A tarnished beauty queen: Thai editorial

webfact

I'm sure the author is 100% saint, 0 % sinner. This is the least of Thailand's concerns for crying out loud- besides, they have few who can compete with the likes of Lohan, Hiton or Spears.

Some decades ago, living in Hong Kong, I watched part of a Miss HK Pageant on television and one of the questions contestants were asked was which historical character she would like to have met and why.

One lady answered " Adolf Hitler becaise my love would have made him a good person. "

She didn't win but the press next day loved it.

No doubt with the promise of a bit of hanky panky with a Miss HK babe he'd have been off down the Albert Hall to retrieve what was rightfully his. biggrin.png

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

for the good of the country, she should resign and let someone more fitting represent Thailand. In America, the owner of the Los Angeles clippers is being investigated for making racist remarks. Those accusation have been proven and now he has been fined and is barred from the NBA. For national healing to occur, this Thai beauty queen must accept responsibility for her actions and resign. Only then can the country move forward. How can anyone feel proud of her knowing what she feels in her heart?

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-nba-investigation-racist-comments-clippers/

So a beauty queen with an opinion needs to take responsibility and resign but a completely incompetent PM and her criminal cabinet who have been raping the country for the last 2 years don't need to take responsibility of their complete and utter mismanagement?

Edited by RockyBeerbelly
  • Like 2

Miss Universe is a business owned in America. They have strict rules about conduct, height (she's too short) personal history and etc. She is breaking these rules, plain and simple.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My, My, their rules include non freedom of speech too ? As they do here and for the Government of Thailand .

Ah, the khaosod article, I recall (I could be wrong but), talked about her saying the reds should be executed. Was this a publishing error on their part then? Oh boy, they must be feeling embarrassed.

Before you accuse Khaosod of publishing error, why don't you do a little search? I found the screen capture of her facebook post in Thai and she did say the red activists should all be executed as Khaosod reported. CNN also reported on this. It's not that hard to find.

Did it occur to you that the author of this article might have paraphrased it as "exit from the country" instead to suit his/her own agenda?

Anyway back to the topic. I don't think "the beauty queen" receives any more public scrutiny than the politicians the author named. Perhaps the author doesn't understand that calling for the execution of political activists is a pretty big deal, especially when done by someone who will represent Thailand in the world stage? Don't get me wrong. She deserves forgiveness and since she has apologized, we should move on. However, people who criticize her do have a point.

Wow! You really don't like anyone questioning khaosod do you? Or is it just questions in general?

However if she did say it I wonder if it's absence from the story could be part of the new censorship rules on the media.

No. I don't really care about Khaosod. I don't even read it outside of TV. I was just frustrated that you could have done a little search to verify that information.

I doubt the absence was a part of a censorship rule. I mean, the author didn't have to quote her. The author could have paraphrased what she said in a much more accurate way.

Fair enough, I can understand frustration, but your response [for me] was a bit over the top.

"I love the King".....please show me a Thai who doesn't.

"Reds are dirty people"....that's because most of the actually WORK, and don't have life handed to them.

"they should all be executed/leave the country"....Now there's a shining example of Thai love Thai if I ever saw one. lol

My 3 question to her:

1 - Have you ever been to any place in Thailand outside of Bangkok and the resort islands? In other words, to the north and northeast?

2 - Have you ever actually met a red shirt, or is your opinion based on generalizations instead of actual facts?

3 - Have you ever seen the inside of a gym where people actually try to improve their physical looks?

When someone aspires to a position such as Miss Universe Thailand, they HAVE to stop and think about the fact that they will be representing ALL of Thailand and her people, and not simply the elite segment of it. As a result, they have to adjust their thinking, and speaking to achieve that. She blew it out her a$$ with her comments. Maybe she did write them a couple of months back, but anyone with even a modicum of common sense would have realized those "private comments" could be used against her, and would have at least deleted them from her FB page. But the key words here are "common sense". Not something usually found in Thailand.

I've looked online for all the photos of here I could find, trying to figure out why the judges picked her, and to be honest, I think they were bribed or bought. Thick thighs and a "sticky rice" loaded midsection. I could go to Chiang Mai University, sit at a coffee shop, and in a hour, find 20 other students who would put her to shame. Just my opinion. As for he apology, if you actually read it, she only apologized for her comments coming to light. She didn't apologize to the "dirty red shirts" themselves, only that her comments had been made public to embarrass her.

Personally, I don't care if she apologizes or not, as she'll never make it past the first round of the Miss Universe Pageant.

Just my opinion.

All beauty? Based on the pictures I saw of her and other contestants is seemed like they all need to get a bit of exercise.

New rule. Gotta post pictures of your own gut whenever you pass judgment on others'.

Initial reaction is that is a great idea...but after a few moments of consideration, do we really want to see farang "guts" up close and personal? No thanks.

All beauty? Based on the pictures I saw of her and other contestants is seemed like they all need to get a bit of exercise.

