Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

Please enlighten me but I have a friend here who was here during the last coup. He says

NO NATIONWIDE CURFEW

NEWS and media was still running

TV Stations were not closed.

Is his wrong?

Or is this to prepare for some more serious news? To aviod panic and mayhem or is it because the army had news of some bad things about to happen?

The general has been very patient and moderate and this seems totally out of place for what he has been trying to achieve for so many months showing leadership and guidance which has been ignored until now.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just lost Asia News Channel, Aust Network, Fox News and BBC is this just my local cable provider (go down a couple of times a week) or have others lost these stations?

Yes I have lost all my stations too.

Plus I am flying to CM and back tomorrow arriving in BKK well after 2200. I think I might just park my car at DM airport and drive back home hoping my ticket will convince anyone that stops me that I can travel.

Wish me luck.

• Like 1

I planed to go up-country early morning 3 a.m. does that mean I can't go?

anyone knows?

Yes, everyone knows, there is a nationwide curfew between 10pm and 5am for everyone (except for travelling to the airports apparently) and it applies to you also.

Edited by MMarlow

A quote from "game of thrones"

In time of war, majority ot the areas in any country seem peaceful...

Stop the drama on TV lol....

Bangkok is curfew to avoid any bombs or gunners... This aint bad news...

Might save some children....

Why is the curdfew NATIONWIDE as I have seen it first hand in Chiang Mai ... Not seen before.

Night time curfew means the destruction of the tourism industry and all the impoverished ladies working in Pattaya and Phuket will have to go back to the rice farms and earn 200 bhat a day. This is punishing the poor red shirts who no longer have their daughters and ladyboy sons send money back home to feed their families

these type of posts by newbies really get boring.

• Like 2

A quote from "game of thrones"

In time of war, majority ot the areas in any country seem peaceful...

Stop the drama on TV lol....

Bangkok is curfew to avoid any bombs or gunners... This aint bad news...

Might save some children....

Why is the curdfew NATIONWIDE as I have seen it first hand in Chiang Mai ... Not seen before.

On the streets outside my apartment it's like a normal day. All foodstalls and small restaurants are still open. And they have nany Thai people there. I can also see Petchaburi road from my balcony. And many restaurants with a lot of people sitting outside

Hmmm. Hopefully this only lasts the next day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you have money deposited at Thai banks you better take it out. This will not be a 2 day coup.

LOL

Thais love being out at night and who can blame them, the weather is much cooler. It will be interesting to see how strictly this will be enforced...

As an aside, I have not seen one soldier on patrol in Chiang Mai. Just my personal experience...

Yes: I saw two soldier stations (?) near the airport and one near Narrawat Bridge this morning.

Haven't seen a soldier In Pattaya

On the streets outside my apartment it's like a normal day. All foodstalls and small restaurants are still open. And they have nany Thai people there. I can also see Petchaburi road from my balcony. And many restaurants with a lot of people sitting outside

I'm probably not far from you and the busy soi that I can see from my place also is still fairly busy, taxis, lorries, motorbikes and vans going about like normal....

So what is it? A serious situation like some are saying or hollow unenforced words?

I'm not going to risk finding out by the way....

My Thai wife has just switched off the telly and with a totally deadpan face says she's off to bed and is expecting me to join her anytime now.

C'est la vie.

Life goes on and tomorrow is another day.

Goodnight folks.

Please enlighten me but I have a friend here who was here during the last coup. He says

NO NATIONWIDE CURFEW

NEWS and media was still running

TV Stations were not closed.

Is his wrong?

Or is this to prepare for some more serious news? To aviod panic and mayhem or is it because the army had news of some bad things about to happen?

The general has been very patient and moderate and this seems totally out of place for what he has been trying to achieve for so many months showing leadership and guidance which has been ignored until now.

this is not a coup, yet, martial law is for civil order, the government has not changed, stay calm

22:05 update from bangkok (ladprao)...

tesco express, big-c mini, 7-11 all closed here now

street vendors, restaurants and pubs all open as normal

plenty of people on the streets on foot or motorbikes but not many cars

no tanks

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

Thais love being out at night and who can blame them, the weather is much cooler. It will be interesting to see how strictly this will be enforced...

As an aside, I have not seen one soldier on patrol in Chiang Mai. Just my personal experience...

Yes: I saw two soldier stations (?) near the airport and one near Narrawat Bridge this morning.

Haven't seen a soldier In Pattaya

I had an unverified report earlier tonight around 7pm that a small army and police convoy was travelling along Soi Khao Talo stopping at all of the bars to ensure that owners and patrons were aware of the curfew. Not long after the bars in our small stretch were closed. At the 10:14pm there are still many vehicles heading away, but none heading towards, Sukhumvit.

Edited by avander

Just heard that schools have been closed until the 25th.

Yes .......that means I don't have to get up at 0500 to get the step daughter to the bustop at 0600.

But seriously why close the schools????

Just realised that only means tommorow.......oops too many vodca's

Man some of the posts from folks in this thread specifically are absolutely hilarious. Typical westerner reaction, they always lose their minds. They think the world is coming to an end, never go home, planes stop flying, food get consumed, they might starve, be stuck, killed, robbed, executed.MWAHAHA. Keep the craziness going, I am LMFAO.....This is good stuff.

YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.......

cheesy.gif it bring this old comedy to mind .... ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag

Let's remember some of the westerners here, left their minds at the airport when they arrived! facepalm.giftongue.pngwhistling.gif

^ Boy isn't that the truth. Hopped off the plane and their common sense and minds were erased. Most become Instant juvenile delinquents. Soon after they sober up some have a memory recovery, realized what they have done, then jump off a roof top in Pattaya. biggrin.png

Just heard that schools have been closed until the 25th.

Yes .......that means I don't have to get up at 0500 to get the step daughter to the bustop at 0600.

But seriously why close the schools????

It is a control issue, in my opinion. By closing the schools, the military government is showing they really have the power. In a similar vein, it is typical for Thai school administrators to not even tell the foreign teachers the calendar of Thai holidays. Again, it's a control (control-freak?) issue.

Many wait until the last moment to announce the October holiday beginning date or the late December holiday beginning date. Then they dock teachers who scheduled flights ahead of time in order to get a decent fair. The schools do that get to take back money and remind the farang 'we are in charge'. The military version seems just plain mendacious (and expected)