Jellyfish Treatment In Hua Hin

PeaceBlondie

With ten days left to live here, I just got a massive jellyfish sting on my right side, by my waist, and near my right elbow. Really bad. swbailey started a nice thread recently, asking for specific remedies, and didn't get enough definite answers. I tried male urine, but this is so bad and so broad that that didn't help much. 500 mg of Ponstan, 400 mg ibuprofen, and calamine lotion, and half an hour later, while my partner runs to the local pharmacy, it still hurts like mad. He's back now and is trying remedies; I'll go now.

Please, no simple anecdotes like "I saw jellyfish in Texas once" or "I had a mate that got stung, but I don't know what he did."

Mate back from pharmacy in Khao Takiab.

1. Ammonia, applied directly to the wound.

2. Perhaps a cream. The pharmacist gave us 5 grams of "Clinipred" or prednisolone.

Before going to pharmacist, try to have a description of what stung you. Size, shape, colors, etc.

We are warned that we may wish to see doctor, and it may get infected.

In recent months, I had gotten a few brushes with the similar jellyfish (brown or reddishbrown, roughly fist-sized, floating near surface but not above, light circular head of light brown with spots) but they just grazed my skin (hurt like crazy for a few hours). This one, though, is not superficial or minor.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

With ten days left to live here, I just got a massive jellyfish sting on my right side, by my waist, and near my right elbow. Really bad. swbailey started a nice thread recently, asking for specific remedies, and didn't get enough definite answers. I tried male urine, but this is so bad and so broad that that didn't help much. 500 mg of Ponstan, 400 mg ibuprofen, and calamine lotion, and half an hour later, while my partner runs to the local pharmacy, it still hurts like mad. He's back now and is trying remedies; I'll go now.

Please, no simple anecdotes like "I saw jellyfish in Texas once" or "I had a mate that got stung, but I don't know what he did."

Mate back from pharmacy in Khao Takiab.

1. Ammonia, applied directly to the wound.

2. Perhaps a cream. The pharmacist gave us 5 grams of "Clinipred" or prednisolone.

Before going to pharmacist, try to have a description of what stung you. Size, shape, colors, etc.

We are warned that we may wish to see doctor, and it may get infected.

In recent months, I had gotten a few brushes with the similar jellyfish (brown or reddishbrown, roughly fist-sized, floating near surface but not above, light circular head of light brown with spots) but they just grazed my skin (hurt like crazy for a few hours). This one, though, is not superficial or minor.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Hi...I live in Khao Takiab and the best remedy is a Thai plant called "pak boon talay". Your b/f is not native to the area but if he asks around a local will direct him to where it can be found growing wild in Khao Takiab.

You pound the plant into a paste in a pestle (same way as you would make som tam). Then apply the paste to the affected area and wrap the area in gauze bandage (available at any drug store). The plant draws out the poison and provides ready relief. Good luck.

Edited by Boo

:o PB Ajarn David was severly attacked last year...he smothered the wounds with domestic vinegar, shark-like in appearance, lots of antiseptic cream and I think you know he was in good form last time you saw him...you may have different kinds of stings in Changers PB and of course different kinds of remedies...David did not consult a doctor but I saw the wounds days later and there were horrific..infection is always the risk with any wounds here, trust things have improved...just my one bahts worth of advice...take care... :D Dukkha

I’ve been stung many times by jellyfish including the Aussie Blue Bottle and each time I quickly rub the sting area with sand and pour vinegar on the area.

The sand takes most of the stinging cells off the area and the vinegar neutralizes the sting. If the stings are bad I use either Savlon or Dettol antiseptic cream on the area. The irritation can stay a few days especially in the case of a bad Blue Bottle sting.

If you are that worried about infection a visit to the doctor may help ease yuor concerns.

Thanks. The ammonia seemed to cleanse the wound area and draw off or neutralize some of the poison. The bottle is small and handy to keep around. The prednisone cream seemed to work, also.

By six or seven hours, most of the pain had resided. The next day, each injected area peaked like a bad pimple, but never quite burst. Later on the second day, it seeped out a bit, and the ammonia stung when going into the small openings of each pimple. Today is the third day, and in the morning the bumps had subsided considerably, all pain gone. Looks like I won't have an infection. Then again, I'm taking massive doses of antibiotics for my arm (which probably isn't infected in the first place) and have three more broad spectrum antiobiotics on hand.

Didn't go to the doctor. Don't think I'll need to.

The invasion of these brown jellyfish seems sudden and extensive. Yesterday afternoon, we counted over a hundred in a stretch of maybe 300 meters, of every size, almost all brown. Be afraid, be very afraid.

• 1 month later...
Thanks. The ammonia seemed to cleanse the wound area and draw off or neutralize some of the poison. The bottle is small and handy to keep around. The prednisone cream seemed to work, also.

By six or seven hours, most of the pain had resided. The next day, each injected area peaked like a bad pimple, but never quite burst. Later on the second day, it seeped out a bit, and the ammonia stung when going into the small openings of each pimple. Today is the third day, and in the morning the bumps had subsided considerably, all pain gone. Looks like I won't have an infection. Then again, I'm taking massive doses of antibiotics for my arm (which probably isn't infected in the first place) and have three more broad spectrum antiobiotics on hand.

Didn't go to the doctor. Don't think I'll need to.

The invasion of these brown jellyfish seems sudden and extensive. Yesterday afternoon, we counted over a hundred in a stretch of maybe 300 meters, of every size, almost all brown. Be afraid, be very afraid.

ice the sand will only spread the sting

Edited by aussie dollar