

You'll need permanent residency first. Tourists can't buy guns legally here.

Actually foreigners cannot own a gun full stop -

Actually I know more than a few foreigners with their por 4 gun registrations in their own name.

:D

Are these 'foreigners' of Chinese extraction?.

Just a fair question - if that's o.k..

Now - Thai law is very, very specific who gets to own guns. Whilst there is a fantastic amount of unaccounted for weaponry floating around Thailand and that is the way it is - I would very much doubt that you know any foreigner that has possesion of a firearm legally in Thailand.

Should said foreigner ever have a problem with an ex mental wife, business conflict, whatever and the MIB turn up - will they be able to prove under the law that they as a foreign national have legal entitlement to that firearm and who granted it?.

I suspect not, big time.

It is exceedingly difficult for a Thai to obtain a firearms permit and whilst there are many ways to obtain them illegally, we are speaking here about what is legal and not.

Goodness sakes, get across the border and buy an AK for 50 bucks - so and what?.

But if you feel that you are so unsafe in Thailand that you need a gun, perchance best that you re-locate to a place with big walls.

On the other hand, I feel that if the MIB find a farang in possesion of a hand gun (or indeed any gun) they are liable to enjoy the security of high walls for a long time. :D

These are westerners I'm referring to Saeb. The descendants of the Leonowens family for example are not only gunowners but are even gun SHOP owners / firearms importers. Another couple I know/knew were firearms instructors for Ramkhamhaeng and Thammasat universities. Again, all of these folks have PR OR citizenship (surely you don't believe their are laws that prevent westerners with Thai citizenship.... that is, they are THAI, from owning firearms?).

I own a handgun for protection too because there are a lot of crazy people in the world and you just never know. All the bad things you hear about in the news and nobody think it can happen to them. Well it can. It's better to be prepared. It's true, guns do not kill people. People kill people.

I do not live in Thailand though so I don't know about the laws.

So a gun will just fire itself 4 times into a victim? Spontaneous discharge? :o:D

What you said just solidified my point even more. A gun cannot just kill someone on it's own. It needs the human being behind it to manipulate it, point it and shoot. It's the person using the gun, not the gun itself.

I entirely agree.There is a lot of nonsense spouted on this subject.There is no problem with guns just the people who pull the triggers.For further background I would suggest interested parties check the National Rifle Association (NRA) in the USA.The NRA is well known for its wise and measured approach, and provides thoughtful arguments against the misguided fools who believe in gun control.Some of the anti-guns brigade come up with misleading arguments such as the annual death toll in the US from gunshots of around 30,000 compared with the UK total of about 200.Obviously that is a pure coincidence.If you believe the many academic studies that "irrefutably prove" homicide rates are directly linked to firearm ownership levels, you might as well equally believe that the gun loving proponents (usually Americans) of the argument that "people kill not guns" are in fact underendowed morons obsessed with the size of their tiny dicks.

Does anyone know if telescopic spring stell batons are availabe locally and from where? Also, is pepper spray available here. BTW I once inquired about importing a shotgun I have overeas to here. I merely needed to fill out a form and get a letter from my local police commander giving approval. I have a friend who is a retired Air Forse general and he says the importing is no big deal. I never pursued it because a) I wasn't really sure I wanted a gun here, and b ) just being able to import it does not ensure one can register it, which I never really checked out.

Edited by lannarebirth

Just compare USA and Europe and you'll have your answer.

Guns kills, no way around that. Regardless of NRA freaks would like the world to think.

Ok, what am I supposed to compare households with guns in Switzerland and amount of gun related deaths or gun related crime in Switzerland with the US?

Lets see, Switzerland has a higher number of households with guns than the US and a lower incidence of gun related deaths or crime with guns.

I think Switzerland is in Europe.

OK so I compared it, now what am I supposed to do?

Guns kills, no way around that. Regardless of NRA freaks would like the world to think.

Ok, what am I supposed to compare households with guns in Switzerland and amount of gun related deaths or gun related crime in Switzerland with the US?

Lets see, Switzerland has a higher number of households with guns than the US and a lower incidence of gun related deaths or crime with guns.

Apologies if wrong, but I think the guns owned by every Swiss household are kept locked up and strictly registered by the cantons, only taken out in emergencies for national self defence.

In contrast, the USA is a far bigger country with a wide and diverse ethnic range, and unfortunately in those groups there are some whose sense of identity and security is enhanced by the use of fire-arms; whether this is due to beliefs in the rights of the individual to defend himself with weapons or simply for criminal purposes is actually a moot point, for as pointed out by MS and Cassandra, any individual with an axe to grind, or rather an automatic weapon, is naturally a far more proficient killer than a youth with a stanley knife.

Thai TV is promoting gun violence just like American TV does.
The amount of gun violence on the evening Thai soaps is something I've yet to get used to. It just seems there's an incredible amount of shooting on these shows. And it's always laughable that when they show the dubbed farang movies later in the night all the guns are blurred out.

Apologies if wrong, but I think the guns owned by every Swiss household are kept locked up and strictly registered by the cantons, only taken out in emergencies for national self defence.

