New Office open for residence letter in Chiangmai

cnx355

Thanks for the information.

Anybody know if there's somewhere to get photos taken (near) there? Also, last time I renewed 5-year driving licences (car & motorbike), the transport office took just one letter and a photocopy, not two original letters. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks.

Anybody know if there's somewhere to get photos taken (near) there? Also, last time I renewed 5-year driving licences (car & motorbike), the transport office took just one letter and a photocopy, not two original letters. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks.

I was there yesterday, yes that is still the case. get there early now as the queues have to be seen to be believed. You will be there at least half the day.

• Like 1

re

There is a sign in Thai only posted outside the window of the old office.

the bottom three lines of this sign is not in english ?

i need my eyes tested :(

re

You deposit your documents there, pay 500 Bahts per letter,and you pick-up the residence letter the next day between 13h00 and 16h00.

its not free anymore ?

dave2

post-42592-0-76175900-1400551765_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yes, 500 Baht expected, and there is a place in the building to get photos taken. Just go through the lefthand doorway (viewed from the main entrance). Through the doorway immediately on your left look for a blue rectangle on the wall, photo backdrop, and a couple of young ladies. One used a handheld digital camera. No line, 100 Baht for 4 pics. Went through the process yesterday, asked to return today after 1:00 for permit.

• Like 1

re

i need my eyes tested sad.png

re

You deposit your documents there, pay 500 Bahts per letter,and you pick-up the residence letter the next day between 13h00 and 16h00.

its not free anymore ?

dave2

I haven't read anywhere that it officially incurs a 500 baht charge, but I imagine the free one will take two weeks.

I guess the issuance of a receipt or not, will answer that question

re

re

its not free anymore ?

dave2

I haven't read anywhere that it officially incurs a 500 baht charge, but I imagine the free one will take two weeks.

100 baht for 8-10 days, 500 baht for 24 hours, as already stated.

re

re

its not free anymore ?

dave2

By Immigration?

re

Yes, 500 Baht expected.

ok thanks for that :)

re

a couple of young ladies. One used a handheld digital camera

ahh more little lovelies from the far eastern university in trainer bras :)

thats all we need :) .... dave2

pic .. new graffiti

post-42592-0-29436800-1400555301_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks.

I was there yesterday, yes that is still the case. get there early now as the queues have to be seen to be believed. You will be there at least half the day.

Thanks DN. I think I know why the queues. Rules for getting licences change next month, apparently. Oh well, not much choice.

re

re

its not free anymore ?

dave2

By Immigration?

They told me, I'm telling you.

So the answer is yes, no and maybe.

• Like 2

I won't try to generalise or predict what might be the case for others, but will report my experience today.

When I gave my documents to the woman at the desk, I mentioned (in Thai, with a smile) that I was happy to receive the letter next week, but she gave me a slip for the next day and asked for 500 baht. I repeated (with a smile) that next week was OK for me, so she started to give me a slip for 3rd June, two weeks away (and, crucially, after the new driving licence arrangements kick in). I questioned this, politely, I think, and she popped off to see the supervisor, who came back with her (saying something about the transport office) and told her to give me 23rd June. At which point I gracefully accepted the next day slip and paid my 500 baht. No receipt.

Good luck!

I won't try to generalise or predict what might be the case for others, but will report my experience today.

When I gave my documents to the woman at the desk, I mentioned (in Thai, with a smile) that I was happy to receive the letter next week, but she gave me a slip for the next day and asked for 500 baht. I repeated (with a smile) that next week was OK for me, so she started to give me a slip for 3rd June, two weeks away (and, crucially, after the new driving licence arrangements kick in). I questioned this, politely, I think, and she popped off to see the supervisor, who came back with her (saying something about the transport office) and told her to give me 23rd June. At which point I gracefully accepted the next day slip and paid my 500 baht. No receipt.

Good luck!

Yes, some things are much easier if you go with the flow wink.png

Edited by uptheos

I am sad to say that my Thai drivers license issued in 2000 will expire in January of 2015.

2 questions...

All the articles or blog posts I read about tough new rules and long waits seem to apply to new applicants or people getting commercial licenses. If you are just going in with a valid Thai license and asking for renewal, should you plan to spend half a day?

