Catch me if you can: red leader

Lite Beer

Actually, Sombat represents a different line of thought and action from the rest of the red-shirt movement. His ideas and contributions to the national debate have been discussed on thaivisa before, with even those who usually oppose the larger red movement acknowledging the difference. For one thing, he is not a Thaksinite. For another, he is committed to nonviolence. And he has a long, well-respected history of service to society through the many organizations he founded, which work on problems like helping hilltribe children attain Thai citizenship, locating missing persons, countering begging gangs, and providing IT education in rural areas.

I've known him personally for about 14 years. In 2006, not too long after the coup, we had a long conversation about politics and reforming Thai society. He wants to overturn the entrenched feudalistic attitudes that block the nation's progress. He made it clear that he could care less about Thaksin, but that this was the first time in history that poor rural Thais were finding their political voice.

And here's my disclaimer: I'm neither red nor yellow. Over my 20 years here, I have known Thais from every walk of life, from dirt poor rural farmers to ethnic minorities to Bangkok middle class to aristocrats etc etc. Thailand is in a complex and tricky situation right now, and it behooves anyone who cares about the place to keep a reasonable mind, see past the colors, and try to understand who's who and what's actually being said.

Well said!

I'm actually pro the Junta as a catalyst for change but I appreciated your well presented piece!

Sombat does have a good CV

Sombat Boonngamanong is the director and founder of The Mirror Foundation, a nonprofit organization working in the northern Thai province of Chiang Rai. They operate programs that help the hilltribe people of Mae Yao sub-district to combat their everyday struggles with unemployment, poverty, drug addiction and lack of Thai citizenship. The aim of The Mirror Foundation is to promote social change, human rights and universal equality through mutual co-operation, self-education and an active community. Last year The Mirror Foundation celebrated its 20th anniversary and started more initiatives on tackling issues such as human trafficking, the environment, and disaster recovery. Through the Foundation, Boonngamanong links the interests of children, teachers, and parents so that everyone can participate in the educational process. Using the Internet, he is also actively extending this community to the rest of Thailand, its government, and even international neighbors. In 2000, he was recognized as a Social Entrepreneur for Change and was awarded the Ashoka Fellowship. He also established Bannok TV, a network that supports the hilltribe lifestyle in Northern Thailand through archiving traditional ceremonies, songs, customs, costumes, farming processes, weaving methods and hunting techniques. This initiative received recognition from The World Bank. - See more at: http://philanthropyforum.org/members/sombat-boonngamanong/#sthash.ICf1gFNw.dpuf

If what you are both saying is true and I have no reason to doubt it, then surely he must realize the need for reforms so these underprivileged people can be helped.

Education reforms would be essential plus health, social, environmental and others.

That being the case why hasn't he been pushing for reforms ?

Why now is he defying the Army when one of the stated aims is to implement reforms (before an election).

I understand it would be difficult for him do anything where he is because of militant red domination if he didn't join with them but to come out as he has now done and make himself a target can be of little help to the hilltribe people.

I will go farther on this.

That the army has taken over is now a fact of life, whether we like it or not. Get used to it.

They have stated the aim is to hold a general election after it can be run freely and fairly and reforms have been put in place. That would seem to be a reasonable aim.

Assuming they are genuine in this and I don't see them wanting to hold on to power for the sake of it, then to fight against the army can only delay the process and consequently an election.

Therefore those who say they want an election would be best to get together and help with a reform process which would include reforms in all sectors.

The only way anyone can have their opinions on this heard is to take part and the more input from as many people and groups the better.

• Like 2

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well looks like it's being considered now to establish a Thai government in exile!

Several countries have already agreed to host the government .

Prayuth did not see that coming 555!

If it is formed no civilized country will recognize his coup government and he can "govern" his army units!

Wet dreaming again! cheesy.gif

This has been said many times. The original Reds were a grass roots pressure group with good ideals and aims - it was hijacked by the Shin supporters and the aims skewed drastically - with lip service paid to the grass root with crap populist policies. I don't know this guy, but if he does have integrity, and follows the original aims of the Reds, then he would make a much better leader. How many of the anti-Red people are actually just ant-Shin/anti-Thaksin? I would surmise, a fair chunk.

