International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pro-military side in this debate could strengthen their arguments significantly by describing how efficient, well run, and effective the Thai military is, and by providing evidence that the generals have no tolerance for corruption or conflict of interests in their own organization.

You won't violate censorship by posting praise for the military, so go nuts.

Hey I do not give a dung about who favours what, I look at things in a positive mode. If things are better than before then GOOD and I have said before if king kong was running the show and it was better -I'm for it.

It is not a matter of pro military it is anything pro good.

The same as you were pro PTP this was the message coming from your posts as you were in denial.

My stance was I was not pro any party, I was pro governing correctly, and because of that stance it made me anti PTP.

When we were kids we were always pro Oxford in the boat race, I'll never know why but we always cheered them on.

You always cheered on PTP but they were not in the boat race they were in a political responsible position pledged and sworn in to uphold the values of Thailand, and take care of it's people--NOT it's self.

• Like 2

The pro-military side in this debate could strengthen their arguments significantly by describing how efficient, well run, and effective the Thai military is, and by providing evidence that the generals have no tolerance for corruption or conflict of interests in their own organization.

Hey I do not give a dung about who favours what, I look at things in a positive mode. If things are better than before then GOOD and I have said before if king kong was running the show and it was better -I'm for it.

The same as you were pro PTP this was the message coming from your posts as you were in denial.

My stance was I was not pro any party, I was pro governing correctly, and because of that stance it made me anti PTP.

When we were kids we were always pro Oxford in the boat race, I'll never know why but we always cheered them on.

You always cheered on PTP but they were not in the boat race they were in a political responsible position pledged and sworn in to uphold the values of Thailand, and take care of it's people--NOT it's self.

"Hey I do not give a dung about who favours what, I look at things in a positive mode. If things are better than before then GOOD and I have said before if king kong was running the show and it was better -I'm for it."

Curfews, censorship, soldiers with automatic weapons on the streets, detentions without charges or access to lawyers--life is good, isn't it?

I'm just a little concerned about King Kong's qualifications to eliminate corruption and set up a functional democracy. I'm also concerned about how to handle the situation if King Kong decides he doesn't want to let go of what he grabbed.

"You always cheered on PTP"

You aren't going to stop making these absurd claims, are you? Please present examples of my cheering on the PTP. When I see a choice between two evils I try to choose the lesser of the two. Is that beyond your grasp?

"When we were kids we were always pro Oxford in the boat race, I'll never know why but we always cheered them on."

Is it possible that you wanted to fit in with the crowd, not think too much and not ask difficult questions?

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

Numerous posts deleted because they are inflammatory, off-topic or replies to deleted posts. Also deleted are posts which violate fair use policy and those with messed up quotes.

You don't think that Sutheps threat of ignoring the Military and establishing his own Peoples council and choosing the Leader and reclaiming Sovereignty within a particular date also had little to do with the decision to slap the lot of them down? ;)

"Hey I do not give a dung about who favours what, I look at things in a positive mode. If things are better than before then GOOD and I have said before if king kong was running the show and it was better -I'm for it."

Curfews, censorship, soldiers with automatic weapons on the streets, detentions without charges or access to lawyers--life is good, isn't it?

I'm just a little concerned about King Kong's qualifications to eliminate corruption and set up a functional democracy. I'm also concerned about how to handle the situation if King Kong decides he doesn't want to let go of what he grabbed.

You aren't going to stop making these absurd claims, are you? Please present examples of my cheering on the PTP. When I see a choice between two evils I try to choose the lesser of the two. Is that beyond your grasp?

"When we were kids we were always pro Oxford in the boat race, I'll never know why but we always cheered them on."

Is it possible that you wanted to fit in with the crowd, not think too much and not ask difficult questions?

When PTP were in power, for nearly 3 years (before the protests) who were the other evil, as you said you go for the lesser, WHO was that.???

The only evil was the PTP so why were you crying down with these other apologists anyone critical of Yinglucks regime. Are you saying you didn't ???

I will apologize if I am wrong....sure.

