Governor asks coup leaders for flexibility in Phuket curfew

Lite Beer

Governor asks coup leaders for flexibility in Phuket curfew
Phuket Gazette -

1_201452413401646_zMWWrGvohvVkvYOgJMeaqO

The governor said he had asked the NPOMC to consider a flexible curfew for Phuket, in light of the importance of tourism here. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: Governor Maitri Inthusut requested that Phuket be given a flexible curfew as it is a tourist destination, he told a meeting of more than 100 high-ranking government officers today.

He made the request at yesterday’s briefing of governors and police chiefs at the Royal Thai Army Fourth Area Command in Nakhon Sri Thammarat (story here).

While he did not receive a response to his request, he was optimistic.

“I think flexibility for tourism areas may happen soon,” he said.

At yesterday’s briefing, Governor Maitri was told to disseminate information about the 22 announcements issued up to that point by the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC), the governing body under the coup.

There are strict restrictions on political activity, the governor stressed.

“Gatherings of more than five people for political purposes is prohibited. Government officers are not allowed to discuss political opinions with the media, and any seminar or meeting with political content must be cancelled,” he said.

“However, gatherings such as events or exhibitions can still be held, but they must finish before the curfew starts,” Gov Maitri said.

During the curfew, only those people who are exempt (story here) are allowed on the streets between 10pm and 5am.

Nevertheless, tourists are free to enjoy nightlife at the hotel or resort where they are staying, confirmed Patong Police chief Chiraphat Pochanaphan.

“They may use the restaurants and bars in their hotels, they just can’t go out after the curfew starts,” Col Chiraphat said.

Normally vibrant Patong was quiet again last night as the 10pm to 5am lockdown extended to a second day.

“We had police patrols go out last night, but no arrests were made. People are obeying the curfew,” the colonel said.

Shopkeepers may keep their businesses open past 10pm as long as they do not go outside, noted Phuket Provincial Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee.

“If you stay in your place, it’s fine. Noodle shops or boiled rice restaurants can stay open, as long as the staff stay at the shop after curfew,” he explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Governor-asks-coup-leaders-flexibility-Phuket-curfew/29540#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-24

Shopkeepers may keep their businesses open past 10pm as long as they do not go outside, noted Phuket Provincial Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee.

“If you stay in your place, it’s fine. Noodle shops or boiled rice restaurants can stay open, as long as the staff stay at the shop after curfew,” he explained.

Unless they want to keep their signs lit or cook for morning sales, what's the point, where are the customers?

I do agree that Phuket, Pats, Samui should have a bit of leeway, but then I guess it's easier to keep tabs and a check on jealousy if it remains across the board. Having said that, midnight be more realistic, or 11 even?

• Like 2

So if you arrive at your favourite bar before 10pm & buy enough drink to last until 5am......would you be ok as long as you do not leave the bar during curfew. Assuming the service of alcohol finishes at the time permitted by the licence or does the licence state that the premises must be cleared by 2am?

.....problem is....it is another possible escape route....

...the cockroaches are scrambling.....

...and they will be taking all they can carry.....

...so much for the innocuous.....gentle request for kindness, understanding or leniency....

• Like 1

Oh please, this is a serious state of affairs an action brought about by greed is not going to give any concessions to the greedy in tourist ghettos. Sorry to the people touring but if you can't enjoy your self without getting smashed, bad luck, or drink and get the girls in the day.

Good luck Thailand

BTW I am in Phuket, went to bar at 6pm left at 9.40 had a great time.

• Like 1

So if you arrive at your favourite bar before 10pm & buy enough drink to last until 5am......would you be ok as long as you do not leave the bar during curfew. Assuming the service of alcohol finishes at the time permitted by the licence or does the licence state that the premises must be cleared by 2am?

The staff would either need to stay at the premise, or go home by 10pm. So there is a good chance that the establishment will just close @ 10pm.

If you stay in your place, its fine. Noodle shops or boiled rice restaurants can stay open, as long as the staff stay at the shop after curfew, he explained.

Unless they want to keep their signs lit or cook for morning sales, what's the point, where are the customers?

I do agree that Phuket, Pats, Samui should have a bit of leeway, but then I guess it's easier to keep tabs and a check on jealousy if it remains across the board. Having said that, midnight be more realistic, or 11 even?

And how is a client supposed to go to and from such establishment?

"Shopkeepers may keep their businesses open past 10pm as long as they do not go outside"

Brilliant! But how will anyone get to the shop ?!

"Up to you" as they say. I'm in bed sleeping after 10pm, so to use another local saying, "Not my problem".

I'm not in charge and wouldn't presume to question the authorities of my host country, temporary or otherwise.

I’m sure the night clubbers are making a bee-line to the nearest noodle or lumpy rice soup shop.

Oh please, this is a serious state of affairs an action brought about by greed is not going to give any concessions to the greedy in tourist ghettos. Sorry to the people touring but if you can't enjoy your self without getting smashed, bad luck, or drink and get the girls in the day.

Good luck Thailand

BTW I am in Phuket, went to bar at 6pm left at 9.40 had a great time.

The most intelligent post on here so far... good job. clap2.gif

• Like 1

"Shopkeepers may keep their businesses open past 10pm as long as they do not go outside"

Brilliant! But how will anyone get to the shop ?!

If this is the intellectual calibre of those that have seized power in this country, I would be quite worried.

If you stay in your place, its fine. Noodle shops or boiled rice restaurants can stay open, as long as the staff stay at the shop after curfew, he explained.

And how is a client supposed to go to and from such establishment?
Exactly, but I think my comment went over your head; never mind.