In contrast, the USA is a far bigger country with a wide and diverse ethnic range, and unfortunately in those groups there are some whose sense of identity and security is enhanced by the use of fire-arms; whether this is due to beliefs in the rights of the individual to defend himself with weapons or simply for criminal purposes is actually a moot point, for as pointed out by MS and Cassandra, any individual with an axe to grind, or rather an automatic weapon, is naturally a far more proficient killer than a youth with a stanley knife.

In America there are many people that use guns for crime but not everyone does that. So because of the bad people then no one should be legally allowed to own them? I have one for protection and self-defense just like you said the Swiss are doing. There are a lot of crazy, deranged people in the world and nothing will keep them at bay better than having your own gun. Doesn't mean you have to use it but nothing calms down some a**hole like having one. Therefore I will continue to own one.

Edited by TRIPxCORE

Another couple I know/knew were firearms instructors for Ramkhamhaeng and Thammasat universities. Again, all of these folks have PR OR citizenship (surely you don't believe their are laws that prevent westerners with Thai citizenship.... that is, they are THAI, from owning firearms?).

Well, there we go - a point clarified. PR or right to Abode ; Heng, if a foreigner with this right within Thailand is not allowed to VOTE for five years following their PR can you point out to me where it says in Thai law that ANY ALIEN MAY OWN a firearm regardless of the time spent in country and in what recourse they may apply for the permit to own one, the clasification of the firearm, and the zone in which it may be carried, and the zones through which it may be carried in a non armed state?.

We are remembering that we are speaking legalities here, aren't we?.

Guns don't kill people - idiots who want guns do.

If you choose to do your homework you will find that the laws regarding "Aliens" and guns are restrictive and probably have good cause to be so judging by some people who seem only able to resolve a dispute by resort to guns.

It is a point of note that those who mostly advocate gun use are those who have never seen the results of them or have had to use them.

Does anyone know if telescopic spring stell batons are availabe locally and from where? Also, is pepper spray available here. BTW I once inquired about importing a shotgun I have overeas to here. I merely needed to fill out a form and get a letter from my local police commander giving approval. I have a friend who is a retired Air Forse general and he says the importing is no big deal. I never pursued it because a) I wasn't really sure I wanted a gun here, and b ) just being able to import it does not ensure one can register it, which I never really checked out.

You are joking....please?.

So you put a shotgun in airfreight from wherever you are from- get it through security checks and with no export documentation then arrive at the freight shed at Don Muang to pick up a shotgun?.

No questions asked?.

Never ever forget that Thailand has more Air Force Generals that is has aircraft - ask around, your local tuk-tuk driver is probably a retired major. (domo).

And naturally, the local plods are just going to give you a letter saying it is quite o.k. for "Mr X" having this shooter........

Save yourself a whole load of hassle - forget it!.

Guns Don't Kill People...

...It's those little bullets they fire that do

To be honest, a pair of hands with the correct motivation can be so, so more violent.

The military use guns - it's part of the job, but pussies who cannot or will not have faith in their own ability to take care of their home, wife, family, whatever - well, sorry ; They are not men.

It all comes down to where do you draw the line and it has happened so often in the USA that a person has knocked at a door asking for help and has been shot dead.

Ridiculous, stupid and such a waste.

One is enough. Two is too much.

Guns are very profitable, the advertising is aimed (no pun intended) at guys who have insecurities and feel powerless - I am in the military supply business and refuse to even talk to any person who sees a weapon as a means of protection for anything they hold dear.

The chances of someone murdering you are remote compared to the risks we take for granted in a normal life, so why wish to carry a gun ?.

The military use guns - it's part of the job, but pussies who cannot or will not have faith in their own ability to take care of their home, wife, family, whatever - well, sorry ; They are not men.

This is strictly an opinion of which I disagree with. If 2-3 people choose to attack you or your family, I doubt you will have the ability to take care of them on your own and don't tell me you can. God forbid if that situation ever arises for you but if it does and you have no gun, then you'll understand.

Edited by TRIPxCORE

Another couple I know/knew were firearms instructors for Ramkhamhaeng and Thammasat universities. Again, all of these folks have PR OR citizenship (surely you don't believe their are laws that prevent westerners with Thai citizenship.... that is, they are THAI, from owning firearms?).

Well, there we go - a point clarified. PR or right to Abode ; Heng, if a foreigner with this right within Thailand is not allowed to VOTE for five years following their PR can you point out to me where it says in Thai law that ANY ALIEN MAY OWN a firearm regardless of the time spent in country and in what recourse they may apply for the permit to own one, the clasification of the firearm, and the zone in which it may be carried, and the zones through which it may be carried in a non armed state?.

We are remembering that we are speaking legalities here, aren't we?.

Haven't seen the law books and don't have any interest to do any research relating to the issue. I've only seen said western foreigners with their POR 4 gun registrations in their own name.

I don't have an interest in promoting gun use among any particular group, I'm merely saying that foreigners can legally own firearms simply because I have SEEN it.

:D

This is strictly an opinion of which I disagree with. If 2-3 people choose to attack you or your family, I doubt you will have the ability to take care of them on your own and don't tell me you can. God forbid if that situation ever arises for you but if it does and you have no gun, then you'll understand.

Yep, two dobermans, one 9mil Beretta

Yep, three dobermans, two 9mil Berettas and a partridge in a pear tree. :D