Restoring democracy must be main focus of coup leaders

Lite Beer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason why this coup is no different from previous Thai coups?

It's because the people behind the curtains pulling the strings are the same group of old men (some pretty ancient, many ex military) who were behind previous coups, and who are out of touch with the modern world and international norms.

They've tried Democracy several times, they've changed the goalposts several times - only worked for a while for them.

Seems electing the MPs does not get the desired results - the will of the masses cannot be trusted. Perhaps the "Appointed Senate" model might be a better route this time.

• Like 1

If the Military Junta wants to achieve anything in this country, there is on simple recipie: Fire all policeman, up to to top brass and build a new, eficient, competent and honest police.

After all, this coup had become necessary, because the Royal Thai Police had not done its job: Maintain peace and order. That's what the police is here for. But they didn't do anything. As usual, I might ad.

Am I dreaming? Probably, but if we don't have dreams, we won't go anywhere when we wake up.

• Like 1

The Army's goal from the first was to catch incoming weapons to fuel Thaksin's private terrorists. Then to catch the terrorists.

Silly Knee Jerks get bent out of shape about "democracy" while the Bin Laden of Thailand, Thaksin, plans and executes his reign of terror and destruction of Thailand. Thai democracy will be waiting patiently to come back after this madman and his henchmen are controlled. Go get 'em, Army!

This is the most weird typing I think I have seen coming from the Nation. It reads like Thaksin is a cross between a Fairy Godfather and a patron saint. How could The Nation have missed Robert Amsterdam's speech to Reds a few days ago, reported in BKK Post, where he said the monarchy had to be disbanded. No reports of Reds objecting. Conclusion... Reds and Amsterdam work for Thaksin; both groups say same thing about monarchy, so Thaksin's intentions must be crystal clear by now.

How about them apples, Mr. Goody Two Shoes Nation "newspaper"????bah.gif

• Like 1

Well written editorial, though perhaps not xph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.GOH20nhrx_.png without consequences.....

From all I've read in the past months of chaos - future consequences hasn't entered any of the player's thinking - restraint is a valuable learned response.

If I did not agree with the political situation I would not join a mob or get myself put on a list - once detained a person is not only helpless but useless to future participation. But to use the Andy Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" analogy - some people may not be able to restrain themselves. coffee1.gif

Very good article. Only thing I would disagree with is it was not the 2006 coup that started all this, but rather the first steps of lawlessness from Thaksin's thugs when they threatened the courts into backing down in 2001 over the since people's court convicted criminal's ill gotten assets concealment case.

Agree thou the 2006 coup was a poor purging of the system but that is with hindsight now of just how much damage has been inflicted on the country since by not only Thaksin but all parties.

Tend to think this time around especially with the start that has been made in the short time to date that there is a far better chance of the country moving forward. Time only will tell.

Words of wisdom.

• Like 1

The Army's goal from the first was to catch incoming weapons to fuel Thaksin's private terrorists. Then to catch the terrorists.

Silly Knee Jerks get bent out of shape about "democracy" while the Bin Laden of Thailand, Thaksin, plans and executes his reign of terror and destruction of Thailand. Thai democracy will be waiting patiently to come back after this madman and his henchmen are controlled. Go get 'em, Army!

This is the most weird typing I think I have seen coming from the Nation. It reads like Thaksin is a cross between a Fairy Godfather and a patron saint. How could The Nation have missed Robert Amsterdam's speech to Reds a few days ago, reported in BKK Post, where he said the monarchy had to be disbanded. No reports of Reds objecting. Conclusion... Reds and Amsterdam work for Thaksin; both groups say same thing about monarchy, so Thaksin's intentions must be crystal clear by now.

If that didn't hit the nail on the head, you must be hammered.

Forgot to take your morning meds did ya old fella? (Comparing Bin Laden to Thaksin is a tad extreme in any sane person's mind, just sayin...)

Both deserve the same fate shared.

If the Military Junta wants to achieve anything in this country, there is on simple recipie: Fire all policeman, up to to top brass and build a new, eficient, competent and honest police.

After all, this coup had become necessary, because the Royal Thai Police had not done its job: Maintain peace and order. That's what the police is here for. But they didn't do anything. As usual, I might ad.

Am I dreaming? Probably, but if we don't have dreams, we won't go anywhere when we wake up.

You are not dreaming of course, you are trying to justify a madness by appealing to a naive wish. Democracy does not consist in putting the right man in the right position appointed by a group of people that in turn were appointed or promoted by who the hell knows. But of course you wont be able to understand this

A smoke and mirrors article. Everyone with a grain of insight will know that the restoration of democracy is the last thing the junta wants.

