Airports in Thailand still in service; Air Asia, Thai Airways say all flights operated

webfact

Airports still in service; Air Asia, Thai Airways say all flights operated

air1.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 May 2014 (NNT) – The management of Suvarnabhumi Airport has already cooperated with the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council to ensure normal service for passengers, while management of Air Asia and Thai Airways have confirmed that the airlines are operating all flights as normal.

Rawiwan Nettrakhawetsana, director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said that shuttle buses are still running between Bangkok's two airports – Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang – and taxis that are based at Suvarnabhumi, that is those with orange stickers, are able to provide normal service.

The Airports of Thailand managing director Mekhin Phretphlai said that passengers who find themselves unfit for travel due to illness will be provided with a certification letter so they may travel to a hospital or to their home during the curfew period. Passengers at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports who are unable to find transportation during the curfew times are being provided with rest areas.

Don Mueang Airport officials said the resting rooms for passengers will be open around the clock, although the curfew time period is between 10pm and 5am.

Thai Airways International Plc. has given assurances that it is operating all flights, although passengers are asked to leave for the airport earlier than usual, and to prepare all available travel documents and itineraries for the information of officials along the way, as required.

Thai Air Asia management has suggested that passengers leave for the airport at least 3 hours before their flight, and to continue monitoring road traffic information. Management said Air Asia check-in counters will close 45 minutes before the departure time.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-23 footer_n.gif

Not too far off topic I hope - was asked earlier if the overnight buses and trains would be operating ?

Ventured a guess NO but things like this become a very grey area. The country will lose money hand over fist.

Heard in a previous TV post that the Thai army has made an exception for people to travel to the Bangkok airports during the curfew, (10PM - 5:30AM). Seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

Heard in a previous TV post that the Thai army has made an exception for people to travel to the Bangkok airports during the curfew, (10PM - 5:30AM). Seems reasonable to me.

I was on the roads yesterday until well after 10pm due to heavy traffic. There was no problem heading back after 10pm, however, I was driving my car rather than loitering around, which is what the curfew is supposed to be about.

• Like 1

Am seeing someone off from Suvarnabhumi tomorrow mid-day, but not departing as a passenger myself. Will I be able to access the airport? (All my docs totally in order, just not a departing pax.)

Mid day is OK. if you are there in the curfew hours then you need a ticket from the airport saying you have dropped someone off there. There was something regarding this yesterday. You have to park and then go in to the airport and get a ticket from floor 4 I think it said.

I caught a flight to Phnom Penh today (14:25)...traffic light, airport quiet, everything normal, did not see any military personel.

edit...The airport was Suvarnapoon.

Edited by trevor67

Did anyone around actually use the shuttle bus between Suwarnabhumi airport and Don Muang in the past 2 days and could confirm that it's really operational ? Not that I would dare to doubt the word of the Director himself of course...

Edited by Yann55

My brother was meant to be flying in from Dubai this Sunday but has had to cancel due to advice and travel insurance being invalid on top of that why come when you know that you have to be off the streets by 10 pm that's when things are just warming up ! At least he had a good time when he came at Songkran !

Thousands of people arrive at the airport after the curfew 10PM. I wonder if when I arrive my wife can come to meet me arriving before 10PM and when I arrive at midnight if I could drive to Pattaya. I would have all my baggage and air ticket for them to see. I feel that there must be concessions for such things when you can prove you are not up to 'no good'. Just wondering if anyone has had any such experience currently?????

'Saw a friend off at Swampy this morning. Situation totally normal there, and no evidence of military whatsoever. And that includes the ride from town; no traffic problems. A few flights here & there, mostly to chinese destinations (but by no means all or even most) had been cancelled, but that's all. 'Was there practically the whole morning.

'Saw a friend off at Swampy this morning. Situation totally normal there, and no evidence of military whatsoever. And that includes the ride from town; no traffic problems. A few flights here & there, mostly to chinese destinations (but by no means all or even most) had been cancelled, but that's all. 'Was there practically the whole morning.

I can't speak for everywhere either, but on Thursday night there was no military presence (other than the occasional lone soldier posted at some intersections that have been there since the start of martial law) and this was AFTER 10pm when I was still on the roads due to heavy traffic. Suddenly, somewhere east of Nawamin road the traffic started thinning out but I also saw no evidence of police checkpoints and wasn't even aware of any curfew until I heard about it on Channel News Asia later that evening. My fiance did mention something in the car but I thought she was being ridiculous but it turns out she was right when I turned on the news they continuously mentioned a 10pm-5am curfew.

Strangely though, why don't they just place a night time curfew on flight operations too? If there's a blanket curfew on all other activities and transport including night buses, night trains, then why not flights?! In other countries a night time flight curfew exists due to noise concerns but why does Thailand not ban night time flights arriving/departing from Thai airports (at least at the moment)? Like there's going to be many people coming nowadays anyway...

I can't speak for everywhere either, but on Thursday night there was no military presence (other than the occasional lone soldier posted at some intersections that have been there since the start of martial law) and this was AFTER 10pm when I was still on the roads due to heavy traffic. Suddenly, somewhere east of Nawamin road the traffic started thinning out but I also saw no evidence of police checkpoints and wasn't even aware of any curfew until I heard about it on Channel News Asia later that evening. My fiance did mention something in the car but I thought she was being ridiculous but it turns out she was right when I turned on the news they continuously mentioned a 10pm-5am curfew.

Strangely though, why don't they just place a night time curfew on flight operations too? If there's a blanket curfew on all other activities and transport including night buses, night trains, then why not flights?! In other countries a night time flight curfew exists due to noise concerns but why does Thailand not ban night time flights arriving/departing from Thai airports (at least at the moment)? Like there's going to be many people coming nowadays anyway...

Why the heck would they or should they do that?? Isn't the impact on tourism great enough already? 'Seems to me the regime is being fairly pragmatic when it comes to the curfew. Some might even say "relaxed". The regime cares about redshirt movements & activities, and the airport & foreign tourists have very little to do with that, and so are not much of a concern.