When is it OK to generalize about Thai women?

SandyFeet

Generalisation comes from ignorance about variety, this is a normal part of the human learning process.

If a kid is robbed by black people frequently, and the kid has little exposure to other black people, he will grow up assuming black people are thieves and be branded a racist.

Likewise if a farang hangs around lady bars all day and never meets non-sex working Thai girls, he is going to assume that Thai girls just want money, he doesn't get branded a racist though for some reason.

Good point, but surely sometimes it's useful. Telling someone new to Thailand, "Thai people are offended if you insult their King or country" is a generalization, but a useful one.

Good points, both. Unfortunately, when farangs generalize about Thais, it almost always slants towards the negative. Especially from the usual suspects.

Thai women are a special case. There's such a huge difference between Thai women who date farangs (let's say roughly 10% of Thai females) and Thai women who don't (the other 90%). So typically, farangs on TV (or farangs in general) are talking about this 10%. How this 10% can then morph into 100% is the sociological question of the century.

So you're effectively saying that 10% of Thai women are of the bar girl sex-worker type ? How do you know so much about the other 90%, that other Farang don't ? Why are Thai women a special case ? Seems to be that you are making a lot of generalisations, especially about Farang in general .

Where did I say that 10% of Thai women are BG's? Read my post again. I'm suggesting that only about 10% of Thai women date farangs. Now within that 10%, a good number are BG's, and it differs by region. In Pattaya, much higher than say Chiang Mai.

Generalisation comes from ignorance about variety, this is a normal part of the human learning process.

If a kid is robbed by black people frequently, and the kid has little exposure to other black people, he will grow up assuming black people are thieves and be branded a racist.

Likewise if a farang hangs around lady bars all day and never meets non-sex working Thai girls, he is going to assume that Thai girls just want money, he doesn't get branded a racist though for some reason.

This man is a racist. Why use negroes as an example of people who rob. Because he knows who to fear...........lol.

Good point, but surely sometimes it's useful. Telling someone new to Thailand, "Thai people are offended if you insult their King or country" is a generalization, but a useful one.

To tell a newbie that "Thai people are offended if you insult their king or country" is not a generalization, it is a rule. If caught, and you're lucky, you could only pass through the bar and get yourself back home. Or you may get home in pool of blood...coffee1.gif

You need to qualify your statements. Example: Thai ladies only want money.

Qualified: From my experience Thai ladies only want money.

Or: all the Thai ladies I know only wanted money.

Very few things are ever 100%. But... I do think many Thai ladies are mainly interested in money :)

• Like 1

Very few things are ever 100%. But... I do think many Thai ladies are mainly interested in money smile.png

SO ARE MEN AND WOMEN OF ALL NATIONALITIES

Very few things are ever 100%. But... I do think many Thai ladies are mainly interested in money smile.png

I haven't met many (if any) men who expected to make money out of a relationship with a woman.

I have, however, met many women who expected to profit from their relationship with a man.

(I used to work as a divorce lawyer, so feel qualified to comment on the 'profit' aspect of relationships. Without exception, ALL my female clients wanted 100% of the marital assets, while the man generally would have been happy with a 50/50 split. No multi-millionairs included, just average middle class couples.)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I haven't met many (if any) men who expected to make money out of a relationship with a woman.

I have, however, met many women who expected to profit from their relationship with a man.

(I used to work as a divorce lawyer, so feel qualified to comment on the 'profit' aspect of relationships. Without exception, ALL my female clients wanted 100% of the marital assets, while the man generally would have been happy with a 50/50 split. No multi-millionairs included.)

lol!!!

It's never really ok to generalise about anyone.

So I take it you've never had exposure to marketing? Advertising and marketing have to assume some stereotypes in order to appeal to target groups. Stereotypes come about by generalizing.

Just remember, it's never okay to generalize about anything, including this statement. ;-)

But does this really exist and is it really valid??? I mean here we have a full forum of hundreds of thousands and they all are married to thai-chinese high and/or middleclass that makes their own money have gone to university and never wants falangsmoney.

So why do so many of the guys here complain and cry about thai women takes money from falang and doesn´t love him for who he is...

Just wondering......Something is badly wrong here....

Glegolo

But does this really exist and is it really valid??? I mean here we have a full forum of hundreds of thousands and they all are married to thai-chinese high and/or middleclass that makes their own money have gone to university and never wants falangsmoney.

So why do so many of the guys here complain and cry about thai women takes money from falang and doesn´t love him for who he is...

Just wondering......Something is badly wrong here....

Glegolo

generalization and exaggeraation

My wife is on auto pilot..she automatically prays at major sites, automatically loves the royal family etc.

Take any negative views of Thailand away and she will talk openly, but she will never disparage or talk badly about thai royalty, thai food, thai driving, thai life etc.

I'm not sure if she's the only one but certainly all Thais I know are the same with exception of nationally accepted differences like politics.

To be frank, I love her loyalty and her willingness to see the positive in most situations.

My wife is on auto pilot..she automatically prays at major sites, automatically loves the royal family etc.

Take any negative views of Thailand away and she will talk openly, but she will never disparage or talk badly about thai royalty, thai food, thai driving, thai life etc.

I'm not sure if she's the only one but certainly all Thais I know are the same with exception of nationally accepted differences like politics.

To be frank, I love her loyalty and her willingness to see the positive in most situations.

Yes same as my wife too of course... but mind you... it is only fear of confrontation, they are cowards..

Glegolo

Keep in mind that there are around 30,000,000 Thai women. The majority of them live a Thai life, which means they have Thai families and Thai husbands and deal with money just like any family or couple or single person does anywhere in the world.

When a farang enters the picture and pays a gal who had pretty much no work (value) in her little Isaan town - 2000 baht for an hour, all her old thoughts about making money through struggle go out the window. Can we generalize about bar girls? Yes, because they are a category of Thai workers who use their skills to make money. And we could generalize that they will look for a man, maybe a farang, who will continue to provide her with the standard of living she is now come to enjoy, when she it tired of or too old to sell her body.

I suppose you could say that generally all Thai working woman want to find a way to make more money, to improve their standard of living. Biggest generalization - everyone, man or woman, does whatever they do to make money and survive.