Nikon D800S

Went back to FX with 610 - night shots are Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is it Skip. This is it.

Once the lights go out my Pentax crop is not good at all. You need the big sensor for the low light. 24mp on crop is too much and the noise can be dreadful. Glad I hung on to the K-5IIs 16mp now.

I totted up what I've spent on Pentax crop and if I'd just gone with Nikon FX and the lenses I'd actually use it would have worked out cheaper.

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went back to FX with 610 - night shots are Amazing

This is it Skip. This is it.

Once the lights go out my Pentax crop is not good at all. You need the big sensor for the low light. 24mp on crop is too much and the noise can be dreadful. Glad I hung on to the K-5IIs 16mp now.

I totted up what I've spent on Pentax crop and if I'd just gone with Nikon FX and the lenses I'd actually use it would have worked out cheaper.

Welcome back MJP

Yes, read tons, and DX / Fx generally are both good, but FX comes out ahead if you like low light photography. DX usually is better on macro

Here is a fx sample of Mount Fuji at 2am ... Stars and all, the mountain was a lot darker looking at it.

post-25605-14016385317323_thumb.jpg

Original of course better

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by skippybangkok

^^ Skip, I have looked at the Nikon df since a big price drop. I really want FX for low light stuff and a df with the Nikkor 50/1.2 would be ideal. Only thing that's put me off is the 1/4000 min shutter speed and no video capability.

Crop is great if you shoot macro and long focal lengths. Neither of which I do much of.

^^ Skip, I have looked at the Nikon df since a big price drop. I really want FX for low light stuff and a df with the Nikkor 50/1.2 would be ideal. Only thing that's put me off is the 1/4000 min shutter speed and no video capability.

Crop is great if you shoot macro and long focal lengths. Neither of which I do much of.

D800 would be a much better camera than the DF IMHO, nearly the same amount of $$$$$$$. Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Unless your a pro, did not seem worth it to me. I also like less pixels than more, D610 hs more pixels than I need, can even see the blood vessels in the mrs eye when zoom in on a portrait

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1401677240.721673.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I wasn't referring to 610 verses 800. Different cameras, different features and different purposes IMO.

The D800 & Df are of similar price point, that's why I said that.

• Like 1

Oops

nothing wrong with the 610 old mate, you should get years of happiness and good shots from it.

the only downside to the camera I can see is for the people who normally use cameras with a pro layout of buttons and controls. But no big deal if you only use that type.

Going from the controls on the d3s to the d300s is very similar as is the d800 models, it only when you the go from the. to your style of camera that things get interesting, if not amusing ;)

^^^ND...yes...switching between an 800 & a 7000 is quite amusing at times especially

if one hasn't set up the 7000 before the start of the shoot! Toss in an F5 and matters

become insanely amusing...hah! The 610 is a good camera and yes Skip should get

years of great use from it. The Df interested me in the very beginning however the

price for the "retro" looking camera with "kit" lens sucked...read another Nikon Gimmick.

If I want retro...well....read again the sentence regarding the F5 while shooting digital!

• Like 1

If they were to bring out a professional layout APS-C sensor camera then I would buy that as a gift for my wife so I could take her D300. I like the layout of the D300 and it has a good feel about that, even better feel than the D800 IMO. The D800 is far too advanced for so e twit like me.

When I hold all these other DSLR's and I do realise they give excellent results but they all feel a bit flimsy, not nice in the hand and the controls confuse me.....I end up scratching my head a lot, I also dislike trying to scroll through screens to carry out basic functions.

I really like the wife's camera with programable buttons, but I get in trouble if I touch it :(

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

^^^ND....Regarding your first sentence...You sly old dog you! whistling.gifclap2.gif

I sympathise with your dislike of scrolling through menu screens

but sadly...that's the way it is these days. Mind you if you have

a desire for the simple things in life you need only to do two things;

1. Buy an F5...I know where one can still buy boxed brand new ones.

2. Here's the tricky part....buy a scanner...you will definitely need one!

And lastly...I never let anybody touch my buttons.