New rule. Gotta post pictures of your own gut whenever you pass judgment on others'.

As if that's what the OP was about...

I'm not entering a beauty contest am i?

to be honest most men I know like a bit of flesh on the bones. Theirs and hers

What's wrong with that?

ON Topic. . . . It is really refreshing to see someone from this industry make a non-house and garden comment about anything.

This sort of girl would be a cult hero in the West.

In a Kingdom. You can't go wrong supporting the King.

Just as well she's on that side of politics is all ......wai2.gif

It's plain hypocrisy. It's easier to go after a defenseless girl for what she said rather then the idiot politicians who spew worse crap daily. These people are just plain bullies. bah.gif

I think this could be the view of the majority of the young clever people (students) of Thailand.. and it is their future...

Because it illustrates the level of hatred being spewed out by the general population.

If a soccer player said it, it would cause the same shock factor. Beyond that she claims to be educated. But we all know that to be relative in Thailand and she just proves that point perfectly.

A very nuanced comment.

Miss Universe is a business owned in America. They have strict rules about conduct, height (she's too short) personal history and etc. She is breaking these rules, plain and simple.

I think the point of the OP went right over your head.

You may find there are exceptions to the rules for countries that do not have many tall women. How tall is she BTW? And what are the height rules?

What conduct has breached the rules "plainly and simply"?

What in her history "plainly and simply" breaks the rules?

If you took time to absorb the content of the OP you would know that this is not about a girl's eligibility for a beauty contest.

I wish she had stuck to her guns and not apologised. Perhaps a diplomatic apology for impolite words, but with no hint of regret at the message within. And even that was unnecessary as her words were said in private and not intended to be "eavesdropped" on. Her one mistake was not checking her content before opening her page to the public.

She is in a position to spin it around and ask why she is condemned for loving the King.

As a loyal subject who loves the King, it is her duty to criticise his detractors, and natural for her to despise them.

She should remain staunch in her stance.

By saying this you are assuming that all red shirts don't love the King. This assumption is very very incorrect and is part of the yellow shirt propaganda. Most red shirts I know love the King. The yellow camp don't have the right to claim that if you don't support them you don't love the King. The King are there to be loved by yellow, red, green, pink or whatever colour and by Thai's and foreigners alike. Her rant on FB just showed how empty and brainwashed the poor child life is. If she made some effort to get to know people outside her elitist enviroment she would have known that red shirts are just normal people with different political views and of whom many love the King.

• Like 1

This naughty girl should lose her title. She appears to be even dumber than some of our Miss Americas. My says she is a "Ling Sen."

I'm not so sure about that, is it even possible to beat this effort?

Edited by neverdie

Aren't they suppose to say 'world peace' at the end of their speech? I have never related world peace with the need to execute your opposition.

At least with Pattayaone we get to see pictures.

Again an article that has been approved to be published.

Nothing is private on the internet! So if we post remarks on TV that the military see as disparaging, can we do time?w00t.gif

I can't understand how human rights have been affected by the young girls comment, but then you could only read this type of comment in the Nation. And the Nation said nothing about the girl expressing devotion to World Peace; a standard affirmation at any beauty contest.thumbsup.gif

It's plain hypocrisy. It's easier to go after a defenseless girl for what she said rather then the idiot politicians who spew worse crap daily. These people are just plain bullies. bah.gif

Yo dude she is in the lime light and is a representative of the Thai people. She is SUPPOSED to have manners and show good will not use dicracfull language like she did. No matter what her real feelings are she is not allowed to show them to the public or on an open website.

ON Topic. . . . It is really refreshing to see someone from this industry make a non-house and garden comment about anything.

Her position due to winning the contest has put her as a media item, and has a responsibility.

The comment to execute actually incites violence and or hatred.

How different is her comment to that of the Basketball owner in USA; banned for life for his comments to his girlfriend. I bet you he would like to get off with 'it was not for the public to hear'.

How would you like it if she said we should execute all people with the handle Maggusoil?

Another case of Thai people and the "tall poppy" outlook on things.......it happens everywhere...not just here.

Maybe some of this hate mail is directed at the judging criteria......was she favoured...or connected....she was a movie actress in the past....jealousy is rampant here.....!

She was connected. Turns out her father was one of the sponsors of the pageant, and all the Thais think that is why she won. On Facebook, as a joke some Thai person posted a photo of a ladyboy side by side with the new Miss Thailand that looked much more beautiful than her..... Also when she was announced as the winner, the audience booed as they knew the fix was in. The contest winner is supposedly picked on her beauty, not her point of view on red shirts, or her knowledge of quantum physics . So am not really sure why that even came up. Certainly looks a bit unseemly, but the fact the contest was fixed is way more unseemly to me. Well, Thailand will certainly not be winning Miss

World this year..... :-)

• Like 1

Her position due to winning the contest has put her as a media item, and has a responsibility.

The comment to execute actually incites violence and or hatred.