Isn't defending the regime the same as cheering them on ???----if PTP were then not good why the outcry when Suthep came into the fray ???

• Like 2

all we have here now is a giant dummy spit by the pro ptp/reds still bitching because the army is doing a better job then their "team" ever did. The nightly attacks by reds has stopped, they have started finding all the reds weapons and they have also started finding the reds that attacked and killed the kids. They have paid the farmers, they have stopped the corrupt programs the ptp started. they are treating red and yellows exactly the same with no favouratism which is really p*ssing off the pro ptp/red crowd as it gives them nothing to cry over so they have to try to invent problems.

So far they have done more good for Thailand than the ptp did since it won the election. They are investigating the corrupt practices put in place by the ptp and grabbing people that are causing conflict, the curfews are being rolled back as is the rights removed from the press, they have removed the corrupt/red cops and actually have the police force doing their job properly(miracles do happen), from what I have seen on the streets and heard people talking about the majority of thais are very happy about it apart from the red/ptp huiggers that are trying to still cause conflict with their pretentious "anti coup" movement which is simply a giant front for the ptp/reds. Some people just dont know when their lies and innuendo are no longer valid but it does make for a good laugh reading their dummy spits.

Good stuff mate, criticize the bad governing, but holding a red flag up defending a bad government is not a healthy state. Bashing everyone who commented when PTP were rushing through bills and not allowing time for opposition. It's all on file.

Favouring a dictatorship in office and calling all who opposed them anti democratic--was the biggest laugh.

Now after Sutheps monkey business during the protests these same guys pick on the army, as anti democratic.

Give them a Mr. Whippy with a Cadbury flake and they would not be happy.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Ginjag, in your 35 years in Thailand, you've seen 3 coup's, which party and Government was the best in your opinion and why do you come to that opinion?

Can't wait to hear this one.

Have to do, I took Yinglucks stance ---no to question time and not to be bait to pro gov messengerscheesy.gif

Try a non political topic, will make a change, silly burgers.

• Like 1

Ginjag, in your 35 years in Thailand, you've seen 3 coup's, which party and Government was the best in your opinion and why do you come to that opinion?

Put the money in my account and I'll answer that, For starters I do not care for wind-ups. especially with your friends on here that are in the wings backing you up. Thailand for example.

• Like 1

Put the money in my account and I'll answer that, For starters I do not care for wind-ups. especially with your friends on here that are in the wings backing you up. Thailand for example.

Never met the guy, no idea who he is.

But It's this one isn't it?

"The January 2001 general election, the first election under the 1997 Constitution, was called the most open, corruption-free election in Thai history.[34] Thai Rak Thai Party, led by Thaksin Shinawatra won the election. The Thaksin government was the first in Thai history to complete a four-year term."

• Like 1

They could try. cheesy.gif

Try?

Most efficient coups in the world, most coups in the world, inquire about our "coup rate".

Need a peaceful coup? Call for price. No tanks? Never mind, we can help.

World leaders in terms of citizen support, up to 75%, guaranteed better than any corrupt politicians.

Happy coups are our specialty, normalcy included in every package.

Call between now and Dec 14 and get free urban Army-citizen disco parties.

Is your democracy infected with corruption? We guarantee results and provide references.

Strong record on lowest international alarm rates.

If you need a tank coup, we can provide the ladies.

girltroops.jpeg

PS. You may terminate the coup any time you are ready for a clean election!

Guaranteed "happy ending" coup.

It's better to have soldiers with weapons on the streets than thugs and militias going around murdering people with impunity. I, for one, call that progress.

No talk of civil wars or secession neither. Those are the things that triggered the coup, or you think Prayuth woke up one morning and say to himself "I wouldn't mind having a coup!"?

Hopefully the restrictions on free-speach and travel will be lifted soon, curfew is being lifted in some areas already.

I was not once threatened by a thug or militia before the coup. The numbers show that you were approximately one thousand times more likely to die in a road accident than killed by political violence during the months of protest. In fact you were many times more likely to die of a mosquito bite than from political violence, unless you wanted to get actively involved in the protests.

