Thailand's army invokes martial law: military TV

webfact

Has anyone noticed problems with incoming emails from abroad today? Like most people, I get the usual load of personal and junk mail and news summaries, throughout a normal day.

Today nowt, zero, nada, rien, ...since the TV morning mail that started off this thread.

And yet, by testing a "send" to my wife INSIDE the country, she got my email no problem. But her reply to me has not arrived in three hours. (Yet, my email to her would first have to go to my home country and be bounced back from there.)

Any techies willing to explain to this numpty?

I have multiple accounts at multiple domains and no problems.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And when the military takes out a half-dozen or so Red leaders, it'll stop.

aye because theyve been really good at that in the South laugh.png

They're currently trying to police the south. I shouldn't think they'll take the same strategy with the north.

In Thailand, if you want to change money from one denomination to another, you wait in line, fill out forms, sign several pieces of paper.

However, if you want to take over the country, you can just arrange to roll a couple of tanks up a main street in Bangkok. Voila, it's yours.

The BBC has very high and exacting standards which are monitored very closely.

Jonathan Head is an excellent reporter and you don't like him because he doesn't take any notice of the yellow propaganda and reports fairly and squarely. Good for him and proud of the BBC.

Because the BBC report objectively they are always criticised. Jonathan Head is an objective reporter.
So it is 6 AM and I am watching CNN. No mention of it.. Let's try BBC.
You've got to be joking! The BBC are sxxt scared of reporting anything to do with Thailand; seems the country doesn't exist for them; but maybe, just maybe they will report this. The Australian network seem to have enough balls to report what's going on from what I've seen over the past few year, so thank goodness for impartial reporting!.
It's been the lead item on BBC World News all day.
I have watched all the reports by Jonathan Head and I would certainly not agree that all his reports were objective, in fact I would say back at the beginning he was decidedly incorrect in his analysis of the situation.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But he's the reporter not you,your just another arm chair critique.

But still a valid critique. Or is that not allowed in Lanna?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In Thailand, if you want to change money from one denomination to another, you wait in line, fill out forms, sign several pieces of paper.

However, if you want to take over the country, you can just arrange to roll a couple of tanks up a main street in Bangkok. Voila, it's yours.

I would imagine if you own a few tanks and roll them up outside the money changers you could persuade the people in the queue to let you go first!

• Like 1

They're currently trying to police the south. I shouldn't think they'll take the same strategy with the north.

What absolute pish are you talking? I mean seriously?

If this developed into some kind of guerilla war are you suggessting the army would adopt some kind of scorched earth policy? laugh.png

Nevermind the fact the majority of army recruits hail from these areas, theyll be chomping at the bit to burn down mamas farm facepalm.gif

This tired yellow cheer leading is so embarassing. You dont sound middle class or less sexually deviant and we all still think you are right wing sex pats trying to distance yourselves from your telak sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

What absolute pish are you talking? I mean seriously?

If this developed into some kind of guerilla war are you suggessting the army would adopt some kind of scorched earth policy? laugh.png

Nevermind the fact the majority of army recruits hail from these areas, theyll be chomping at the bit to burn down mamas farm facepalm.gif

This tired yellow cheer leading is so embarassing. You dont sound middle class or less sexually deviant and we all still think you are right wing sex pats trying to distance yourselves from your telak sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

:drunk:

Put the bottle down.

Has anyone noticed problems with incoming emails from abroad today? Like most people, I get the usual load of personal and junk mail and news summaries, throughout a normal day.

Today nowt, zero, nada, rien, ...since the TV morning mail that started off this thread.

And yet, by testing a "send" to my wife INSIDE the country, she got my email no problem. But her reply to me has not arrived in three hours. (Yet, my email to her would first have to go to my home country and be bounced back from there.)

Send an email to yourself, that confirms you can receive email from your overseas email provider.

Have your wife do the same, send it to herself (I assume her's is based in Thailand)

If that works, the "logical" explanation is her Thai email may not be sending overseas, to your email account.

If not, check with the American NSA, they may have taken it.

• Like 1

This was always going to happen. Thaksin did not cede a single thing to the protests : even the dissolving of Parliament was intended to get them a fresh mandate to justify ignoring everybody. Everything is due to his ego and stubbornness not to back down to anybody.

We can only hope now that the army will force some politcal reform which prevent such corruption as we have seen from Pheu Thai and the police - then hold full and free elections as soon as possible. Prayuth seems to be a good man : I suppose now we are going to find out for sure if he is or not.

As a farang, this move makes me more confident in the future of Thailand, not less.

"We can only hope now that the army will force some politcal reform which prevent such corruption as we have seen from Pheu Thai and the police - then hold full and free elections as soon as possible"

And when full and free elections are held, who do you think will win (again)?

