Thai army chief announces military coup

webfact

CNN mentioned shots being fired into the air only to disperse crowds: "Gunshots were heard Thursday at the site in Bangkok where the Red Shirts have been protesting. A former national security chief described these as warning shots to get the crowd to leave." http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/22/world/asia/thailand-martial-law/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I actually saw that on TV when it was happening.

4 or 5 soldiers walking down the street firing into the air.

I was hoping they were firing blanks & not live rounds.

bullets fired into the sky come back down with devastating effects

especially in a crowded city

"bullets fired into the sky come back down with devastating effects" Wrong! Look up 'Terminal velocity' and then the weight of whatever bullets the M16 fires. It wouldn't kill you even not wearing a helmet.

J.

In countries where it's common to fire into the air there are often death caused by falling bullets. There were deaths from falling bullets in Kuwait after the gulf war. I don't know if being blanks makes a difference though. I haven't the time to work out the terminal velocity of an M16 bullet but if you have then maybe you can post it. Shots fired vertically are less dangerous than those fired at an angle as they don't lose as much speed.

Here's one example. there are many others.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/falling-bullet-kills-4-year-old-boy-in-dekalb/nFDwr/

And this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14616491

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ EU should be more worried about their democracies voting in extreme right wing fascists or loosing the small local areas to salafi Muslims extremists unilaterally declaring marshal law. Democracies great ,,,, until it sucks ....

Hitler was democratically elected remember.

No, they don't. I guarantee you that banks are not sending highly confidential financial data over the public internet.

Its called encryption and is used all over the world. How do you think people with a normal line, wifi or their phone connect to their bank through internet banking?

Check out your local atm machine tomorrow. You will most likely find a very standard linksys wifi modem on top. And no, it is not connected to top secret private invisible lines in the air :-D

Ups, I just logged into my local internet bank and transferred a highly confidential but very tiny amount from one account to another. How is that even possible? As far as I know I do not have any "fixed leased line" connected to my mobile phone. Do I??

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

TBPS News programme director taken away by military after airing news on Youtube

Thu, 22/05/2014 - 22:57 | by prachatai

The military took away TPBS Deputy Director on news program Wanchai Tantiwitthayapithak, after he insisted to air the news on Youtube despite the coup makers’ order to cease all broadcast.

Source inside the TPBS station said that Wanchai was taken to the first Army Area around 9.30pm to “tune in understanding” between the media and army.
The online broadcast was ended shortly before he was taken away by the army.
Earlier, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) reportedly requested cooperation with the TPBS not to broadcast any program on Television. The order was implemented by the TPBS board member, but the news division insisted on airing the program online.
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

OK, this is for moderator and/or geeky Thai Visa staff to see. We are all excited by this major event. However, I'm less than happy that my e-mail, when I'm in the middle of important business, has keeled over under the weight of incoming From Thai Visa.

As best I can see, you can only unsubscribe from Thai Visa, not an individual thread. Am I wrong? If I'm right, hope some techy person picks up my comment and devises a way to unsubscribe individual threads.

Excuse that this is off-topic, but it's a real problem, that many must be experiencing. Also, if someone picks this up, sees it as misplaced and moves it to a more appropriate forum, it means they will have had to read it!

As to the coup, all I can say is that he gave them their chance. They decided to do it their way!

Edited by Runamile

Ups, I just logged into my local internet bank and transferred a highly confidential but very tiny amount from one account to another. How is that even possible? As far as I know I do not have any "fixed leased line" connected to my mobile phone. Do I??

I didn't say it's not possible, I said that banks don't do it that way. You can do any foolish thing you like with your money. That doesn't mean banks are doing it the same way. As this is off topic, take it over to the tech forum if you want to get into the nuts & bolts of business class leased lines and packet data switching.

^ EU should be more worried about their democracies voting in extreme right wing fascists or loosing the small local areas to salafi Muslims extremists unilaterally declaring marshal law. Democracies great ,,,, until it sucks ....

No, Hitler's party did not achieve a majority. There was a lot of dirty dealing before he was able to get the 'Enabling Act' passed.

Here is nice simple account,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/tch_wjec/germany19291947/1hitlerchancellor1.shtml

He was still elected to parliament. Thaksin isn't even an MP but is pulling strings from abroad. My other examples of democratic failures or horrors stand. The point is that some times in the real world idealist concepts of what is black and white are not black and white at all and need solutions through the shades of grey- lesser of two evils and that.

No, Hitler's party did not achieve a majority. There was a lot of dirty dealing before he was able to get the 'Enabling Act' passed.

Here is nice simple account,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/tch_wjec/germany19291947/1hitlerchancellor1.shtml

• Like 1

I didn't say it's not possible, I said that banks don't do it that way. You can do any foolish thing you like with your money. That doesn't mean banks are doing it the same way. As this is off topic, take it over to the tech forum if you want to get into the nuts & bolts of business class leased lines and packet data switching.
A "business class leased line" or any other line, simply refers to you not having to share your connection capacity with anyone else, which ensures a certain speed. You are still connecting to the internet, and everything you do on that line runs through the internet.

