Three Russian Men Arrested in ATM Fraud

Rimmer

Three Russian Men Arrested in ATM Fraud

2210.jpg
PATTAYA – May 17, 2014, [PDN]: At 16:30 hours yesterday, the police officers arrested three Russian men at the Lumpini Condominium room, Bang Lamung, Pattaya for using fake electronic cards to withdraw cash from several ATM machines in Pattaya area.

The suspected are Mr. Dmitri Minki, aged 30 Mr. Aleksandr Li aged 37 and Mr. Aleksandr Lidzhiev were arrested with 88 cards, 6 video cameras, a skimmer and a notebook machines, 6 video cameras, and 12,000 baht of cash in their possession. The Pol.Col.Lt Katcha revealed that was notified from Kasikorn Bank that there were foreigners using fake ATM cards to withdraw cash from several ATM machines in Pattaya area.

The suspected confessed that they came to Thailand in the beginning of May and got the fake ATM cards from their Russian friends to withdraw cash from the ATM machines.
Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/05/18/three-russian-men-arrested-in-atm-fraud/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-05-18

The worst thing is that if you've been a victim of ATM fraud, most Thai banks will only reimburse the money that was withdrawn AFTER the card was reported to them as being stolen or comprimised, etc.

Edited by somchaismith

I don't understand how these guys get pinged. They must be thick because the BIB's investigating abilities are close to as useless as tits on a kipper.

Do they stand in suspicious group at a single ATM for 30 minutes and get observed using multiple "no name brand" cards while stuffing notes into a 7/11 bag?

Their MO should be one machine, one card, for one transaction (say 20,000B), then go to another machine 1.5klm away. Change your clothes/crash helmet every three machines, and use ATM's from different (all) banks. You could do this all day in Patts and get half a mill, then repeat daily without ever using the same machine twice in a week.

Hi I'm Vald Putin I need visa to run ATM scam want to have Visa so no problems How much is Fee for Fake passport and Potatoe nose mask? I'am quality tourist only wanted in 78 countries and face all over Interpol website ok to stay in Thailnd? I have lot's of bribe money.cheesy.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I don't understand how these guys get pinged. They must be thick because the BIB's investigating abilities are close to as useless as tits on a kipper.

Do they stand in suspicious group at a single ATM for 30 minutes and get observed using multiple "no name brand" cards while stuffing notes into a 7/11 bag?

Their MO should be one machine, one card, for one transaction (say 20,000B), then go to another machine 1.5klm away. Change your clothes/crash helmet every three machines, and use ATM's from different (all) banks. You could do this all day in Patts and get half a mill, then repeat daily without ever using the same machine twice in a week.

good heavens, dont help them commit even more crime

• Like 2

3 Russian’s arrested in ATM Fraud case

russia-5.jpg

PATTAYA:--On Saturday afternoon, at Pattaya Police Station, the Provincial Police Commander announced the arrest of 3 Russian Nationals accused of using ATM cards containing stolen bank account details to withdraw money from ATM’s around the Pattaya area.

Officers from the Provincial Transnational Crime Suppression Unit received informed from Kasikornbank that attempts to withdraw cash using the ATM cards had been made at various locations around Pattaya. After a tip-off the 3 men, Mr. Aleksandr Li aged 37, Mr. Dmitrii Minkin aged 30 and Mr. Aleksandr Lidzhiev aged 27, were arrested at an ATM in Soi Buakhao in Central Pattaya and were then taken to their rented apartment at the Lumpini Condominium on Jomtien Beach.

A total of 88 Bank Cards, a skimmer, Laptop Computer, 12,000 Baht in cash and 6 mini video cameras, which had been purchased from the Tuk Com IT Center in South Pattaya, were seized. The cameras were due to be fitted to ATM’s around Pattaya so PIN numbers could be obtained in conjunction with a further device which would be fitted to the machine to obtain further bank account information.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/128516/3-russians-arrested-in-atm-fraud-case/#sthash.XYFqEdA0.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-05-18

A reminder to check the card insert area for any add-on skimming devices and always cover your hand entering the PIN. I nearly pull the front off the machine in my exuberance.

I had a little turd of Eastern European extraction stand at my shoulder the other night and had to wave him off - well actually I towered over him and used language my Mother would not be proud of - he wasn't impressed but he moved. Heard of a few recent attempts (but nothing in the media) to do a grab and run as the money comes out of the slot.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

The worst thing is that if you've been a victim of ATM fraud, most Thai banks will only reimburse the money that was withdrawn AFTER the card was reported to them as being stolen or comprimised, etc.

Thats why I keep most of my money in the bank back home and only a a few thousand baht in the Thai account.

• Like 2

ah ha - the Russian tourist visa ATM skimmer scammers on holiday - lovely - I hope this one type of tourist that gets kicked out on multiple visa runs.... been lucky - I haven't been skimmed yet but it looks like quite a few from russia, romania and other eastern euro countries are doing the holiday side work here... other countries a s well so shouldn't say just eastern europe guys....

but yes - cover your hand on the pin numbers from a camera and try to use only a real bank ATM only... especially is downtown bkk, pattaya and phuket. anmd all tourist areas....

The guys that did my scam got 800k baht out in one day.I have it all on the cd the cops kindly lent me to make a few copies.

would be nice if the thai police in the article would take a pic of what teh darn skimmer looks like and the set up but would that be too much trouble - will look on you tube.....

vid on what to look for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IXANgr6Co

outside block sends data info to mobile phone !

heavy groove on the tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fnh8anlTs

this one in german but - fake keypad, short insert slot fake piece, and overhead camera add into the top for pin number

best way is to put one hand over the other to hide the pin number you enter....

The guys that did my scam got 800k baht out in one day.I have it all on the cd the cops kindly lent me to make a few copies.

wow - dude - hope you got the bank to cancel that !!! yikes....

also - happening all over da world.... not just here people.... usa big time...hide your pin number ...whoa... just looking on you tube and it is big biz....300 thou usd in PA usa... and when on holiday and drunked up here in LOS.... who thinks about it....aarrgghh

• Like 1

You think the cops and banks are not onto this in a big way.

They are catching a gang a week.

You will be surprised how good the BIB can be when suitable motivated.

They have 100's of eyes on the street.

My wife says more eyes than a pineapple in Pattaya do the cops through their networks.

• Like 1