Unfazed foreign tourists take coup in their stride

Lite Beer

Unfazed foreign tourists take coup in their stride

Bangkok: -- Foreign tourists navigating Bangkok's temples lamented the taming effect of a military coup on the city's rowdy nightlife but otherwise shrugged off any safety fears despite warnings by foreign governments.

As a junta closed its grip on power over the kingdom and soldiers keep watch in the capital, its historic heart was still busy with foreign holiday-makers ambling nonchalantly in Thailand's famed sunshine.

Many were largely unperturbed by Thursday's military overthrow of the civilian government of the "Land of Smiles", where months of escalating political unrest has dealt a heavy blow to its key tourism industry.

"We saw the bars closing - it was weird to see everything closing because it never closes," Israeli student Maayan Sher, 22, said of the military-imposed 10pm to 5am curfew.

Strolling near the city's Grand Palace with two friends on Friday she said: "I didn't feel in any way threatened. We do understand that we are not the target."

Having recently finished military service herself, she said she felt more sympathy than fear for the rank-and-file troops caught up in the political drama.

But her friends admitted they were considering cutting short their stay in the city.

"It’s not because we are scared but because everything is closing and we want to party," said Taluri Dvash, 26.

He had walked over to one of the city's main political protest sites after curfew on Thursday, hoping to witness exciting scenes, only to find disappointingly subdued food stalls serving calm patrons.

Thailand has been rocked by months of deadly political turmoil as protesters demanded the removal of the civilian government, effectively paralysing politics in the kingdom.

Thursday's military takeover - the kingdom's 19th actual or attempted coup since 1932 - saw a crackdown on civil liberties under martial law.

But international flights are still in operation, with those travelling to and from airports among the few exempt from the night curfew.

The Army crackdown has drawn strong international opprobrium and warnings about travelling to the Southeast Asian holiday hotspot.

Locals interviewed by AFP had a broad range of reactions to the coup, but those whose businesses rely on tourism were largely negative.

"Curfew, no election. It is not good in Thailand now," said Amon, a driver of a "tuk tuk" taxi.

Tourist arrivals in the first four months of 2014 were down nearly 5 per cent on a year earlier at 8.6 million amid the political turmoil, according to official figures.

As a result, Thailand's economy shrank 0.6 per cent year-on-year in January-March due to falling consumer confidence and the tourist slump.

China's 1.3 million arrivals from January to April marked an 18 per cent drop, while Hong Kong visitors fell 42 per cent and Japanese tourist numbers were nearly 20 per cent lower.

China recommended visitors "raise their consciousness of danger" and "take stronger security measures" when travelling in the country.

The US embassy in Bangkok has recommended that its citizens "reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand", while Britain warned of a "risk of a violent reaction" to the coup.

A briefing at the US State Department on Thursday took a mildly comedic turn when spokeswoman Jen Psaki was asked what people should do if they had honeymoons, bachelor and bachelorette parties planned in Thailand - the location of the bawdy Hollywood movie "The Hangover: Part II".

Psaki said Americans were being advised not to depart.

"I'd advise any bachelor or bachelorette to consult our website," she added.

But honeymooners Robin and Brandon, who gave only their first names, said they were not overly worried.

"People here take a very calm approach, so if they are not worried then I am not worried. But it is a bit concerning," Robin said during a stroll among souvenir stalls in the Khao San Road tourist area.

The newlyweds, who arrived in the capital Wednesday and were due to fly to the Thai resort island of Samui yesterday, said they had coped with the military-imposed overnight curfew by "just having a much earlier night".

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-25

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Junta Propaganda.

A friend of mine who works in a hotel in Bangkok told me yesterday that from begin of next week most room bookings are cancelled.

Another friend changed his holiday plans and went to Vietnam instead Thailand two days ago

Edited by Mentors
  • Like 2

We have had to cancel a regional conference next week as a result of this. Many were still prepared to travel but the travel advisories from HK and Singapore are so harsh (one wonders why...) nobody from there would come.

Crying shame , we have spent 2 years convincing them to use Bangkok as a regional training centre and then this ! At present , we have another training planned here in a couple of months and I am fighting to keep that as planned for the time being. If that gets cancelled as well, then I think that will be Bangkok ruled out as a conference destination for my organization for a couple of years.

I think a dark few months for tourism and MICE lays ahead...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Junta Propaganda.

A friend of mine who works in a hotel in Bangkok told me yesterday that from begin of next week most room bookings are cancelled.

Another friend changed his holiday plans and went to Vietnam instead Thailand two days ago

Just prior to the news blackout a report on Channel News Asia discussed the effect on tourism and it was said that Bkk hotels were only at 20% capacity.

Unfortunately there are just so many sets of conflicting figures quoted regularly but things can't be good and must get worse.

I have a friend in Khon Kaen who works in a restaurant but from the 2nd day of the curfew they haven't opened as most of the business is evening onwards and her boss has decided it's not worthwhile to open and close again within hours. How many thousands of businesses will be doing the same ?

For her no work means no salary.

• Like 1

"Dr Prayuth Chan-ocha says his patient is in serious condition but it's not life threatening. Visiting hours are only from 1-2pm.

Police and army in meanwhile are rounding up the culprits who caused these conditions to his patient and will be held fully responsible for the bills.

