Thai army summons ex-PM Yingluck, others in Thaksin clan

webfact

Thai army summons ex-PM Yingluck, others in Thaksin clan

BANGKOK, May 23, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's new junta ordered former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and three other relatives of controversial billionaire-turned-politician Thaksin Shinawatra to report to military authorities on Friday.

The summons appeared to broaden the scope of those called in by leaders of a military coup staged Thursday, after an earlier request for ministers in Thailand's now-deposed government to report to the armed forces.

A bulletin read out on national television said Yingluck, Thaksin's younger sister who was dismissed as premier this month in a contentious court ruling, must present herself at 10:00 am (0300 GMT) Friday.

The junta also ordered the presence of her brother-in-law, former premier Somchai Wongsawat, and two other relatives, "in order to maintain peace and smoothly solve national problems."

It gave no hint of what might happen after their appearances.

They were among 23 members of the Puea Thai party -- in power until Thursday's coup -- summoned by the military.

The exiled Thaksin, a former prime minister himself, along with his family and allies have been at the centre of a bitter power struggle lasting nearly a decade, pitting forces sympathetic to him against a Bangkok-based royalist bloc.

Puea Thai or previous Thaksin-aligned parties have won every election since 2001, to the growing alarm of the military-allied royalists.

Despite going into exile two years after he was deposed in a 2006 army coup, Thaksin retains strong support in rural Thailand.

Army chief Prayut Chan-O-Cha seized power and announced curbs on civil liberties Thursday, saying he acted to quell months of deadly political turmoil stemming from Bangkok protests by the anti-Thaksin bloc.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-23

• Like 1

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could understand all this if the intention was to lock them all in a room until they had a solution that they were all agreed on.

But its a job to understand where all this is going

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I could understand all this if the intention was to lock them all in a room until they had a solution that they were all agreed on.

But its a job to understand where all this is going

It's called housekeeping. That requires taking out the garbage sometimes.

Will that loon from Monkut Wattana be in charge? He's been very quiet

Just tell the general you are in Chiangmai and it would be impossible to drive to BKK whilst there is a curfew b/w 10 and 5.

I think Yingluck prefers helicopters.

but not very practical to get to Dubai me thinks...where would she put all the shoes & hand bags ?

• Like 1

HOT TOPIC ALERT!

This one is going to ignite ThaiVisa today. Big question, will any of them respond....or are they even in the country right now?

Does Prayuth know what he 's doing, a bleak future for all of us.

Only if you're a Shin.

soon all farang will be Shins, those who lived long enough in the south know that

• Like 1

I support what the army is doing EXCEPT for the curfew. It is quite wrong to impose a nation-wide curfew when the troubles are only in a few locations. This will cause undue financial hardship on people that are hundreds of kilomtres away from the troubles.

Does the general think he may be better served if he keeps faith with the majority of Thais by not screwing their lives up any more than totally necessary?

Probably needs them all together so they can finally sort things out. Would be funny if they d sent out a task force and pick up the 'puppetmaster'.

I don't think that would help as there would be legal complications.

They could make sure an international arrest warrant was issued which would be less difficult legally.

If the General is going to get to the heart of the corruption that has effectively raped the countries coffers, and created the current mess, it would be prudent to have those who where in charge close at hand.

House arrest is the best option for those who have been summoned.

Nah, can't trust them.