My wife's 5-year license will expire soon after. However, it was issued after we moved to Chiang Mai with the required certificate of residency. If you are still at the same address and can prove it with bills, lease agreements, etc, does the renewal process still require a residency document?

I am sad to say that my Thai drivers license issued in 2000 will expire in January of 2015.

2 questions...

All the articles or blog posts I read about tough new rules and long waits seem to apply to new applicants or people getting commercial licenses. If you are just going in with a valid Thai license and asking for renewal, should you plan to spend half a day?

My wife's 5-year license will expire soon after. However, it was issued after we moved to Chiang Mai with the required certificate of residency. If you are still at the same address and can prove it with bills, lease agreements, etc, does the renewal process still require a residency document?

As far as I understand, you must have a Certificate of Residence from Immigration or your Consulate to renew a licence.

I was at the Transport Office yesterday to renew my licences and it was unbelievably busy because of the (overdue) and stricter new rules coming in soon for getting a licence....the very helpful lady in the Transport Office told me that there were hundreds of people in rooms applying (getting the mandatory few hours training) for their licences before the new rules come into force.

The place was rammed! Every seat taken!

I was at the Transport Office yesterday to renew my licences and it was unbelievably busy because of the (overdue) and stricter new rules coming in soon for getting a licence....the very helpful lady in the Transport Office told me that there were hundreds of people in rooms applying (getting the mandatory few hours training) for their licences before the new rules come into force.

Are these new rules for people seeking a licence for the first time or does it apply to renewals too ? (I hope not )

New office makes life easy... park outside door, walk in fill out form, hand over docs + 500Bt, out the door in under 10mins. Pick up letter 1pm tomorrow.

Would be so much better if you picked up the letter 10 minutes later rather than a day later. That's what it was like 4 or 5 years ago when I got my last one thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Are these new rules for people seeking a licence for the first time or does it apply to renewals too ? (I hope not )

I think you need one for renewal.

New office makes life easy... park outside door, walk in fill out form, hand over docs + 500Bt, out the door in under 10mins. Pick up letter 1pm tomorrow.

Would be so much better if you picked up the letter 10 minutes later rather than a day later. That's what it was like 4 or 5 years ago when I got my last one thumbsup.gif

I agree. Be even better if FREE and on demand like in Phuket a few years back. Best part is this may be the last one needed ... for Yellow Book :)

I agree. Be even better if FREE and on demand like in Phuket a few years back. Best part is this may be the last one needed ..hats inth. for Yellow Book smile.png

Free in CNX until 2007 but that's in the past.

I agree. Be even better if FREE and on demand like in Phuket a few years back. Best part is this may be the last one needed ..hats inth. for Yellow Book smile.png

If they want to charge for it, then Thailand Immigration should just list the fee along with all its other services!

• Like 1

It was free for awhile after they started to re-issue the certificates again in 2013. We got our free one in 2014. I guess with all the turmoil in the country they think they can return to gauging "rich" foreigners once again just like the Thai banks are doing charging now 180B for ATM withdrawals using a foreign DC.

It was free for awhile after they started to re-issue the certificates again in 2013. We got our free one in 2014. I guess with all the turmoil in the country they think they can return to gauging "rich" foreigners once again just like the Thai banks are doing charging now 180B for ATM withdrawals using a foreign DC.

You can always go your embassy or consulate and pay their fee.wink.png

You can always go your embassy or consulate and pay their fee.wink.png

Sure you can, the same as if the BIB stop you for an offence, you can always go to the station and have the hassle of paying the full whack instead of 200 Baht on the spot!

I imagine that this change could significantly reduce the wait times for visas at the original immigration office?

Not necessarily as the certificate of residence were done in a separate box room just behind the main office.

However, if you have been following this forum, you will notice most people have very little waiting time.

• Like 1

I imagine that this change could significantly reduce the wait times for visas at the original immigration office?

Not necessarily as the certificate of residence were done in a separate box room just behind the main office.

However, if you have been following this forum, you will notice most people have very little waiting time.

I was at Imm yesterday afternoon,have to change stamp to new passport,was told come

back tomorrow now full.Was there this morning 8.05 they start working at 8.30 and was

told again,come back tomorrow,today full!!!!