Thai army says will block social media over critical content

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no problem with them blocking facebook and Instagram. The world can survive without seeing what everybody had for breakfast/coffee break/brunch/lunch/dinner/supper etc for a few days and it would free up at least one eye of the drivers and motorbike riders on the road.

A good start would be to permanently ban Facebook, CIA wouldn't like it though.

• Like 2

How do we know what is breaking the law when the constitution has been suspended? What is the law now?

Constitution has been tossed out several times since I first visited the country in 2004. Now the coup arresting leaders, critics, banning comments, discussions etc. Forced elections, overturned elections, constitution votes but of incomplete constitutions. It is hard to imagine a somewhat modern country going through all this. If you keep tossing out the constitution then the document or concept is meaningless. How can any foreign business deal with this? Tourism? Obviously many won't go and that can't be good for business. Mom and Pop businesses may be hurt greatly.

How do we know what is breaking the law when the constitution has been suspended? What is the law now?

Constitution has been tossed out several times since I first visited the country in 2004. Now the coup arresting leaders, critics, banning comments, discussions etc. Forced elections, overturned elections, constitution votes but of incomplete constitutions. It is hard to imagine a somewhat modern country going through all this. If you keep tossing out the constitution then the document or concept is meaningless. How can any foreign business deal with this? Tourism? Obviously many won't go and that can't be good for business. Mom and Pop businesses may be hurt greatly.

Nope... the mom and pop shops will survive... They live and work in their own little world.

• Like 1

Nope... the mom and pop shops will survive... They live and work in their own little world.

So true; my Sister-in-Laws place was busier than normal this morning as with no TV or Radio people want someone to chat with while they are buying something.

and that is why in america, you have to right to bear arms and a lot have plenty of those, so some crazy coup leaders can eventually be overthrown with equal arms (minus the tanks, helicopters, jets, artillery)

To understand discussing recent events with Thais our foreign friends need to know the structure of Thai society, with every relationship clearly delineated between superior and inferior positions. Along with predictable relationships such as teacher-student, master-servant, and novice-monk, which determine who has the superior rank. In more subtle cases, such as between friends the older friend should talk, the younger should listen. Unless the younger friend has expertise on the subject, or is a member of a wealthier family.

• Like 2

Just my own personal opinion but i think the 'loss' of Facebook would be the most welcome loss of all time to most sensible people !

Do please tell us more about how billions of people are less sensible than you

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

and that is why in america, you have to right to bear arms and a lot have plenty of those, so some crazy coup leaders can eventually be overthrown with equal arms (minus the tanks, helicopters, jets, artillery)

Yes but America is a democracy where the military is answerable to the people (government). So any attempt at a coup would be a war against the people and they would therefore have the right to fight them

Thailand is not a democracy, the government will always be answerable to the military in the end. You have no right to fight the legitimate rulers of the country.

Oh dear. Now what do you feel about the coup?

Anyone inciting violence should be dealt with harshly.

I think inciting violence should be stopped but they might be shooting themselves in the foot by banning criticism.
Thus far, Prayuth's (and the military's) actions seem measured. There'll be lots of time for criticizing after the smoke clears.

Then it's too late

• Like 1

Perhaps the leaders of various groups have just learned that now is a time for working together to end the current situation.

One won't get far negotiating with someone if they criticize them as well.

What a sad perspective on democracy. Do you know how many people that have managed to settle their disputes at gun point?

This will not improve things, quite the opposite.

Thailand didn't have a democracy before the coup. And there's no hope of having a democracy unless Thailand establishes a democratic landscape.

Hopefully they can accomplish that with reforms.

Edited by Piichai

Perhaps the leaders of various groups have just learned that now is a time for working together to end the current situation.

One won't get far negotiating with someone if they criticize them as well.

What a sad perspective on democracy. Do you know how many people that have managed to settle their disputes at gun point?

This will not improve things, quite the opposite.

Thailand didn't have a democracy before the coup. And there's no hope of having a democracy unless Thailand establishes a democratic landscape.

Hopefully they can accomplish that with reforms.

That's what they have been telling us for nearly a year. And we don't even know what the reforms are. Nobody in a high position here likes a democracy. And you belive a good way to start any kind of reform is to forbid people to criticize it

Reforms are to be negotiated by all interested parties, not dictated by one. First the framework must be established.

While Abhisit proposed a reasonable framework to begin the process, it was stonewalled by PTP & UDD.

The Senate gave them another chance, but PTP & UDD stonewalled again.

Now Prayuth is having a go. But still PTP & UDD couldn't do something for the good of the country.

There most certainly will be changes, but one wonders if PTP will be part of them.

Still BBC at home.

I guess my cable operator is too lazy to shut it up.

WETV was showing all foreign/ sports channels till before 8pm when they were all slowly cut off If that goes on for a while, wonder if I can get a refund?

I bet tourists are IRATE- can't go out after 10pm and not even tv to watch in their rooms. I sense a lot of potential visitors will be going elsewhere. Just what the economy needs right now!

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Can't even watch cartoons on True. Ridiculous to block the entire programming. Money back ? I think not

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just deduct those days from your bill when you pay it and tell True that they can collect that money from the Army.