Book suggests missing Malaysian airliner accidentally shot down

Lite Beer

Book suggests missing Malaysian airliner accidentally shot down

Sydney - The first book about missing flight MH370 suggests it may have been shot down during a military exercise and the accident is being covered up, it was reported Sunday.

Flight MH370 - the Mystery, written by Anglo-American author Nigel Cawthorne, cites anonymous sources to suggest that misinformation was released so the search would concentrate on the wrong area, The Sun-Herald newspaper reported.

The book published by Sydney group New South cites a claim by New Zealander Mike McKay that he saw a burning plane from the oil rig he was working on in the Gulf of Thailand on March 8, the day the plane went missing.

Cawthorne links the supposed sighting to joint US military exercises in the region at the time.

Cawthorne writes if MH370 was accidentally shot down during live fire exercises "those involved would have every reason to keep quiet about it."

He even suggests that if a flight black box is found it could be a fake planted by those involved in the coverup. But, he added, "I’m not saying that’s what happened." The book goes on sale Monday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-18

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anythings possible but poor taste trying to profit from a book imo.

Nothing better to write about.

You would think more than 1 would see a burning plane going down from an oil rig

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

Must be a big novel. I mean, how many pages could it be?

After all what does he claim to see......a burning light In the sky at 40 miles or something. A few seconds later it was gone. Later he hears about the missing flight, puts 2 + 2 together and comes up with 654.3.

No doubt a riveting read and possibly the first novel to be printed on the rear of a postage stamp?

Can't wait until the movie comes out.

• Like 1

If MH370 has been shot down over Golf od Thailand, some debris should be found there – would be quite impossible to go down in one piece and disappear on buttom of the sea...?

Live fire exercises at 2 AM, shooting down an aircraft? Wouldn't it be unheard of to fire at a drone or anything along those lines at night, and along a commercial flight path?

Plus the diversion theory ignores the fact that the search was focused to the east for a good week or so, and not to the west. In fact there's a better case that the diversion would have been in focusing too long in the east.

• Like 1

I don't believe for a minute that the plane was shot down by accident. Cash in book without any proof whatsoever.

Then again, there's possibly some grain of truth that the search is in the wrong area. I can't be the only one on TVF that suspects that it may have gone north-west rather than south-east.

I hope the American Government does not sue Thai Visa for posting this rumor trash book

Or the Thai Government, The author claims it was a joint Thai/American military exercise. Besides it would be an easy one for either Govt to win since the author offers no proof.

One wonders how he explains the millions being spent by multiple govts, including the US, on the search effort if they already know where the plane is.......

It's called a 'cover up'. The more time, effort, and money invested in a cover up tends to lend credibility to the hypothesis offered by those covering up.

I'm going with the Occam's razor theory on the basis that among competing hypotheses, the one with the least assumptions should be selected. More complicated solutions may eventually prove to be correct, but in the absence of certainty—the least complex hypothesis should be selected.

Somebody in the US military got trigger happy accidentally, or the plane was considered a security risk (correctly or incorrectly) and the instructions were issued to bring it down. The quantum of misinformation released subsequent to the disappearance regarding flight paths, hijackings, transponders turned off, etc ad infinitum is just too far fetched to accept.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

One wonders how he explains the millions being spent by multiple govts, including the US, on the search effort if they already know where the plane is.......

It's called a 'cover up'. The more time, effort, and money invested in a cover up tends to lend credibility to the hypothesis offered by those covering up.

I'm going with the Occam's razor theory on the basis that among competing hypotheses, the one with the least assumptions should be selected. More complicated solutions may eventually prove to be correct, but in the absence of certainty—the least complex hypothesis should be selected.

Somebody in the US military got trigger happy accidentally, or the plane was considered a security risk (correctly or incorrectly) and the instructions were issued to bring it down. The quantum of misinformation released subsequent to the disappearance regarding flight paths, hijackings, transponders turned off, etc ad infinitum is just too far fetched to accept.

"...among competing hypotheses, the one with the least assumptions should be selected."

Or the one your publisher claims will sell the most books and get a movie offer from Chuck Norris or some other brain dead moron-sensationalist. The Bermuda triangle is still generating books, TV specials and movies 50 years after its invention in Argosy magazine

559334-55314-24.jpg

sd_loch_ness.jpg... and don't forget that all time high quality hypothesis generator , the Loch Ness Monster.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

So, the Chinese, the Vietnamese, the Malaysians and others all decided not to say anything about the US shooting down a plane? I don't think so. I think that even a hint of US military action would make for an unprecedented feeding frenzy.

What makes you think the US did the shooting down anyway? Don't you think anyone else is capable of doing it?

If your post was directed towards me, I concede that it could have been any of the military in the area including those twenty eight countries taking part in or observing the exercises at the time. If you apply the razor theory however, it points towards the US or arguably the UK as being the most technologically capable.