May be it is in his best interests to turn himself in - by not he may end up with a ban or (remember we have no idea as to reforms now coming) barred from standing due to a conviction.

What "original Reds" would these be?

It can be said that there was wide spread discontent, but red shirts as such came about in connection with

Thaksin's demise. Not a cohesive pressure group prior to that, as far as I'm aware. If you can point out when

exactly the movement was hijacked by Thaksin, and what notable actions, good ideals and aims they upheld

prior to this dastardly act, it may be easier to relate.

Grass roots? - depends how you look at it: most of the grunts are, same for lower and mid level echelons of

leadership. A hefty part of the higher ups are either "imported" Southerners (and some friction about that) or

people who haven't touched a root in their lives. The funding certainly has nothing to do with grass roots.

While Sombat is relatively moderate, I wouldn't say be hasty in applying "integrity". As others mentioned,

while he was not especially pro-Thaksin and generally anti-violence, he could have been more active in

distancing himself from both elements.

I think you overestimate his place and influence among the red-shirts. He's got a crowd of followers, yes, but

nothing like the main firebrand style leaders. Not sure what makes people think he's leadership material, not

to mention prime minister caliber.

My missus assures me this red shirt/yellow shirt crap only started after Thaksin became prominent. It wasn't around before then apparently.

• Like 1

He has the Thaksin mentality.

It's almost quaint the Pavlovian brainless response that Yellows have for Thaksin's name and how they use it for anything they see as bad even when it makes no sense. It's been amusing watching the brain trust around here try to justify this occupation by the rebel militia.

"Something, something Dubai!"

As for Sombat, he probably will never see this but if I ever met the guy I'd buy him a beer right away. Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

Don't the reds do the same? Elite this and fascist this? Just as bad.

You forgot Ammart

He has the Thaksin mentality.

It's almost quaint the Pavlovian brainless response that Yellows have for Thaksin's name and how they use it for anything they see as bad even when it makes no sense. It's been amusing watching the brain trust around here try to justify this occupation by the rebel militia.

"Something, something Dubai!"

As for Sombat, he probably will never see this but if I ever met the guy I'd buy him a beer right away. Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

He might not read it, but you can be assured that other certain people will take note of your comments, Don't be surprised if you and other likewise clowns get a knock on the door in the very near future.

I fully expect him to try. Which is part of the reason why I am in the middle of moving myself and as much of my family as I can out of Thailand right now (apart from the fact that I don't want to run a business in the midst of a civil war!. I saw the coup coming a long time ago and had almost finished selling up by the time it hit. Let Prayuth and his secret police try and extradite me to a military dictatorship for political "crimes". Catch me if you can!

Edited by ThailandNoob

Actually, Sombat represents a different line of thought and action from the rest of the red-shirt movement. His ideas and contributions to the national debate have been discussed on thaivisa before, with even those who usually oppose the larger red movement acknowledging the difference. For one thing, he is not a Thaksinite. For another, he is committed to nonviolence. And he has a long, well-respected history of service to society through the many organizations he founded, which work on problems like helping hilltribe children attain Thai citizenship, locating missing persons, countering begging gangs, and providing IT education in rural areas.

I've known him personally for about 14 years. In 2006, not too long after the coup, we had a long conversation about politics and reforming Thai society. He wants to overturn the entrenched feudalistic attitudes that block the nation's progress. He made it clear that he could care less about Thaksin, but that this was the first time in history that poor rural Thais were finding their political voice.

And here's my disclaimer: I'm neither red nor yellow. Over my 20 years here, I have known Thais from every walk of life, from dirt poor rural farmers to ethnic minorities to Bangkok middle class to aristocrats etc etc. Thailand is in a complex and tricky situation right now, and it behooves anyone who cares about the place to keep a reasonable mind, see past the colors, and try to understand who's who and what's actually being said.

I'm surprised an activist with that kind of credential would want to be associated with the RedShirt Thaksin Regime. He may be anti feudal, but Thaksin and the red shirts are about as feudal as they come

A lot of people that know Sombat were equally confused when he threw away his excellent work and efforts over many years and took up with the maniac Red Shirts, who have their inseparable ties with Thaksin.

