Unfazed foreign tourists take coup in their stride

Lite Beer

With hotel occupancy so low have the smarter hotels started offering generous discounts, or have prices remained the same?

Thai logic dictates an increase in price to cover the losses.

Come on, no one with even a basic knowledge of economics can be that stupid.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many tourists and some expats know that their travel insurance could be void, due to the coup.

How would an expat have travel insurance?

When I used to come here as a tourist years ago I just booked flights and never had insurance. I can't be the only one.

I'm sure some do but those that have taken it out did because they weren't prepared to take the risk. It's OK until you fall I'll or are badly injured. There have been cases of people stuck in Thai hospitals with rising bills and not enough money who can't go home. It's a pity because in most cases there no real danger.

I don't know how it affects normal medical insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kimamey

bolllox

i have friends who direct the operations of an International hotel chain in Thailand ..a massive 90% drop in bookings, plus cancelations of pre made bookings are over 60% …this is just the start, and anyone who believes the Army will give back power anytime soon is deluded

So now is a good time for people who aren't scared to get some pretty good deals on Bangkok accommodation

I wonder how many tourists and some expats know that their travel insurance could be void, due to the coup.

I am glad you said "could" because many will throw their hands in the air and think they are not covered for anything any more.

Here is the clause on my policy (Underwritten by Allianz Australia) . We will not pay under any circumstances if: 17) your claim Arises from any act of war, whether war is declared or not or from any rebellion, revolution, insurrection or taking of power by the military

I would expect most exclusion clauses with other underwriters to be similarly worded. So if you are in Thailand on this policy and your claim has nothing to do with anything connected to the martial law, then you are still covered.

What you all should be doing is reviewing your own policy and making your own decisions on what is and is not covered. Give your company's customer service line if you are unsure.

From what I hear the 4th Annual International Naturist Conference is still going a head with plans for the 6-8 JUne.

I guess they are a bit braver lot...

I just hope you don't get caught with your pants down mate

I hope you DO get your pants down at an event like this!!!!!

We have had to cancel a regional conference next week as a result of this. Many were still prepared to travel but the travel advisories from HK and Singapore are so harsh (one wonders why...) nobody from there would come.

Crying shame , we have spent 2 years convincing them to use Bangkok as a regional training centre and then this ! At present , we have another training planned here in a couple of months and I am fighting to keep that as planned for the time being. If that gets cancelled as well, then I think that will be Bangkok ruled out as a conference destination for my organization for a couple of years.

I think a dark few months for tourism and MICE lays ahead...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Curfew seems to have been relaxed to 12-4. Next week or later this week???

I have not been effected one iota by the situation.

This is not a central american republic that has been taken over by a couple of ambitious colonels.

Travel warnings are business and risk assessment driven by the "risk averse" generation.

With hotel occupancy so low have the smarter hotels started offering generous discounts, or have prices remained the same?

Thai logic dictates an increase in price to cover the losses.

Come on, no one with even a basic knowledge of economics can be that stupid.

Well, that's Thai logic for you. It has happened before.

bolllox

i have friends who direct the operations of an International hotel chain in Thailand ..a massive 90% drop in bookings, plus cancelations of pre made bookings are over 60% this is just the start, and anyone who believes the Army will give back power anytime soon is deluded

The naturist resort in Pattaya has not had any cancelations, maybe naturist are more seasoned travellers.