CTH. What's it like .. comments please!

casualbiker

I'm thinking of getting CTH (currently have a true dish) I thought that I could just get the box and use the existing true dish BUT it seems I can't!

I'm just looking at the medium package (650b)

Any comments on service. Quality or content would be nice.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

All BPL games covered. In addition you get a number of movie channel that are good and quite a number of news channels including Sky News. I signed up on a 2 year package whereby I paid fo 18 moinths and get 6 months free. I used to have True and changed mainly because of the football.

A bit like true it would help if the signal was a bit stronger. Generally picture good if not better than true was for me. Problems for me, 1 background hiss, not volume related anyone else get this?

2 programme listing is either not there at all, not there In part and if there usually wrong.

it took weeks to get the sound balance on motogp ok, guess we find out about f1 this weekend.

If football isn't your prime mover and you've had True before then you'll be disappointed. CTH is like a poor second cousin - that has all the tickets to the games.....unfortunately....

Well I am using Uk TV and will keep that. The cth is to get the Thai channels and a couple more movie channels. I also like scyfy and a few others..

Posts giving information on service much appreciated.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Fantastic I have had it from day 1 better than when I had ubc by a mile my only issue is they do not display a TV guide so you do not know what is on next if watching the EPL I watch channel 61 as it is 100% English if you want English on the other channels make sure you press the green button the the remote so you can change the language ,

If you like English football it's a must. If you don't , forget CTH cos it's crap.

Crap is a bit strong there are some good programmes on CTH F1 for starters golf , cooking, Sony tv star world sky news the only thing that annoys me is they do not show a TV guide you have to go to there website for that which is a pain

My condo recently switched from Sophon to CTH and I'm not satisfied at all.

If you watch lots of sports, then perhaps you may like it. The signal is certainly crisp and vivid. As another poster mentioned, there is no schedule available, even though it is advertised.

As for switching to English language from Thai , it works occasionally and not at all on Thai language broadcasts even though the option appears on the screen.

I end up watching BBC, Arirang (Korean), DW (German), NHK (Japan) and Telemonde 5 (French) which broadcast news and programs in English. The Thai stations have yet to run the English ticker at the bottom of the screen during Thai news casts to let non-Thai speakers know what's going on. This is not the fault of CTH, but a reflection of the programming they offer.

Other English broads consists of non-stop CSI and Law and Order. Very monotonous and devoid of any educational substance.

The remaining channels are Thai broadcasts consisting of religious, Chinese language, sales, soap operas and kids shows, etc.

Missing are Discovery, Syfy, History Channel, Biography, Travel, etc.

I'm moving soon and will be checking the cable TV in any potential places that I will live in. CTH is out on this count.

Good luck my friend and shop wisely.

I had it on cable (Kata, Phuket) and it was absolute rubbish!! I their "tech" come out 6 times and in the end he took his bat and ball and went home, couldn't fix it so sneaking out of the house and doing a runner was the easiest way to save face....

I was worried I would end up with epilepsy the way the picture kept jumping. I let it run out as I knew I wasn't going to get my money back...

If you just need some Thai channels and a few English (but often repeated) channels then IPM, free Thai to air satellite isn't too bad, you just pay for the box, dish and installation which was cheap enough. If you want decent TV then look at some of the Internet TV services. As long as you have a 5Mbps download connection it is great even has movies on demand, a lot of sports, Discovery, History, NEWS channels about 1000 I think, most in English. I am happy with it.

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a cheap cable decoder I have 3 up for grabs..... whistling.gif

Edited by RigPig

A bit like true it would help if the signal was a bit stronger. Generally picture good if not better than true was for me. Problems for me, 1 background hiss, not volume related anyone else get this?

2 programme listing is either not there at all, not there In part and if there usually wrong.

it took weeks to get the sound balance on motogp ok, guess we find out about f1 this weekend.

Programme list on website mate

• Like 1

Programme list on website mate

But not everyone want to go to a website to see what's on TV.

They have been going now for quite some time and if they can't get a schedule of complete programs up on the TV by now, then they are a poor lot and one wonders just how long it WILL take them to get their act together?

If football isn't your prime mover and you've had True before then you'll be disappointed. CTH is like a poor second cousin - that has all the tickets to the games.....unfortunately....

This is correct. I have them all because i like all football especially EPL. If you dont, then True is best.

Edited by MartinBKK

Fantastic I have had it from day 1 better than when I had ubc by a mile my only issue is they do not display a TV guide so you do not know what is on next if watching the EPL I watch channel 61 as it is 100% English if you want English on the other channels make sure you press the green button the the remote so you can change the language ,

You must have a different package to me, cos I have channels 56-60 all showing EPL (with Thai commentary only), and 61 is blocked to me. I am on the 600 pm package.

Where is this green button that gives you translations??? (My green button has Tele Text above it).

Mind you, I don't really miss the English commentary cos you can make out players' names from the Thai commentary and not be irritated by what the nitwit English commentators and their truly moronic side-kicks are saying.

for a westerner, i recommend getting a Maige iptv box from aliexpress.com , some good sellers there.

after the first year it's only 90$ per year and Tons of English channels, and works good for me on a 10mb true adsl line.. (don't use that guy who sells them online in thailand, i been burned by him once..)

Forget CTH, it is crap. A much better choise is IPTV from Cable Streamer that offers many very good English speaking channels including 3 Astro Sport HD for World Cup and BPL. For British there are Sky News, BBC World and a couple more BBC channels. For Americans there are NBC, CBS, ABC and, God forbid, Fox. Australia Channel is also included. I just bought it and it is superb. Ordered on a Friday and by Tuesday morning it was up and runnig.

http://www.cablestreamer.com/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you like English football it's a must. If you don't , forget CTH cos it's crap.

i totally agree &lt;deleted&gt; useless back up if you have a problem then will always have it, so called engineers have no idea what they are doing

just check the same thing over and over again

and the officw staff i have no idea why there there useless again

Forget CTH, it is crap. A much better choise is IPTV from Cable Streamer that offers many very good English speaking channels including 3 Astro Sport HD for World Cup and BPL. For British there are Sky News, BBC World and a couple more BBC channels. For Americans there are NBC, CBS, ABC and, God forbid, Fox. Australia Channel is also included. I just bought it and it is superb. Ordered on a Friday and by Tuesday morning it was up and runnig.

http://www.cablestreamer.com/

Thanks for this suggestion. How much does it cost? Is there an upfront charge for the box and then a monthly charge?

Are there technicians in Chiang Mai who install it or what?

Thanks.

my only issue is they do not display a TV guide

Not a 100% true. unplug the box for 5 mins, then you have the TV Guide on all the channels for a hour of 3 when you plug it back in..

• 4 months later...