• Like 1

bolllox

i have friends who direct the operations of an International hotel chain in Thailand ..a massive 90% drop in bookings, plus cancelations of pre made bookings are over 60% …this is just the start, and anyone who believes the Army will give back power anytime soon is deluded

Exactly, yesterday a friend came with Austria airlines, only 30 people in the plane....

We have had to cancel a regional conference next week as a result of this. Many were still prepared to travel but the travel advisories from HK and Singapore are so harsh (one wonders why...) nobody from there would come.

Crying shame , we have spent 2 years convincing them to use Bangkok as a regional training centre and then this ! At present , we have another training planned here in a couple of months and I am fighting to keep that as planned for the time being. If that gets cancelled as well, then I think that will be Bangkok ruled out as a conference destination for my organization for a couple of years.

I think a dark few months for tourism and MICE lays ahead...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Right, same thing for us, thanks to Suthep.

Same here in Phuket, a long way from the (perceived) dangers of Bangkok. All Chinese customers have cancelled for tonight, plus one westerner who apologized via email and said that they were aware that there were no problems in Phuket, but they simply didn't want to put up with the 'hassles' of an illegal junta.

Still waiting to see if 2 more western guests will cancel today. The only guests left tonight are Thais....

From what I hear the 4th Annual International Naturist Conference is still going a head with plans for the 6-8 JUne.

I guess they are a bit braver lot...

I just hope you don't get caught with your pants down mate

• Like 2

Just adding my observations: I flew yesterday from Kuala Lumpur to Surat Thani, and the flight was full. There was considerable military presence at URT, but it was unobtrusive and didn't seem to faze anyone.

--paul

The reason why so many official events needs to be cancelled is also, because travel insurances will not work anymore in Thailand under the current situation. It is understandable, that no company wants to risk to put employees, sent on an official trip to Thailand, in danger, not be be insured in case something is happening.

I'm working currently on the assumption, things will get worse (at least for any democratic or legislative framework) before it gets better. The last coupe 8 years ago took more then 1 1/2 years before democratic principles had been restored with some lousy amendments on the constitutions and political wick-work (that consequently steered to the events over the last six months, including this coupe). This current coup leader will not be better and announced already he will take all time needed for the needed reforms in economy, society and politics, what also can mean it might even oversee the end of the natural reign of the current monarch. And then, all cards are back on the table to get shuffled again. Who knows what then will happen.

I am a tourist and I see the military are the best thing to happen after so much corruption with wicked politicians

Thailand is always great and the coup is not stoppin the fun

Last night's party was a night to remember and some of the best fun is during the coup

You should be made aware that this is "successful" coup number 12, there have also been 7 failed coups... so far no coup has made on bit of difference. There simply isn't enough educated, honest, hard working people to form a strong honest stable government.

"There simply isn't enough educated, honest, hard working people to form a strong honest stable government."

Are we still talking about Thailand or is this more of a global observation for most governments that depend on career politicians?

Silvio-Berlusconi-at-a-po-010.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I wonder how many tourists and some expats know that their travel insurance could be void, due to the coup.

How would an expat have travel insurance?

When I used to come here as a tourist years ago I just booked flights and never had insurance. I can't be the only one.

I am a tourist and I see the military are the best thing to happen after so much corruption with wicked politicians

Last night's party was a night to remember and some of the best fun is during the coup

You must be from Uganda and big fan of Idi Amin too.

• Like 1

With hotel occupancy so low have the smarter hotels started offering generous discounts, or have prices remained the same?

Im also wondering about the same. Im going to Bangkok from Chiang Mai in two weeks time to arrange my new passport. Anyone know of a good hotel deal?

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You must be from Uganda and big fan of Idi Amin too.

Demu does have a valid point.

Thailand for a very long time has been a cesspit of corruption from the very top down.

You just need to look at the day to day antics of the so called police to see that. Anything that can even attempt to clean up the mess has to be welcomed, and if a few drunk whoring tourists are inconvenienced, tough.

• Like 1

Thailand - the location of the bawdy Hollywood movie "The Hangover: Part II".

Sigh....Why do I feel like puking when i read this lame byline which seems to appear in every tourism related article about Thailand nowadays.

We saw a fair few tourists (Westerners anyway) and they seemed to be having a real hoot playing Foreign Correspondent on their social media accounts.

With hotel occupancy so low have the smarter hotels started offering generous discounts, or have prices remained the same?

Since it is low season (sorry 'Green Season') anyway, most hotels are already offering low rates. But there is a limit in low rates below which it is better to close up for a few months and tend the garden or upgrade rooms etc. So don't expect to stay in a posh hotel for 200 baht/night :).

• Like 1

bolllox

i have friends who direct the operations of an International hotel chain in Thailand ..a massive 90% drop in bookings, plus cancelations of pre made bookings are over 60% this is just the start, and anyone who believes the Army will give back power anytime soon is deluded

I live here full time and the tourist's I've spoken to in Pattaya are going out earlier. Not much complaining as those I've chatted with accept they are not in charge and things won't change soley for them.

I agree with the higher numbers after chatting with an aquaintance in the hospitality sector. However, my crystal ball is in the shop for repair, so I can't predict about the Army and power being restored to a civil government.

Edited by Benmart

Hopefully this coup might result in the scruffy ill mannered holidaying scratters from the UK going elsewhere for their vacation.

The LOS will be a far better place with no pink skinned, beer bellied, foul mouthed plying their 'wares'.

• Like 1