Catch me if you can: red leader

Lite Beer

Catch me if you can: red leader
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Red Sunday Group leader Sombat Boonngam-anong is the first person on the list of 114 summoned by the military junta yesterday who has publicly refused to report, saying that staging a coup was illegitimate. He challenged the junta on Twitter and Facebook to catch him if they can.

"Hilarious. Not reporting [to the junta] is considered a criminal offence. But when they deploy tanks to seize power and tear down the Constitution, it is not even a violation of the Criminal Act," Sombat tweeted at around 1.40pm yesterday from his @nuling tweet account.

Sombat's whereabouts are not known and the junta, which staged the coup on Thursday afternoon and created the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC), warned that anyone on the list who did not report would face a criminal charge.

Sombat, in his mid-40s and known for his role in leading a small group of protesters in the aftermath of the bloody crackdown on red shirts in 2010 and as a member of a prominent anti-2006 coup network, has vowed to evade the military junta.

One Twitter user noted: "If [sombat] manages to avoid capture until the end of military rule, I don't see how he could be prosecuted."

With blanket broadcast-media blackout by the junta, which saw even the BBC and CNN news channels being removed by the local cable-TV providers, social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook became the last bastion of public opinion not encroached on by the junta.

Suda Rangkupan, another red-shirt leader and a former Chulalongkorn University academic, known for her calls to release all political prisoners, including lese majeste detainees, is another one still active on Twitter.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-24

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has the Thaksin mentality.

It's almost quaint the Pavlovian brainless response that Yellows have for Thaksin's name and how they use it for anything they see as bad even when it makes no sense. It's been amusing watching the brain trust around here try to justify this occupation by the rebel militia.

"Something, something Dubai!"

As for Sombat, he probably will never see this but if I ever met the guy I'd buy him a beer right away. Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

He might not read it, but you can be assured that other certain people will take note of your comments, Don't be surprised if you and other likewise clowns get a knock on the door in the very near future.

• Like 1

Will we be reading about PDRC folks being hauled off as well as the ones who shut down the international airport , a true security breach.

don't read much do you?? check around for those STILL in custody and you'll see from thai visas own sources there are equal numbers arrested except for those with firearms on he red shirt side

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's almost quaint the Pavlovian brainless response that Yellows have for Thaksin's name and how they use it for anything they see as bad even when it makes no sense. It's been amusing watching the brain trust around here try to justify this occupation by the rebel militia.

As for Sombat, he probably will never see this but if I ever met the guy I'd buy him a beer right away. Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

Better hurry up with that beer - this guy is probably in line to be redacted anyway. I love your "anti-red must be yellow" cliche - keep em coming.

• Like 1

I'm completely baffled how you can take sides in this. I'm assuming you are an ex-pat and that you have an IQ above room temperature.

he'll probably be the one racing to the world trade centre telling the international media,"i'm gonna go help burn it down" clueless and brainless

Lordy, another Knee Jerk asserting fair elections and that such, in reality polluted elections, could actually equal democracy. Amazing ThaiVisa Forum.

Great to see someone having a go!

The thai people overwhelming and democratically voted in yingluck and the PTP and now have had it ripped away from them by the elite yellows once again .

He sees the will of the people being denied and he's not just going to roll over.

I'd buy him a beer to!

How wonderfully simple it must be in the Red world; no sophisticated thought is needed or allowed. The Reds only know their precious is gone, but are unable to grasp the fact that she violated the law and was removed as a consequence.

The Reds may have a good agenda; I cannot say, as their message will always be lost in the noise of their illegal and thuggish actions.

Actually, Sombat represents a different line of thought and action from the rest of the red-shirt movement. His ideas and contributions to the national debate have been discussed on thaivisa before, with even those who usually oppose the larger red movement acknowledging the difference. For one thing, he is not a Thaksinite. For another, he is committed to nonviolence. And he has a long, well-respected history of service to society through the many organizations he founded, which work on problems like helping hilltribe children attain Thai citizenship, locating missing persons, countering begging gangs, and providing IT education in rural areas.

I've known him personally for about 14 years. In 2006, not too long after the coup, we had a long conversation about politics and reforming Thai society. He wants to overturn the entrenched feudalistic attitudes that block the nation's progress. He made it clear that he could care less about Thaksin, but that this was the first time in history that poor rural Thais were finding their political voice.

And here's my disclaimer: I'm neither red nor yellow. Over my 20 years here, I have known Thais from every walk of life, from dirt poor rural farmers to ethnic minorities to Bangkok middle class to aristocrats etc etc. Thailand is in a complex and tricky situation right now, and it behooves anyone who cares about the place to keep a reasonable mind, see past the colors, and try to understand who's who and what's actually being said.

While you may have a good point, it is Sombat who chose to get in bed with Thaksin. And when Thaksin no longer needs the Reds, Sombat will realize that he has been taken advantage of by Thaksin just as so many others have.

• Like 2

Actually, Sombat represents a different line of thought and action from the rest of the red-shirt movement. His ideas and contributions to the national debate have been discussed on thaivisa before, with even those who usually oppose the larger red movement acknowledging the difference. For one thing, he is not a Thaksinite. For another, he is committed to nonviolence. And he has a long, well-respected history of service to society through the many organizations he founded, which work on problems like helping hilltribe children attain Thai citizenship, locating missing persons, countering begging gangs, and providing IT education in rural areas.

I've known him personally for about 14 years. In 2006, not too long after the coup, we had a long conversation about politics and reforming Thai society. He wants to overturn the entrenched feudalistic attitudes that block the nation's progress. He made it clear that he could care less about Thaksin, but that this was the first time in history that poor rural Thais were finding their political voice.

And here's my disclaimer: I'm neither red nor yellow. Over my 20 years here, I have known Thais from every walk of life, from dirt poor rural farmers to ethnic minorities to Bangkok middle class to aristocrats etc etc. Thailand is in a complex and tricky situation right now, and it behooves anyone who cares about the place to keep a reasonable mind, see past the colors, and try to understand who's who and what's actually being said.

Well said!

I'm actually pro the Junta as a catalyst for change but I appreciated your well presented piece!

Sombat does have a good CV

Sombat Boonngamanong is the director and founder of The Mirror Foundation, a nonprofit organization working in the northern Thai province of Chiang Rai. They operate programs that help the hilltribe people of Mae Yao sub-district to combat their everyday struggles with unemployment, poverty, drug addiction and lack of Thai citizenship. The aim of The Mirror Foundation is to promote social change, human rights and universal equality through mutual co-operation, self-education and an active community. Last year The Mirror Foundation celebrated its 20th anniversary and started more initiatives on tackling issues such as human trafficking, the environment, and disaster recovery. Through the Foundation, Boonngamanong links the interests of children, teachers, and parents so that everyone can participate in the educational process. Using the Internet, he is also actively extending this community to the rest of Thailand, its government, and even international neighbors. In 2000, he was recognized as a Social Entrepreneur for Change and was awarded the Ashoka Fellowship. He also established Bannok TV, a network that supports the hilltribe lifestyle in Northern Thailand through archiving traditional ceremonies, songs, customs, costumes, farming processes, weaving methods and hunting techniques. This initiative received recognition from The World Bank. - See more at: http://philanthropyforum.org/members/sombat-boonngamanong/#sthash.ICf1gFNw.dpuf

• Like 2