PCAD to sue web editor for 'distorting' Suthep's speech

webfact

PCAD To Sue Web Editor For "Distorting" Suthep's Speech
By Khaosod English

14004859831400486020l.jpg
PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban speaking at the Government House, 17 May 2014.

BANGKOK — A prominent anti-government activist is reportedly planning to sue the editor of a popular Thai website over critical remarks about anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban.

The editor of Kapook, Poramet Minsiri, angered many anti-government protesters when he claimed on Twitter that Mr. Suthep, the self-appointed leader of the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), is willing to use his "Sovereign Power" to summarily execute, detain, and seize the assets of his opponents once he manages to topple the government.

Mr. Poramet's comment was a paraphrase of Mr. Suthep's speech, delivered at a PCAD rally stage in April, in which he announced plans to appoint himself as a "Sovereign Body" and wield absolute power through a number of "Revolutionary Decrees" that would grant him authority similar to that which was enjoyed by the military dictatorship in 1960s.

Although Mr. Suthep did not explicitly threaten to order summary executions, he did mention that he would be able to do so as a "Sovereign Body": "We will have something like Article 17 [of 1959 Administrative Charter] as the highest law ... will be able to order anyone to be executed by firing squad, but I will only freeze assets."

However, another PCAD activist, former Democrat MP Satit Wongnongtoey, has deemed Mr. Poramet's interpretation of the speech unacceptable. Yesterday, Mr. Satit told the anti-government newspaper Manager ASTV yesterday that he is consulting with his lawyer to bring a libel lawsuit against the Kapook editor.

"I insist that Mr. Suthep's movements have nothing to do with violence, let alone the threats of execution," Manager ASTV quoted Mr. Satit as saying. He did not mention when his lawyer will file charges against Mr. Poramet.

Responding to the threat of libel lawsuit, Mr. Poramet released a statement claiming that he is an impartial observer, equally critical of both the ruling Pheu Thai Party and the PCAD.

"I find it incredible that all the time I have been exposing Thaksin Administration and Pheu Thai Party for many years, I have not been threatened by any legal action. But today I have received the news that the lawyer of a Democrat Party politician intends to sue me only few months after I criticised Mr. Suthep," Mr. Poramet said in the statement.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400485983

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-19

What a laugh

Although Mr. Suthep did not explicitly threaten to order summary executions, he did mention that he would be able to do so as a "Sovereign Body": "We will have something like Article 17 [of 1959 Administrative Charter] as the highest law ... will be able to order anyone to be executed by firing squad, but I will only freeze assets."

Why is Mr. Suthep afraid of his own shadow? Is the truth too scary for him to see? Has he looked at his reflected image lately? I am sure he will be shocked to see his own reflection - that is if he can see himself at all...

People are marching in the streets, not against dictatorship, but specifically for it; to give unilateral power of life and death to some crazy eyed, megalomaniac politician.

The more I think about it the crazier it gets.

What is wrong with these people.

Same style exactly as Gen Augusto Pinochet in Chile in 1973 and we all know from history, what came after that

What chance would us falangs have ?sad.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

This guy is a complete and utter raving lunatic. The whole 'anti-government' movement is. If you tried that in a western country, like Britain or Ireland, they'd go berserk. These absolute ignorant, pompous fools are so brainwashed, it's unbelievable. 'Lets get democracy by raping democracy everybody'...It's disgusting. Back to Suthep though...I've no words to fully describe how arrogant, narcissistic, delusional and generally crazy he is. They're poking a sleeping dog here...the red-shirts are almost awake, and when they make a move, it's either civil war or total surrender on the yellow side. It's pure, out and out elitism. Reminds me of the south african apartheid...Except with far, far more delusional idiots.

Al Jazeera America agrees with you. Google the article named Thailand on the brink of civil war

People are marching in the streets, not against dictatorship, but specifically for it; to give unilateral power of life and death to some crazy eyed, megalomaniac politician.

Same style exactly as Gen Augusto Pinochet in Chile in 1973 and we all know from history, what came after that

Oh, I'm not sure when or if it will happen, but I'm already prepared for the inevitable vilification of foreigners that will accompany any all-out civil war. It's an historical certainty that the media will find it's finger pointed squarely at us when it really goes down- more so if mad dog somehow finds his way to power, with or without a violent revolt. Dictators feed on scapegoats.

Bit dramatic, I know. But these do seem like dramatic times to my eye.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm not sure when or if it will happen, but I'm already prepared for the inevitable vilification of foreigners that will accompany any all-out civil war. It's an historical certainty that the media will find it's finger pointed squarely at us when it really goes down- more so if mad dog somehow finds his way to power, with or without a violent revolt. Dictators feed on scapegoats.

Not at all dramatic unsure.png …………… I'm just glad I can walk out without any ties if necessary.

But what a tragedy for the countrysad.png

As a rule, fascist governments are dominated by a dictator, who usually possesses a magnetic personality, appeals to strident nationalism; and promotes suspicion or hatred of both foreigners and “impure” people within his own nation,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fascism?s=t

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

Suthep's speech was ludicrous enough, but Khaosod deliberately set out to make it worse. That was true before, and it is true today in Khaosod's follow-up article. Despite all the pains Suthep and others have taken to set Khaosod straight on their outlandish slant - has been met with deaf ears. Khaosod continues to do so, because their narrative hasn't changed one iota. Khaosod routinely not only stretches but breaks every journalistic ethic. No reputable journalistic school would allow what Khaosod does. Khaosod invariably exposes their bias when compared to other publications. It seems like they almost inhabit a different planet. Khaosod has long distinguished itself as the worst publication of it is kind. It deserves to be seen at Seven Eleven outlets in the North right next to the magazines with Thaksin's face.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

As long as libel and defamation suits are filed against media outlets at the drop of a hat in Thailand, there will never be any freedom of the press. Besides, if it was Suthep that was allegedly libeled, should he be the one filing the charges and not some uninterested party?

Uninterested party? Read the OP again, I would say. PCAD is being misquoted and a PCAD activist, former Democrat MP Satit Wongnongtoey has deemed that speech interpretation unacceptable.

Anyway, even Thaksin had help from the (it's not about Thaksin) Pheu Thai party MPs who thought their boss was being defamed.

Suthep's speech was ludicrous enough, but Khaosod deliberately set out to make it worse. That was true before, and it is true today in Khaosod's follow-up article. Despite all the pains Suthep and others have taken to set Khaosod straight on their outlandish slant - has been met with deaf ears. Khaosod continues to do so, because their narrative hasn't changed one iota. Khaosod routinely not only stretches but breaks every journalistic ethic. No reputable journalistic school would allow what Khaosod does. Khaosod invariably exposes their bias when compared to other publications. It seems like they almost inhabit a different planet. Khaosod has long distinguished itself as the worst publication of it is kind. It deserves to be seen at Seven Eleven outlets in the North right next to the magazines with Thaksin's face.

That's interesting. Examples?

• Like 1

Agreed. And what is your opinion about The Nation?

They have been bought and paid for by Thaksin. Plus there is the continuous ongoing daily brainwashing by the red media.

Thailand is now circling the drain. At best it is only a matter of weeks. Let's hope the military moves soon, and when it does, move with surgical precision and decisiveness.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's interesting. Examples?

Agreed. And what is your opinion about The Nation?

Don't bother people. Scamper's merely a mouthpiece. He never responds directly.

• Like 2

PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban speaking at the Government House, 17 May 2014

Is he the leader of the PCAD or PDRC?

Bloody Judian Peoples Front and the Peoples Front of Judia.

• Like 1

This guy is a complete and utter raving lunatic. The whole 'anti-government' movement is. If you tried that in a western country, like Britain or Ireland, they'd go berserk. These absolute ignorant, pompous fools are so brainwashed, it's unbelievable. 'Lets get democracy by raping democracy everybody'...It's disgusting. Back to Suthep though...I've no words to fully describe how arrogant, narcissistic, delusional and generally crazy he is. They're poking a sleeping dog here...the red-shirts are almost awake, and when they make a move, it's either civil war or total surrender on the yellow side. It's pure, out and out elitism. Reminds me of the south african apartheid...Except with far, far more delusional idiots.

Agreed he's a bit mad sometimes but you can't really judge it as if it's a western democracy. They wouldn't end up with a government like this so there wouldn't be the same incentive to act as he does. Hopefully someone will get everyone sat down to talk and he can go home or prison depending how it all works out.

It looked hopeful when Abhisit came up with some sort of plan which Yingluck seemed to be prepared to discuss. I don't know what happened but I wouldn't be surprised if that other self centred individual Thaksin was the problem. Maybe we could lock them in a room together.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not at all dramatic unsure.png …………… I'm just glad I can walk out without any ties if necessary.

As a rule, fascist governments are dominated by a dictator, who usually possesses a magnetic personality, appeals to strident nationalism; and promotes suspicion or hatred of both foreigners and “impure” people within his own nation,

Not at all dramatic, how?

Suthep isn't in office, and frankly, not very likely that he personally would get there.

To a certain degree, almost all Thai governments displayed some elements of fascism.

Magnetic personality, eh? Not sure how much that's true nowadays as far as Suthep goes.

There was no persistent anti-foreigner trend, rather a childish attitude toward foreign press not playing along.

This by itself isn't unique to the PDRC, other Thai politician reacted badly to members of the press in the past.

There are outbursts of xenophobia, and nationalism - but they are not limited to this side or another. If memory

serves, during the last government's there were rumors spread about foreigners owning huge chunks of Thai

soil, for example.

Been both to Red-shirt and PDRC rallies, was pretty much the same. Maybe 2010 felt more aggression and a

little more potential threat, but can't say it was overt or anything, and anyway not directed at foreigners specifically.

So actually, yes, drama. At least for now.

• Like 1

Not at all dramatic, how?

Suthep isn't in office, and frankly, not very likely that he personally would get there.

To a certain degree, almost all Thai governments displayed some elements of fascism.

Magnetic personality, eh? Not sure how much that's true nowadays as far as Suthep goes.

There was no persistent anti-foreigner trend, rather a childish attitude toward foreign press not playing along.

This by itself isn't unique to the PDRC, other Thai politician reacted badly to members of the press in the past.

There are outbursts of xenophobia, and nationalism - but they are not limited to this side or another. If memory

serves, during the last government's there were rumors spread about foreigners owning huge chunks of Thai

soil, for example.

Been both to Red-shirt and PDRC rallies, was pretty much the same. Maybe 2010 felt more aggression and a

little more potential threat, but can't say it was overt or anything, and anyway not directed at foreigners specifically.

So actually, yes, drama. At least for now.

It is a universal quality of Thai politics that when something goes wrong, normally, you can rattle the foreigners cage to divery everyone.

That said, the yellows are waaaay ahead in the nationalistic stages. I wonder why they haven't had a Phraer Viharn moment for a while. Thats always good for a jolly in the countryside.