If and when full and free elections are held, then Thai people will get the Government they deserve! Whether their Government is corrupt or not.

Edit - spelling correction

Edited by lvr181
  • Like 1

When free elections are held, the north and north east will still choose the government.

What the elite need to do if they really want to get back in control, is to create their own populist parties to split, or perhaps win the vote.

But I fear they are too lazy for real politics.

When free elections are held, the north and north east will still choose the government.

What the elite need to do if they really want to get back in control, is to create their own populist parties to split, or perhaps win the vote.

Thailand needs less not more populist parties.

Thailand needs a party that can look at the long term using normal budgetary constraints to develop infrastructure and a thriving economy .. not more rice schemes. Tablet schemes. Car schemes .. but unfortunately i fear Thais in general have been so pandered by populist politics it may never happen!

What is "real politics "?

The north and Issan won't necessarily always vote as a bloc. It's possible some will learn to think for themselves instead of how they're told to think. Heck, Thailand may actually get some open debates between candidates during lead-up to elections. Here are some reasons there are no televised debates in Thai politics:

>>>> Candidates are too afraid of defamation of character suits.

>>>> Candidates cannot think on their feet.

>>>> Candidates are all party-list, so what they think is immaterial. Their party dictates policy.

>>>> Candidates are forbidden to stray from party dictates.

>>>> It's easier to just pay pu yai ban (village headmen) to deliver blocs of votes

>>>> a son or daughter of a former big shot politician is a shoe-in to take over.

>>>> Thais would rather watch soap operas than debates on TV.

>>>> Why waste calories debating, when all you need to do (besides paying for votes) is make a few pie-in-the-sky promises.

and the final reason there are no open political debates in Thailand:

If you're a candidate opposing a Red Shirt, you're likely to get bullied or worse.

The BBC has very high and exacting standards which are monitored very closely.

Jonathan Head is an excellent reporter and you don't like him because he doesn't take any notice of the yellow propaganda and reports fairly and squarely. Good for him and proud of the BBC.

Because the BBC report objectively they are always criticised. Jonathan Head is an objective reporter.

So it is 6 AM and I am watching CNN. No mention of it.. Let's try BBC.

You've got to be joking! The BBC are sxxt scared of reporting anything to do with Thailand; seems the country doesn't exist for them; but maybe, just maybe they will report this. The Australian network seem to have enough balls to report what's going on from what I've seen over the past few year, so thank goodness for impartial reporting!.

It's been the lead item on BBC World News all day.

J Head is not often objective. His reports always have a pro govt bias. I'm not saying he's pro red, I doubt he gives a toss to be honest and he's better than Rachel "worst case scenario" Harvey was, but he never questions the govt line.

Thailand needs less not more populist parties.

Thailand needs a party that can look at the long term using normal budgetary constraints to develop infrastructure and a thriving economy .. not more rice schemes. Tablet schemes. Car schemes .. but unfortunately i fear Thais in general have been so pandered by populist politics it may never happen!

What is "real politics "?

You are right, but your point of view is idealistic and idealism rarely carries the vote these days. Elections are about gaining power and keeping it. In Thailand's present level of voter sophistication, you are only going to win through populism or nationalism. And nationalism isn't working for the yellows.

If someone wants to win the next election, they need to either; fracture the red coalition, split the vote, or beat them at their own game. How can the Yellows possibly win an election when they clearly do not care about or even appear to respect the majority.

Real politics is winning the hearts and minds as well as the back room diplomatic battles. It would not be difficult to be better at that than the reds.

• Like 1

J Head is not often objective. His reports always have a pro govt bias. I'm not saying he's pro red, I doubt he gives a toss to be honest and he's better than Rachel "worst case scenario" Harvey was, but he never questions the govt line.

Because he reports both sides, he's pro-government?

It's HOW he reports .. he is not exactly an energetic reporter. More a listen and pass on information reporter..

• Like 1

Just watching the Australian Network an Australian Government T.V Station and they just had a 20 minute positive interview with red shirt leaders. This is being beamed straight back into Thailand via Australia Network. No Breach of martial law there.

Just hope the Army don't cut the Australia Network for those getting it via places lice true etc. I get it direct via satellite, stand alone....

Aussies like the footy on the weekend.

Just watching the Australian Network an Australian Government T.V Station and they just had a 20 minute positive interview with red shirt leaders. This is being beamed straight back into Thailand via Australia Network. No Breach of martial law there.

Just hope the Army don't cut the Australia Network for those getting it via places lice true etc. I get it direct via satellite, stand alone....

Aussies like the footy on the weekend.

Didn't the Australian government cut the budget .. soon going to be the end of Australia network.

He doesn't report both sides. He parrots the govt line on what each side stands for. They are not the same thing.

I think he takes the easiest option which is to go along with whatever the authorities tell him.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1