How different is her comment to that of the Basketball owner in USA; banned for life for his comments to his girlfriend. I bet you he would like to get off with 'it was not for the public to hear'.

How would you like it if she said we should execute all people with the handle Maggusoil?

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't give a flying f. . .k.

She can say what she likes in my world.

Its just as well you're not making the laws.

That's what FREEDOM OF SPEECH actually gets you.

Especially before you are a celeb and in private conversations on Facebook, which however, should not matter.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH means what it stands for. Nice speech, not nice speech, good speech, bad speech, friendly speech and even hate speech.

One of the 4 cornerstones of a real democracy particularly important for Thailand at this stage of history and development.

We have to be mature enough and educated enough, to recognise what we don't like and ignore it.

People talk like this amongst themselves all the time. In her case it is so irrelevant, it shouldn't matter.

Its a beat up. The art of the beat up is alive and well these days.

Taking it seriously is the only mistake.

This new hobby of denying people the right to hate speech is the tip of the iceberg in the "control freaks", big brother armoury.

It just gets worse from there.

Another case of Thai people and the "tall poppy" outlook on things.......it happens everywhere...not just here.

Maybe some of this hate mail is directed at the judging criteria......was she favoured...or connected....she was a movie actress in the past....jealousy is rampant here.....!

She was connected. Turns out her father was one of the sponsors of the pageant, and all the Thais think that is why she won. On Facebook, as a joke some Thai person posted a photo of a ladyboy side by side with the new Miss Thailand that looked much more beautiful than her..... Also when she was announced as the winner, the audience booed as they knew the fix was in. The contest winner is supposedly picked on her beauty, not her point of view on red shirts, or her knowledge of quantum physics . So am not really sure why that even came up. Certainly looks a bit unseemly, but the fact the contest was fixed is way more unseemly to me. Well, Thailand will certainly not be winning Miss

World this year..... :-)

I don't know if it's true that her father was one of the sponsors or not, but if so, that fact alone would have disqualified her in just about every other country you can think of. But that would explain the surprise of the audience when she was announced as the winner, and also the fact of the judges ignoring her all too obviously "average at best" body and figure, not to mention her height. Hell, I doubt she'll even come up to the shoulders of the contestants from other countries. Nothing against short people - I love short women - but in a pageant such as Miss Universe, they are looking for Beauty and Stature. They want a woman who stands out, not one who get's lost in a crowd of teenagers.

Right...so if Miss USA said "I love freedom and the constitution, and I think Democrats/Republicans are dirty and should be executed", you're okay with that? You think this is a person who should represent your country?

Beauty pageants are idiotic, as are many of their participants, but that is beside the point. Fact is that this person said something terrible about at least half of the population she purports to represent at this competition. That alone should get her disqualified as unsuitable to represent the entire country she is from.

• Like 2

I am a bit confused about this. We are talking about a beauty contest so next time let a beauty win it. No offense but she ain't beautiful and i am sure she knows it.

Regarding the cute puppets on the political scene, time to move on. Girl just told the truth.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't give a flying f. . .k.

She can say what she likes in my world.

Its just as well you're not making the laws.

That's what FREEDOM OF SPEECH actually gets you.

Especially before you are a celeb and in private conversations on Facebook, which however, should not matter.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH means what it stands for. Nice speech, not nice speech, good speech, bad speech, friendly speech and even hate speech.

One of the 4 cornerstones of a real democracy particularly important for Thailand at this stage of history and development.

We have to be mature enough and educated enough, to recognise what we don't like and ignore it.

People talk like this amongst themselves all the time. In her case it is so irrelevant, it shouldn't matter.

Its a beat up. The art of the beat up is alive and well these days.

Taking it seriously is the only mistake.

This new hobby of denying people the right to hate speech is the tip of the iceberg in the "control freaks", big brother armoury.

It just gets worse from there.

Absolutely she has the right to say what she wants. And we have the right to judge her based on what she says. She voluntarily entered a competition that scrutinizes people based on their appearance and what they say, thereby voluntarily forfeiting whatever privacy she may have had in regard to what she's said over the internet. So what's the problem?

Nobody is saying she should be deprived of her right to say what she wants. We're saying she should be deprived of her "crown" in the silly competition because of what she said. Given what that competition is about, surely what she says and thinks is a factor in her selection and in her maintaining her "title".

Or are you saying that her right to free speech precludes our right to saying what we think about her speech or commenting on the public contest that she won? At the end of the day, you seem to want free speech with no consequences. Freedom does not imply having no responsibility for your actions and words.

By saying that I am not assuming all red shirts don't love the King. Forget about yellow propaganda.

Read my words again and try to not put your bias into it.

She quite rightly expressed her concern about the red shirt violence. Her stance had nothing to do with her future pageant entry.

But consequently, she has been abused for her political stance.

As an aside, it does seem that the redshirt leaders do not respect the King but through tricky words they persuade loyal subjects to the red shirt cause.

She expressed her concern about red shirt violence by proposing their summary execution. You don't see anything wrong with that?