Cannot sign my new Debit Card.

I have just received my new debit card (maestro) from my UK bank. When I try to sign it, the surface of the card is very shiny. and only a little ink comes from the pen, I tried another, and it makes no difference.

Since Aeon started charging at ATMs in Thailand, I refuse to use them, getting bank transfers instead. When I go to the UK soon. I land after banking hours and I will need to draw cash at the ATM at the airport.

Because I cannot sign my card properly, will I still get my cash? Am I right in thinking it is only your four digit number and expiry date the ATM recognises?

Yes for taking money from an ATM, you only need the card and the PIN number. If you haven't signed the card it won't stop you using the ATM card in a machine.

Try another pen though, as it is a debit card as well. Sometimes a very fine pen doesn't work so well, so get one with a medium size/ bigger nib that releases ink more quickly.

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

Yea, try another pen...I have experienced the same problem numerous times when I get my new debit/credit cards...it's just the pen. Some pens are just cheap and won't write worth a durn on some surfaces like slick surfaces. And don't use one of those pens where the ink flows out thick as it won't dry properly/fast enough and then your signature will smear when touching the card/sliding it in your wallet. Heck, one time I used such a pen that allowed too much ink to flow while signing the card, my signature got smeared, but I just used some isopropyl alcohol on a tisse to clean the signature off before the ink dried...then I found another pen to use and resigned.

I always seem to have the same problem. Sign the card and after a short time in my wallet the ink rubs off. Tried all sorts of pens, I will have a look for a C D pen The good thing is many times when I use it the teller notices that I haven't signed it and asks for I D

I always seem to have the same problem. Sign the card and after a short time in my wallet the ink rubs off. Tried all sorts of pens, I will have a look for a C D pen The good thing is many times when I use it the teller notices that I haven't signed it and asks for I D

I have never had that problem before with any card I have to sign, that's why I was a bit worried I may not be able to use it.

It has always seemed strange to me to have signatures on bank cards. Is this so that when a thief has your card he can then practice your signature? It is a strange courtesy.

I only sign cards when someone insists. Most of my cards are unsigned.

• Like 2

Yea, try another pen...I have experienced the same problem numerous times when I get my new debit/credit cards...it's just the pen. Some pens are just cheap and won't write worth a durn on some surfaces like slick surfaces. And don't use one of those pens where the ink flows out thick as it won't dry properly/fast enough and then your signature will smear when touching the card/sliding it in your wallet. Heck, one time I used such a pen that allowed too much ink to flow while signing the card, my signature got smeared, but I just used some isopropyl alcohol on a tisse to clean the signature off before the ink dried...then I found another pen to use and resigned.

You left your job because your signature got smudged?!

• Like 1

It has always seemed strange to me to have signatures on bank cards. Is this so that when a thief has your card he can then practice your signature? It is a strange courtesy.

I only sign cards when someone insists. Most of my cards are unsigned.

Great so if someone gets your unsigned card, signs it, uses it in a place that only checks the signature, you are then not covered by the guarantee. As a condition of almost all cards is that they are signed as soon as you get them.

Good security :(

• Like 1

When's the last time someone checked your signature on your debit card?

Today when I used it.

I can see the point a bit with the credit cards, but I only use my credit card on the net, so the signature is useless.

If you don't carry the card and never use it in person, only via the net or phone, then sure it is no problem. Unless somebody breaks into your house off course.

But if you carry a card and use it then a signature on the card makes using it a bit more safe and complys with the rules of most issuing company's, so you may be insured. If you don't you aren't.

I got my first debit card in the 80's have had several ever since. Never once has anyone asked to see my signature.

I find that hard to believe. In the 80's processes were a lot more manual. You handed your card to the cashier, the cashier would then put the card on one of those manual swipe machines, put the paper slips on top (which had carbon paper in them), swipe the machine across to make an imprint of the number and details and then ask you to sign. The cashier then checked your signature and handed the card back and your part of the slip.

People working in shops and stores were educated and trained that they were to check the signature on your debit card in the same way they checked your signature against your cheque guarantee card (remember those) and credit card

I'd agree with the poster above. While you may think your idea is preferable, the main flaws are you are ensuring that there will be no signature check, you're making it easy for anyone to just add their own signature to your card without signs of tampering, and you're also not complying with the terms and conditions of your card. Also doesn't bear thinking about that having allowed a thief to put their own signature on your debit card however they like, it's then much easier then for them to forge or create any other documents with that same easy signature. It may not be fantastic protection, but it does offer some, and does make it that bit harder, as well as complying with the T&C you signed and agreed to.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Firstly, I think there is some confusion between the words debit card and credit card. The only place you could use a debit card in the 80's was at bank machines. It wasn't until the 90's were I started to see debit card machines at stores so you could make purchases. Originally there was no place to sign a debit card. When this started I can't remember. What you need with a debit card is a pin number. If you know the pin you can use it.

With a credit card, there has always been a signature strip, and I remember checking signatures myself when I received payments by credit card. However in those days I remember using my parents credit cards and no one seemed to care that it wasn't my card. I also remember that people used to steal carbon imprints of credit card transactions and they conveniently had the card info and the signature too. So even at the beginning the signature was weak security. And it is no security at all these days because people use it on the internet and no one can see your signature.

I do sign my credit card, even though I almost never use it. I do not sign my debit card, as it seems all it does is give someone an example of my signature an important asset in identity theft.

Edited by canuckamuck

The first debit card that came out in the UK, where OP's from, was Barclay's Connect card in 1987.

If you just wanted to use it to withdraw money from an ATM like OP does, then the signature on the card was not needed.

However, because a debit card could also be used to make purchases it often needed to be signed in the same way as a cheque guarantee card or a credit card. In 1987 to make a purchase the process was as above signing slips and signature verification was the most common method of making a purchase. In fact if you took your average department store they didn't have the technology to accept a PIN number at point of sale and used manual signing. Entering PIN numbers at POS came later

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile