100 amp main breaker needed for 30/100 service?

Is 100 amp circuit breaker needed for 30/100 service? I just completed a new house, temporary meter is 15/45, power is week in my area cannot run 2 A/C and electric cooker at same time. my circuit breaker box contains a 63a main breaker. Single phase. Electric company says I need to install a 100 amp breaker before they will hook up 30/100 service.

Will 30/100 meter do anything to help electric power in a situation where electric power is week due to distance from transformer??

Or I am better just sticking with 15/45 permanent service??

Many thanks.

Walter

Yup, first thing to do is determine exactly why you are having issues.

How far are you from the transformer, size of your incoming wires (may need replacing along with the breaker if you do upgrade)?

We have a 15/45 on a 50A main breaker and it happily runs three A/C units and a 7kW water heater, lights dip a bit on full load but everything functions just fine.

Do you have a multimeter to check your incoming supply voltage at various loads?

Theoretically, a 15/45 meter can support 220 x 45 = 9,900 watts - which should be plenty to run a couple of 12K BTU aircons and a 1.5kW electric hotplate..

It sounds like your issue could be voltage drop - to which there is a cure: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671566-voltage-drop-solved/

However, do note my post near the end though - in my case I need a 30/100 supply just to support a load of ~13,500 watts.

Indeed Satcommlee / IMHO, we need to know exactly WHAT happens when the A/C and stove is running, just lights dimming, or does stuff trip, or what?

A 15/45 on a 63A breaker will support brief (minutes) overloads of 80A with no danger or damage.

Many thanks for the good inputs, although there seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether upgrading to 30/100 service will help. My lines from the meter to house are copper correctly sized. When I replaced the construction aluminum line (25 guage I think) with correct copper, power went up about 50% or more.

When 2 A/C and 3000 watt cooker are on, lights dim sometimes, power seems to go down, sometimes some house lights go out but A/C keeps on, but one can tell A/C does not have enough power as fan seems to surge somewhat. Some days no problems noted.

I am 1 KM approximately from transformer, and doubt any one closer to me will be installed soon. PEA would like me to pay for one, but uhhhh, NO.

No circuit breakers have ever tripped, and my main is 63A.

If the meter is just a measuring device that does not impede the flow of power, then possibly the upgrade will not help???

Thanks again for valuable opinions.

Walter

I just reviewed all the messages I could find about voltage stabilizer....wondering if this is my problem...anyway, sounds like something worth trying, as PEA is not going to be doing anything for a long time as I am in the upcountry...Loei, where aluminum wire (undersized) is king.

A larger meter will not solve the problem if it's voltage drop... but may be required in order for a voltage stabilizer to work properly, if the voltage drop is severe.

The descriptions you're giving are consistent with voltage drop being the issue - and that's easy enough to confirm with a simple multimeter.

Actually being 1000 meters from the nearest transformer is the norm if you live in the sticks. PEA actually moved the transformer further from my house since it also supplies the next village down the line and they were experiencing real problems. My voltage sometimes varies from 150 - 200vac on a cyclic bases during the day, meter plugged into a socket on my desk, most likely due to the gravel pit down the road. I've tried to get PEA to change the transformer hookup to another phase but just get a blank stare! I could change my meter to a 3000/100000 but it wouldn't do any good. Good luck!

He really needs to do a load calculation to determine if a bigger service is actually needed.

BUT

In this case the infrastructure cannot support his 15/45, a bigger meter and breaker will not help, fatter wires to the transformer and possibly a bigger transformer are what's really required. PEA don't have the budget.

• Like 1

You could ask the PEA to install a single phase 11kv transformer outside your house.

Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I suspect a voltage stabilizer would be a whole lot cheaper, and still more reliable ;)

^ This has now become very relevant to my needs!

Having just installed a UPS system (for a single circuit), which monitors the supply voltage, and adjusts accordingling, I was indeed shocked that my supply dropped to below 200V for some long periods yesterday, and indeed the supply indeed went off 3 times yesterday for very brief periods. My UPS handled this without any problems.

Living in East Pattaya (which is very well developed now) I did not suspect the supply voltage would drop so much.