I never paid much attention to the talk of fringe groups, just as I learned to ignore the calls for final pushes from Suthep.

I think quite a lot of planning went into the timing and execution of this coup, for reasons that can't be stated here. You could find out for yourself if you have any desire to be better informed, but I don't think you do.

• Like 1

Quite a bit in international press over the last few days about things that are not allowed to be mentioned, digging deeper into the reasons and back room power play. Quite regular papers too, UK Financial times, the independent, US Washington post. seems to be a real interest in discussing that which cannot be in LOS. A lot of interest from Amnesty International on infringements of basic human rights.

Id say nothing about the international community's concern has changed, if anything the reporters are digging deeper than a week ago and bringing items to the foreground that might have otherwise been ignored or considered uninteresting.

This time the takeover of the country to quash democracy is of such a serious and unprecedentedly profound nature the foreign MSM and NGOs are going where they hadn't ever gone before.

The global reaction is already sparing no inward looking or parochial interests or institutions.

This one is going to cost, and its wages have only begun to be exacted globally.

The coup was not an act against Democracy, it was against Thaksin's government (again) abusing and subverting Democracy and to stop the Red Shirts from continuing their acts of terrorism and threats of civil war.

Prayuth already set as an objective to have elections after reforms to strenghten Democracy are in place, so far the most significant reform has been dismantling the Shinawatra's clan control on the RTP hierarchy, you can't have a funtioning Democracy when the law enforcement works for one political party instead of for the whole society.

By the way, it seems you overlooked this post.

The democratically elected government was swept out by two coups, one judicial and one military.

The current government is a military one that rules by martial law.

Democracy is gone.

No democracy on the horizon.

The chief of staff of the U.S. Army called Gen Prayuth to urge immediate restoration of democracy and got a run around.

Don't try to give me promises or assurances when the government was swept out by a military mutiny coup d'état because I won't believe you. No one on this side believes you. No one has any reason to believe you.

No reason whatsoever.

No such thing as "real" democracy anywhere. Closest is Switzerland with it's referendums.

Those that control the world allow a sham to placate the masses in their ignorance.

• Like 1

It's not a wind up, it's a genuine question because from what I have been reading, there hasn't been a Government that hasn't been accused of corruption and wrong doing and abusing its power,that hasn't resulted in them being overthrown by a coup.

You have always stated that you criticise any government that is hasn't taken the pledges and promises they took seriously and did what they could for the Thai people, you made a huge and very bold statement in that you have been in Thailand for 35 years, and I'm asking you a genuine question, in your opinion, seeing as the ousted PTP Government was so bad, in all your years, which Government wasn't abusing its power that you felt comfortable enough to not level any criticism towards, seeing as you have been scathing of Yinglucks one.

You see, with that bold statement earlier, you're coming over as a bit of an SME with regards to what constitutes a GOOD Thai Government.

Scott, I respect what you've said, however I do believe that the question is valid, given that Ginjag has constantly harped on about PTP Poor Governing, and abusing their powers, of which I don't disagree with, but I'm asking a direct question, which Government in the past was the benchmark, to base the ousted Government's failings on ?

• Like 2

The coup was not an act against Democracy, it was against Thaksin's government (again) abusing and subverting Democracy and to stop the Red Shirts from continuing their acts of terrorism and threats of civil war.

Prayuth already set as an objective to have elections after reforms to strenghten Democracy are in place, so far the most significant reform has been dismantling the Shinawatra's clan control on the RTP hierarchy, you can't have a funtioning Democracy when the law enforcement works for one political party instead of for the whole society.

By the way, it seems you overlooked this post.

The democratically elected government was swept out by two coups, one judicial and one military.

The current government is a military one that rules by martial law.

Democracy is gone.

No democracy on the horizon.

The chief of staff of the U.S. Army called Gen Prayuth to urge immediate restoration of democracy and got a run around.

Don't try to give me promises or assurances when the government was swept out by a military mutiny coup d'état because I won't believe you. No one on this side believes you. No one has any reason to believe you.

No reason whatsoever.

No such thing as "real" democracy anywhere. Closest is Switzerland with it's referendums.