^^^ND....Regarding your first sentence...You sly old dog you! whistling.gifclap2.gif

I sympathise with your dislike of scrolling through menu screens

but sadly...that's the way it is these days. Mind you if you have

a desire for the simple things in life you need only to do two things;

1. Buy an F5...I know where one can still buy boxed brand new ones.

2. Here's the tricky part....buy a scanner...you will definitely need one!

And lastly...I never let anybody touch my buttons.

I'm not allowed to play with any of the good toys :( until they get old :(

More info on the supposedly new 800 series...below.

Gonna be more pricey than the 800E it seems.

What is sRAW? Small RAW. Google it....

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/05/20/rumors-nikon-d800d800e-replacement-coming-in-june.aspx/

Now ya know where the above pic came from...hah!

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Petapixel states it will be called the D810 but shows a pic of the 800E...

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/17/rumor-update-nikon-d800e-replacement-will-called-d810/

No "real" pix of the new camera have yet made it to the internet so I doubt the photo

above is for real also. Mind you I like the thumbwheel layout....however....

If this new bit of kit is actually made in Thailand as rumours have it and if Nikon

sells it for more than the 800E....there's gonna be a massive sales problem. If

they will keep the price in line with the straight 800...then Nik may have a winner.

But I kinda doubt this will happen.

Rumour control says that the new 810 will be on the shelves by June 16-28...

Edited by sunshine51

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/17/rumor-update-nikon-d800e-replacement-will-called-d810/

No "real" pix of the new camera have yet made it to the internet so I doubt the photo

If this new bit of kit is actually made in Thailand as rumours have it and if Nikon

they will keep the price in line with the straight 800...then Nik may have a winner.

Derek and Gerald have deemed the cost savings of slave labour and poor QC outweigh the brand image and risk to sales volume.

^^^ Too true MJP...too true.

However...looking back on the Niks

I have owned for over 40 years, starting

with my first Photomic F back in 71 ...I

seriously wish that Nikon would get it right

the first time these days like they used to

do so many years ago. Back then Nik would

nail it on the initial get go...not so these days.

Back in the old days Nik's were expensive and

one had to save for a good while to get one; when

you got your Nik you had a quality piece of kit

you could use for ages...but I digress...

what is quality over quantity these days ?

Nada that's what.

Edited by sunshine51

Highly doubt that Sunny, it's release (announcement date). is the 26th (apparently) and it will be some weeks before it's available in the USA and Europe. Thailand will be a couple of months away, Australia gets it before Thailand, same as with the D300s, I actually picked that up in. Oz before it was available in LOS. Madness, give. the factors made here. 5555

Derek and Gerald have deemed the cost savings of slave labour and poor QC outweigh the brand image and risk to sales volume.

I kind of disagree MJP.

The D300/D300s was made in Thailand, it was arguably one of the best selling DSLR's to date and it had zero, zilch, nil problems, actually the old banger his is still churning away, nothing bothers it.

Of course everyone is just concerned after the original D600/D800/D4 debarkles. I understand ur concerns.

So e douchebag that can't even spell Thailand really has no idea. IMHO.

Nada that's what.

Sunny, old dad, take ur meds 55555

It will be okay, just wait and see. Nikon cannot afford another bungle, it will be okay. You can't really blame Nikon for trying to maximise profit, they're in a white of a place due to mismanagement by senior ex douchbags. They need to get it right or they may just become history, or join the ranks of 'printer' manufacturers, just like those nasty cannon things. ;)

I kind of disagree MJP.

The D300/D300s was made in Thailand, it was arguably one of the best selling DSLR's to date and it had zero, zilch, nil problems, actually the old banger his is still churning away, nothing bothers it.

Of course everyone is just concerned after the original D600/D800/D4 debarkles. I understand ur concerns.

I have no concerns old boy. I have Pentax. smile.png

I just pray Pentax finally comes up with a full frame sports shooter sometime. Nikon looks a bit of a gamble.

Nada that's what.