I see though that the fancy wording works on some people, if you and others actually believe a fancy line means you are on some form of private version of the internet :-D

You do know that when you travel business class on a plane, you are still on the same plane as those who travel monkeyclass right? :-)

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

As best I can see, you can only unsubscribe from Thai Visa, not an individual thread. Am I wrong? If I'm right, hope some techy person picks up my comment and devises a way to unsubscribe individual threads.

If you have selected to follow a topic you can manage which ones you wish to continue to follow or to remove by clicking on your profile in top right corner and click on Content I Follow. Right side of each subscribed topic will be a manage button.

post-566-0-60208600-1400780060_thumb.jpg

If that isn't what you were asking for, please post the question in Forum Support.

A "business class leased line" or any other line, simply refers to you not having to share your connection capacity with anyone else, which ensures a certain speed. You are still connecting to the internet, and everything you do on that line runs through the internet.

I see though that the fancy wording works on some people, if you and others actually believe a fancy line means you are on some form of private version of the internet :-D

It is possible (in the US, UK, Germany, at least) to get a direct connection from one location to another, but it is very expensive.

It is possible (in the US, UK, Germany, at least) to get a direct connection from one location to another, but it is very expensive.
Of course you can put a cable anywhere you want and whoever are at the 2 ends of that cable can connect privately using whatever protocol they want, but they cannot connect with anyone but eachother, unless they use the internet. And if they do connect their private network to outsiders using the internet, then their private network can be compromised which defeats the purpose of having it in the first place. Edited by monkeycountry

".....before democracy returns to this country," how can you return to something you haven't experienced. Would expect at least 2-3 democratically elected changes of power to consider it a true democracy. The opposition needs to change the mindset with more inclusive policy not engineered overthrow.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Statement from UK Foreign Secretary, William Hague

William Hague said he was "extremely concerned" by the situation in Thailand. Credit: PA

"I am extremely concerned by today's coup. The UK urges the restoration of a civilian government that has been democratically elected, serves the interests of its people and fulfils its human rights obligations," Hague said.

"We look therefore to the authorities to set out a quick clear timetable for elections to help re-establish the democratic framework of governance.

"There should never be recourse to violence: only by openly discussing the full range of issues can Thailand move forward and reach a more stable position."

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-05-22/hague-calls-for-quick-thailand-solution/

BBC News 24 is reporting that US State Department has condemned the coup but no quotes on website yet.

Edited by citizen33

It's sad.

But the idea of Suthep being held in detention makes it all worth while.

smile.png

And no, I'm not a Shin fan.

its probably a detetion in relative luxury ,i doubt hes naked on a overcrowded concrete floor with cockroaches and rats for company and being woken up every 60 min for a role call like normal jails do every night

hopefully hes being waterboarded to give up the identities of the violent PDRC guards he employed to dish out beatingsto so many but that doesnt happen to thailands elite ..........

• Like 1

Press Statement
John Kerry
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
May 22, 2014

I am disappointed by the decision of the Thai military to suspend the constitution and take control of the government after a long period of political turmoil, and there is no justification for this military coup. I am concerned by reports that senior political leaders of Thailand’s major parties have been detained and call for their release. I am also concerned that media outlets have been shut down. I urge the restoration of civilian government immediately, a return to democracy, and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, such as press freedoms. The path forward for Thailand must include early elections that reflect the will of the people.

While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the U.S.–Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military. We are reviewing our military and other assistance and engagements, consistent with U.S. law.

http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2014/05/226446.htm

Edited by citizen33

Press Statement

John Kerry

Secretary of State

Washington, DC

May 22, 2014

I am disappointed by the decision of the Thai military to suspend the constitution and take control of the government after a long period of political turmoil, and there is no justification for this military coup. ....

... While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the U.S.–Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military. We are reviewing our military and other assistance and engagements, consistent with U.S. law.

Hypocrisy again.

A Civilian Government = A Civil War

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Press Statement
John Kerry

Secretary of State

Washington, DC
May 22, 2014

I am disappointed by the decision of the Thai military to suspend the constitution and take control of the government after a long period of political turmoil, and there is no justification for this military coup. I am concerned by reports that senior political leaders of Thailand’s major parties have been detained and call for their release. I am also concerned that media outlets have been shut down. I urge the restoration of civilian government immediately, a return to democracy, and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, such as press freedoms. The path forward for Thailand must include early elections that reflect the will of the people.

While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the U.S.–Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military. We are reviewing our military and other assistance and engagements, consistent with U.S. law.

It happened on Obama and his watch. He needs to look in the mirror to find who to blame.