He disappointed many of his strident supporters with the sell out.

Well looks like it's being considered now to establish a Thai government in exile!

Wow, even more dishonest than Amsterdam...no easy accomplishment.

Even he acknowledges that not one country has agreed at this time.

Wow, even more dishonest than Amsterdam... and that is no easy accomplishment.

Even he acknowledges that not one country has agreed at this time.

• Like 1

Great to see Sombat exposes the military coup as what it is - against the constitution and illegal!

The military has no legal authority to order anybody to do anything.

Next step should be now to establish a government in exile and challenge the authority of the military leadership with the backing of the international community have Prayuth and all involved in the coup arrested and charged with treason.

You sound like Mr. Amsterdam,

Just one thing. There wasn't a government. The caretaker PM and several of her cabinet had been removed for breaking the law, acting illegally. The legitimacy of the replacement acting acting caretaker PM, supposedly elected by the remaining caretaker cabinet but in reality appointed by the wannabee dictator and criminal fugitive Thaksin, has never been established. Nor has his Royal approval.

The armed forces commanders and their military forces have acted patriotically in the interests of restoring law, order and some peace whilst tying to find a positive way out that benefits the Thai people. They should be applauded and supported.

Establish a government in exile - and who would head that? A common criminal fugitive with 15 serious outstanding charges waiting his return? His cousin who still refuses to answer for illegally issuing a new passport to him?

Once the investigation into money theft, trails and laundering is underway, some of those detained might become suddenly very co-operative.

Well they have the support of the worlds major powers, patriotically, doubt it they just had there strings pulled and acted accordingly. 27 deaths in last 7 months as justification for the coup, lets see how many there are in the next 7 months after the soldier boys have come in. Wonder how the Generals retirement is going to be when the next red government is voted in and what his bank balance is now and what it will be come the day of his retirement.

If the general does a good job then the next government cant bully anyone around. New checks and balances and such, with some luck he will check the bank balances of the previous government thieves and hits them where it hurts.. taking away the unusual wealth.

That would be the best thing ever though honestly i think its an unspoken rule never to go after others stolen money.

Sounds like exactly the right kind of person who should be participating in the process. Instead of being a smart Alec and playing games with the military which he will lose.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apparently the Military have seized his bank accounts and other assets along with cancelling his passport. He and his family are now homeless and broke and apparently under martial law he has no grounds of appeal, it's all gone. People who help in any shape or form will face criminal charges and lengthy jail terms. You could say he is alone and been rogered with a ten foot pole.

Sounds like exactly the right kind of person who should be participating in the process. Instead of being a smart Alec and playing games with the military which he will lose.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apparently the Military have seized his bank accounts and other assets along with cancelling his passport. He and his family are now homeless and broke and apparently under martial law he has no grounds of appeal, it's all gone. People who help in any shape or form will face criminal charges and lengthy jail terms. You could say he is alone and been rogered with a ten foot pole.

Sounds like it sucks to be him...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great to see Sombat exposes the military coup as what it is - against the constitution and illegal!

Next step should be now to establish a government in exile and challenge the authority of the military leadership with the backing of the international community have Prayuth and all involved in the coup arrested and charged with treason.

The military has the authority and it comes from the highest authority in the land, so don't start this mind bending exercise of what is not right and what is wrong The military are not acting on their own.

Which part of ILLEGAL COUP did you not understand?

It is only 2 words can't be that difficult?

3 Posts the same.....you would have to be "The Stuttering Parrot" in disguise

Hahaha......Pavin Chachavalpongpun sends a message to Prayuth who "summond " him to report- telling the army chief he is busy and that he will send his pet dog to represent him instead!!!

Who?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

attachicon.gifdg.jpg

The dog looks smarter than your average garden variety ThaiRouge orc, and the only thing red about him is his tongue ! clap2.gif (and perhaps one other extremity) whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The military has the authority and it comes from the highest authority in the land, so don't start this mind bending exercise of what is not right and what is wrong The military are not acting on their own.

Which part of ILLEGAL COUP did you not understand?

It is only 2 words can't be that difficult?