Those that control the world allow a sham to placate the masses in their ignorance.

Where in my post did I say "real" democracy?

You're pulling stuff out of your arse the air.

That's the talk of the Thai and fahlang feudalists, that "real" democracy doesn't exist in Thailand. That's the standard running line of the feudalists, that "true" democracy doesn't exist in Thailand. That "actual" democracy doesn't exist.

That's the line propagated by you people so you can cheerfully claim there is no "real" democracy. You believe that if you can establish that big lie, then you therefore can invalidate Thai democracy to make way for the old feudal order to be dredged up and dumped on an unwilling population..

You feudalists have finally become carried away in your own reactionary and bogus rhetoric. By trying to deny democracy exists in the present and post-feudal world, you unsuccessfully try to justify your efforts to turn back the clock to the pre-democracy epoch of history, You try to propagandize the fraudulent theme because if you can establish the lie that Thai democracy doesn't "really" exist, then you might convince people everywhere Thailand loses nothing when you destroy the democratically elected government. .

You'd been chasing your own tails for months on end and now you've finally caught your tails and have bitten them.

Busted!

• Like 1

Getting gun shy lately I see.

Shell shocked.

• Like 1

It's better to have soldiers with weapons on the streets than thugs and militias going around murdering people with impunity. I, for one, call that progress.

No talk of civil wars or secession neither. Those are the things that triggered the coup, or you think Prayuth woke up one morning and say to himself "I wouldn't mind having a coup!"?

Hopefully the restrictions on free-speach and travel will be lifted soon, curfew is being lifted in some areas already.

I was not once threatened by a thug or militia before the coup. The numbers show that you were approximately one thousand times more likely to die in a road accident than killed by political violence during the months of protest. In fact you were many times more likely to die of a mosquito bite than from political violence, unless you wanted to get actively involved in the protests.

I never paid much attention to the talk of fringe groups, just as I learned to ignore the calls for final pushes from Suthep.

I think quite a lot of planning went into the timing and execution of this coup, for reasons that can't be stated here. You could find out for yourself if you have any desire to be better informed, but I don't think you do.

So because you, personally, were not affected by the violence it was OK... I don't think that's a very defensible attitude.

For your last paragraph, don't presume to know my attitudes toward information.

• Like 1

So because you, personally, were not affected by the violence it was OK... I don't think that's a very defensible attitude.

For your last paragraph, don't presume to know my attitudes toward information.

Yes, ideologs are that way. It is not happening unless it happens to them and even then they will obfuscate it if it conflicts with their ideology. Intellectually dishonest are what they are.

It's not a wind up, it's a genuine question because from what I have been reading, there hasn't been a Government that hasn't been accused of corruption and wrong doing and abusing its power,that hasn't resulted in them being overthrown by a coup.

You have always stated that you criticise any government that is hasn't taken the pledges and promises they took seriously and did what they could for the Thai people, you made a huge and very bold statement in that you have been in Thailand for 35 years, and I'm asking you a genuine question, in your opinion, seeing as the ousted PTP Government was so bad, in all your years, which Government wasn't abusing its power that you felt comfortable enough to not level any criticism towards, seeing as you have been scathing of Yinglucks one.

You see, with that bold statement earlier, you're coming over as a bit of an SME with regards to what constitutes a GOOD Thai Government.

Scott, I respect what you've said, however I do believe that the question is valid, given that Ginjag has constantly harped on about PTP Poor Governing, and abusing their powers, of which I don't disagree with, but I'm asking a direct question, which Government in the past was the benchmark, to base the ousted Government's failings on ?

It's an unfair question -which I guess is why he is not going to be drawn. Stating an opinion that one administration was the worst, does not mean any other were good - better perhaps, but not good necessarily, just grades of bad. Like one hole can be deeper than another, doesn't make any a hill instead, just holes of differing depths.

All this does not mean we should not hope for a good government in the future, or at least one much better than the last, or others before (if you like). Should we ignore the mistakes of history and repeat them - or use them as a guide for avoiding them in the future?

• Like 2