Sunny, old dad, take ur meds 55555

It will be okay, just wait and see. Nikon cannot afford another bungle, it will be okay. You can't really blame Nikon for trying to maximise profit, they're in a white of a place due to mismanagement by senior ex douchbags. They need to get it right or they may just become history, or join the ranks of 'printer' manufacturers, just like those nasty cannon things. wink.png

I hope what you profess comes to fruition ND I really do. Cockup after cockup doesn't

say much good about Nik these days and yes...it's us old, long time Nik users who

suffer & get angry and rant & pant & swear we're gonna turn to Canon...but who wants

to buy an iffy Nik...even after it's been factory "repaired"? Nobody thats who.

That off me gut...when Nik's work....ahhhhhhh....they work wonders!

Nik got the D300's right...that's why they still hold their value today and are a

great camera to own. The D700 was the same...and like the 300 still is today.

Both great cameras that were done right at the get go.

• Like 1

I kind of disagree MJP.

I have no concerns old boy. I have Pentax. smile.png

I just pray Pentax finally comes up with a full frame sports shooter sometime. Nikon looks a bit of a gamble.

MJP,

Nonesense !

Please administer yourself one quick, sharp and precise uppercut. (from me with love).

I see, Nikon no more of a risk than Pentax. Every brand has had it's hurdles. Mistakes can be made, it's human thing.

Nikon gear coming out of Thailand is very good. Many years ago people didn't want Japanese rubbish, now it's highly sort after.

When I win the lottery (the big one) I will buy MJP a niks sports camera and he will tap dance joyfully.....couple of little girlie screams.

Not that there's anything wrong with Pentax, or Cannon for that matter, they're all mostly consumer gear, reasonably good at what they do and well priced, with no shortage of options.

Everything else is tosh, I understands Pros and Enthusiasts wanting the best gear.....not much use in my hands.

What's the best camera to have?

I'm often asked this question from fellow pro's, enthusiasts and

rank amateurs plus others who just haven't a clue. At one time

I would mention to the person asking said question: "How much

time can you spare today?" then get them to buy me a few beers

and it would be a camera specific Q & A session that may last

hours. Good hours...when the light was that perfect place in

the late afternoon sky and people would be busying themselves

etc...I would be talking shop...good hours wasted. OK my fault

but I try to answer questions from serious question askers who

desire a helpful answer.

Nowadays I simply say: "Whatever you have in your hand, pouch,

pocket, backpack or around your neck at the time you see a

possible picture." Or something to that effect...and continue on

and about my way.

This brings me to that Ken Rockwell guy and his website. IMO

it's simply an ok website...not a great one, not a bad one, just

an average run of the mill website. Good for basic info only &

not much else. But I wonder....

After perusing his website I must say that he states he owns many

cameras & lenses of many makes. OK it's not a direct statement

but if you read a few pages he will say...when I ordered my...etc...

etc....I translate that to owning whatever he ordered. This roughly

translates to owning more gear than B & H has in stock and on

order...for the history of B & H photo!

Where does Mr. Rockwell keep it all?!

Sorry to go OT, sorry for the digression, It's Monday.

Apols where necessary.

I can't afford to love the Nikon. I must hate the Nikon. If I don't hate the Nikon the Nikon may attack the bank account.

Be strong my friend, fight it.

p.s. there won't be that many occasions where what you have already will be same as Nikon. Maybe are low light situations might have an edge

I can't afford to love the Nikon. I must hate the Nikon. If I don't hate the Nikon the Nikon may attack the bank account.

Be strong my friend, fight it.

p.s. there won't be that many occasions where what you have already will be same as Nikon. Maybe are low light situations might have an edge

I get longer with age. As in longer focal length. APS-C is diamond for this and the next purchase will be the Pentax DA* 60-250 f/4 and the new Pentax HD 1.4x teleconverter along with an Induro GHB2 gimbal head. The 60-250 combined with the new HD teleconverter is getting seriously good results on the K-3.

The Sony A7s with the Novoflex adapters for PK and M42 is an option for a compact full framer for the low light. Although I do fear the Sony Zeiss glass, especially the 24/1.8, 55/1.8 and 135/1.8.

It's all about self control.