A restoration of democracy would just lead back to the same old circle because the establishment are simply incapable of winning popular support.

The end result will probably be that half of the lower house will be appointed and made up of "good people" to appease the wishes of the PDRC. This will mean that both the Senate and the lower house do not have to follow the popular will - Thailand will be a democracy in name only.

The politicians who agree to get elected to this next set-up are basically just agreeing to become actors in a play but not have any real influence. The power will always rest in the hands of the establishment from here on.

Anyone who thinks democracy will be restored is dreaming - the number 1 priority for the coup makers is to avoid a repeat of the last 7-8 years' uncertainty and avoiding democracy altogether is the safest way to achieve this.

Its sad but true.

Edited by Mark Thaiford
  • Like 2

The author of this article is likely aware that Prayuth had already stated at the outset that his goal is indeed to restore democracy through the enactment of reforms before the next election. Nonetheless, it might have been nice for that reference to have been actually included in this editorial. The editorial becomes more entertaining by the absence of it - naturally - but its inclusion would have lent it more balance. It should make sense that judgement be held in abeyance until after the process is completed, rather than at the outset. Already, Prayuth has received the unanimous praise from farmers from all around the country. Not bad for just three days into a coup. So perhaps the writer can wait a little longer and see how things actually pan out. He should be cheering Prayuth on, for if he does indeed accomplish what he has set out to do, the country and everyone in it will be far better served. Prayuth is aware - as this writer is aware - that corrupt abuses of the system overwhelmed it. He surely doesn't need reminding that having a man outside the country directing an administration was profoundly dysfunctional, or perhaps he's already forgotten. Therefore - reform is most definitely needed, and likely even this writer would concede that point. One sentence remains in this editorial, however, that is gratuitous, inflammatory, and completely without substantiation -

" Stakeholders are talking about political reform but reform should not mean changing the ground rules so that the Democrat Party could win an election. "

No they should not, and who says they will be ? Such a suggestion has never even once been brought forward at any reform forum that the PDRC or the Democratic party has ever been privy to. Ever. This is grist for the Pheu Thai/UDD narrative, of course, but it's so flimsy even Khaosod doesn't publish it.

• Like 2

Two years. They keep saying two years. Two years to tighten or rewrite a Charter that will stop midnight legislation and executive abuse. They could hammer out changes in a month, and ratify it, now that they have that power, and let the cards fall where they will after. Nope. Not happening.

They are keeping control until the Big Event no one talks about happens.

sad.png

Edited by FangFerang

Despite of the criticism they get, the army has been doing the best they can to reset the country and the people of Thailand.

The involvement by the army was inevitable. I hope to see a peaceful solution and a real unity. Good luck Thailand.

The author of this article is likely aware that Prayuth had already stated at the outset that his goal is indeed to restore democracy through the enactment of reforms before the next election. Nonetheless, it might have been nice for that reference to have been actually included in this editorial. The editorial becomes more entertaining by the absence of it - naturally - but its inclusion would have lent it more balance. It should make sense that judgement be held in abeyance until after the process is completed, rather than at the outset. Already, Prayuth has received the unanimous praise from farmers from all around the country. Not bad for just three days into a coup. So perhaps the writer can wait a little longer and see how things actually pan out. He should be cheering Prayuth on, for if he does indeed accomplish what he has set out to do, the country and everyone in it will be far better served. Prayuth is aware - as this writer is aware - that corrupt abuses of the system overwhelmed it. He surely doesn't need reminding that having a man outside the country directing an administration was profoundly dysfunctional, or perhaps he's already forgotten. Therefore - reform is most definitely needed, and likely even this writer would concede that point. One sentence remains in this editorial, however, that is gratuitous, inflammatory, and completely without substantiation -

" Stakeholders are talking about political reform but reform should not mean changing the ground rules so that the Democrat Party could win an election. "

No they should not, and who says they will be ? Such a suggestion has never even once been brought forward at any reform forum that the PDRC or the Democratic party has ever been privy to. Ever. This is grist for the Pheu Thai/UDD narrative, of course, but it's so flimsy even Khaosod doesn't publish it.

Scamper...a large number of people expect that political reforms means 'redistricting' so the democrats can win an election. I hope they are wrong, but I suspect that they are correct -- why else not have a single proposed concrete reform in six months? Six months of vague silence. They didn't say it out loud because they knew they would set off a powder keg.

abhisit. First, and only, "significant" whistling.gif political party member released.............................

Edited by fab4