3 Posts the same.....you would have to be "The Stuttering Parrot" in disguise

He has to post under multiple names, nobody would believe that one person could come up with that much tripe. whistling.gif

Following Sombat's Facebook page. He has invited police and civil servants to meet him today at McDonald's, Amarin Plaza. The place is already surrounded by army waiting for him.

Also on his page he explains how he is staying online. Translation:

"I hacked into my neighbors wifi, set up an overseas VPN, connected it back here and am controlling a computer remotely to be on Facebook."

Edited by Puwa

Following Sombat's Facebook page. He has invited police and civil servants to meet him today at McDonald's, Amarin Plaza. The place is already surrounded by army waiting for him.

"I hacked into my neighbors wifi, set up an overseas VPN, connected it back here and am controlling a computer remotely to be on Facebook."

The first part of his explanation is not exactly what one would expect from a new breed of leadership, is it?

This has been said many times. The original Reds were a grass roots pressure group with good ideals and aims - it was hijacked by the Shin supporters and the aims skewed drastically - with lip service paid to the grass root with crap populist policies. I don't know this guy, but if he does have integrity, and follows the original aims of the Reds, then he would make a much better leader. How many of the anti-Red people are actually just ant-Shin/anti-Thaksin? I would surmise, a fair chunk.

May be it is in his best interests to turn himself in - by not he may end up with a ban or (remember we have no idea as to reforms now coming) barred from standing due to a conviction.

What "original Reds" would these be?

It can be said that there was wide spread discontent, but red shirts as such came about in connection with

Thaksin's demise. Not a cohesive pressure group prior to that, as far as I'm aware. If you can point out when

exactly the movement was hijacked by Thaksin, and what notable actions, good ideals and aims they upheld

prior to this dastardly act, it may be easier to relate.

Grass roots? - depends how you look at it: most of the grunts are, same for lower and mid level echelons of

leadership. A hefty part of the higher ups are either "imported" Southerners (and some friction about that) or

people who haven't touched a root in their lives. The funding certainly has nothing to do with grass roots.

While Sombat is relatively moderate, I wouldn't say be hasty in applying "integrity". As others mentioned,

while he was not especially pro-Thaksin and generally anti-violence, he could have been more active in

distancing himself from both elements.

I think you overestimate his place and influence among the red-shirts. He's got a crowd of followers, yes, but

nothing like the main firebrand style leaders. Not sure what makes people think he's leadership material, not

to mention prime minister caliber.

WRT "Original Reds" - what you say is probably true. I am talking about the radio and TV broadcasts from early on, before the election, before the election promises (populist crap) when they were talking about farmers rights, rice farmers' consortiums (to move the power from the agents/buyer/miller middle men), better health and educational systems in rural areas, lifting minimum wage in the boonies to match that of BKK, that sort of thing - rather than tablets, rice and rubber pledging schemes, nutty and super-inflationary rise in minimum wage(starting in BKK!) and so on. My MILs café was full of tuk tuk drivers, lorry drivers and day workers all pro-red - Red radio on all day long - talk all day with successive customers was the same, and very little of it about Thaksin - mostly about lifting wages for the poor and fair treatment for farmers, along with anti-yellow/anti-PAD/anti-monarchy spiel.

These are what the policies were at that time - or at least the publicised ones - this is what the voters thought they were getting right up until the election, when more and more promises were made that were above and beyond what most intially wanted, but of course they wanted them all now - just don't think they realised it was replacing what they had been sold on at the start. When they got in, it was suddenly all about Thaksin and those populist policies. All reminiscent of Pinocchio, where the boys are lured in with promises of a free funfair, then completely sold with gifts of sweets and cakes, only to end up as donkeys!

You are of course right about the leadership - it is this that I meant by "hijacked" - this and what I say above wrt policies. It would be naïve to think that this was not the plan from the start, but it fooled a nation. Those original policies were workable and good ideas, with a leadership from those grunts as you call them, and without the appointed Shin puppets, it could have been a good government for all. If they can manage to strip out those Thaksin flunkies and silly candyfloss policies and return to the original policies as sold (whether they were honest offerings at the time or not) and a leader with integrity can be found, then maybe the future could look brighter than it does right now.

Well .. if proved they can get him for some computer crime!

So funny. People on the run saying how they break the law!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app