Thai army says will block social media over critical content

webfact

Thai army says will block social media over critical content

BANGKOK, May 23, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's new ruling junta on Friday warned it would block any social media platforms in the country found to carry content that incites violence or is critical of its military leaders.

In one of a series of bulletins on national television laying out new restrictions after declaring a military coup, the junta urged "cooperation from social media operators and all involved to stop such messages that incite violence, break the law or criticise the coup council."

"If we find any to be in violation, we will suspend the service immediately and will summon those responsible for prosecution," it added.

Social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook are hugely popular in the country.

Coup leaders had earlier ordered all television and radio stations to suspend their usual programmes and show only the army's broadcasts in the wake of a coup.

The step was taken to ensure the release of "accurate news to the people," an army spokesman said in a televised announcement.

All television channels in the Southeast Asian kingdom including foreign broadcasters such as CNN, BBC, and CNBC ran a constant military feed featuring a succession of brief announcements related to the government takeover.

Between the bulletins, a static screen was shown depicting the emblems of the various branches of Thailand's armed forces, as patriotic Thai songs played.

Army chief General Prayut Chan-O-Cha made the coup announcement Thursday in a televised address to the nation, saying the powerful armed forces had to act to restore stability after nearly seven months of political turmoil in the capital Bangkok.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-23

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cut off the Internet. Because that's been demonstrated to work so well everywhere it's been tried.

I think mine has been cut overnight. Still got my 3G for now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh dear. Now what do you feel about the coup?

Anyone inciting violence should be dealt with harshly.

What if just to hand out criticism, should that be dealt with the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Anything about twitter or Facebook, LINE ??? Anyone know what will happen next???

If they shut down our most valuable communication system, that would go too far...

Edited by MaxLee

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do we know what is breaking the law when the constitution has been suspended? What is the law now?

Most laws have nothing to do with the constitution. Criminal and civil laws are under the justice system and the courts, which are still up and running, along with the police.

• Like 1

I think inciting violence should be stopped but they might be shooting themselves in the foot by banning criticism.

• Like 2

Nobody is cutting off the internet yet....only saying they will block certain sites if they are used to incite gatherings/violence/or false information.

So lets not get over negative on this forum. I do wish to hear from others in various parts of the country, here on Thai Visa.

Inflammatory remarks and false information will lead to censorship....and possibly make ThaiVisa a target.

It is times like this that this site can be most helpful to us, so don't screw it up !

It's the bit about criticism that people are complaining about. I think the trouble is the army doesn't really understand the bad PR aspect of this. Banning incitement of violence is fine and is often censored anyway, at least on Thaivisa and I doubt many would disagree with that.

• Like 1

Perhaps the leaders of various groups have just learned that now is a time for working together to end the current situation.

One won't get far negotiating with someone if they criticize them as well.

• Like 1

I think inciting violence should be stopped but they might be shooting themselves in the foot by banning criticism.

Thus far, Prayuth's (and the military's) actions seem measured. There'll be lots of time for criticizing after the smoke clears.

• Like 1

"stop such messages that incite violence, break the law or criticise the coup council"

The first 2 I agree with, but why are people always afraid of the last one?

Jeez, they've detained Abhisit too - I can't comment on why? He's the least corrupt of anyone in that room.

Abhisit has dual nationality, perhaps HM's ambassador can intervene?

• Like 1

Heaven forbid the military be criticized for anything they do.

Not sure if they are just huge bullies, or incredibly fragile men with big guns and small penises. Either way, criticism is healthy for everyone. HMTK even said that he himself is not above criticism. The military should perhaps follow his lead. It may keep them humble.

• Like 2

No constitution means no law , as of now the military will deem what is the law I expect worse is to come what I do not understand is how after two short meetings with the parties the general decides that's it we will have a coup and take control in the meantime all you guys around the table are going to prison ! I hope they do not cut the internet what a terrible thing to happen to the people of Thailand they voted in there masses for a Government only to see the opposition cause civil unrest because they want power and five years down the road it will be the same again.

I would guess this is mainly directed at Thai users of LINE and Facebook. Twitter I think would be less of a target except that it is used by international press heavily, so may be targeted too. Forums like this one? No problem. The owner is smart enough to fly under the radar and the Mods must be working overtime now here I imagine. wink.png

Perhaps the leaders of various groups have just learned that now is a time for working together to end the current situation.

One won't get far negotiating with someone if they criticize them as well.

What a sad perspective on democracy. Do you know how many people that have managed to settle their disputes at gun point?

This will not improve things, quite the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand