Thai rice farmers rejoice after junta head orders immediate cash payment

webfact

Well done! Excellent move, but more than anything, the farmers are finally getting paid! Miltary scores again...

Military takes over and manages to get rid of demonstrations from both sides Military 1 - Thaksin 0.... Military pays Rice Farmers right away Military 2 - Thaksin 0. clap2.gif

You don't think this was planned and orchestrated for effect?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The die-hard Thaksin supporters on here will grasp negatively at anything Prayuth does. One week ago we had martial law. In one week he has rounded up all the suspects, minus a few hard core patriots, and managed to start paying the farmers who most needed the money.

Thaksin must be chewing himself up.

It doesn't take much effort or intelligence go get the farmers paid when you wield absolute power.

Well, Yingluck couldn't manage it before PDRC hit the streets!

• Like 2

Well done! Excellent move, but more than anything, the farmers are finally getting paid! Miltary scores again...

Military takes over and manages to get rid of demonstrations from both sides Military 1 - Thaksin 0.... Military pays Rice Farmers right away Military 2 - Thaksin 0. clap2.gif

My thoughts too. Suthep need an exit, he got one. Stalemate for Yingluck and the caretaker government, they are relieved. Ahbisit is slidng fast into oblivion, he need a re-start point. Taksin is losing support from the farmers, need a quick solution. Economy in a tattered and need an stimulus injection. Coup would have happen after Laksi but not until now. None of the key characters in the complex political mess will be too unhappy with the military intervention especially the PTP as when next election, they will again win; not because they are strong but because the Dem is weak and divided.

PTP led government did not delay paying the rice farmers. It was EC, the dem and its pdrc blocking the payment. Threatening banks if they cooperated with the government to pay rice farmers. According to this report, they have been enough fund to pay them.

They're gone. Finished. Get over it.

The time that I have spent around Thailand's rice farmers has led me to believe they are not as "simple minded" as you portray. It amazes me that if any of you "coup groupies" think they are going to follow them blindly because of one years crop payment are drawing the wrong conclusion. Their major complaint has always been that until someone changes the way that only a few "families" are still allowed to underpay and control the "rice trail" out of Isaan next year will not be any better than the last 100 for them.

Did Thaksin do it??

No he enriched the same families to the expense of the rice farmers and the country!

And also managed to destroy or at least damage Thai rice exports and quality credibility.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Military stops corruption.... Military 3-Thaksin 0

Well, I can dream can't I ?? Actually with limitless power and the well being

of Thailand as the goal, he could accomplish astounding things.......

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

How do you justify writing lies like this to yourself? You know very well PTP ran into difficulties with paying the farmers months before the protests against the corrupt amnesty bill forced them to dissolve parliament.

They were lying about having enough money months before any protest and then cocked up further by not bothering about paying the farmers before dissolving the house. They needed the 2.2.trillion to cover it all up.

Will be interesting to see what comes to light if/when the real books are found and audited.

There is nothing incorrect in what I have written. Yes, there were problems with the budget for it and in making the payment when the govt went into caretaker mode. It was at that point that Suthep stepped in and harassed and threatened the banks and the private sector, eventually bullying them into non-particiapation in the payment. There are WHOLE THREADS devoted to those events, including some lame brains on this forum suggesting that the banks would fail and everyone should rush to withdraw their money.

The govt didn't handle the payment/budget well and it was a deeply flawed policy but let's be honest...had it not been for Suthep and his bully boy tactics , the faremrs would have been paid 5 months ago or before

What you wrote was absolutely incorrect. You wrote, "it was the old guard that blocked the payment in the first place."

You know that Yingluck failed to pay the farmers for months before PDRC hit the streets, Yingluck failed to provide for the farmers when she dissolved parliament, and that her subsequent attempts were clearly illegal. Yet you continue with lies.

You know, it's one thing to disagree politically, and support yourself with reasoned arguments. But you have sunk to a new low with your recent shameful prevarications. Although I didn't always agree with your posts, I read them with interest. Now you've proven yourself no better than an odious troll.

Sucks to be you, man. Sucks to be you.

It appears you have 3 methods: personal attack. semantics games, accusation of trolling. In respect of the semantcs, SUTHEP blocked the payment by his harassing actions at the various banks. A well-known fact. Not in dispute. He is proud of it. Yingluck was at fault for not arranging the payment prior to going into caretaker mode. There is nothing inaccurate in my post despite how much it appears to get up your nose. Your problem.

• Like 1

Military stops corruption.... Military 3-Thaksin 0

Well, I can dream can't I ?? Actually with limitless power and the well being

of Thailand as the goal, he could accomplish astounding things.......

Really have to open your eyes much wider. Start by reading what happen the most recent anti mine protest in Loei and who are behind the thuggery and corruption.

I wonder how many farming families will still be in debt to loan sharks even after this payment.

Perhaps they should start a class action suit against Thaksin and the PTP.

Thaksin acts, and PTP acts!

I wonder how many farming families will still be in debt to loan sharks even after this payment.

Perhaps they should start a class action suit against Thaksin and the PTP.

Thaksin thinks, and PTP acts!

...................."Perhaps they should start a class action suit against Thaksin and the PTP.".............................

Sorry Piichai, but that won't work..............Neither Thaksin or the PTP have any class. biggrin.png

• Like 2

My thoughts too. Suthep need an exit, he got one. Stalemate for Yingluck and the caretaker government, they are relieved. Ahbisit is slidng fast into oblivion, he need a re-start point. Taksin is losing support from the farmers, need a quick solution. Economy in a tattered and need an stimulus injection. Coup would have happen after Laksi but not until now. None of the key characters in the complex political mess will be too unhappy with the military intervention especially the PTP as when next election, they will again win; not because they are strong but because the Dem is weak and divided.

Now why am I not surprised by these conspiracy theories based on an irrational believe in the good of the Thaksin controlled Yingluck government?

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

Well there is always somebody throwing spanners in the works

@ Prbkk,

It appears you have 3 methods: personal attack. semantics games, accusation of trolling. In respect of the semantcs, SUTHEP blocked the payment by his harassing actions at the various banks. A well-known fact. Not in dispute. He is proud of it. Yingluck was at fault for not arranging the payment prior to going into caretaker mode. There is nothing inaccurate in my post despite how much it appears to get up your nose. Your problem.

It appears that what you are saying is that if Yingluck had done the right thing and arranged the payment, before the government went into caretaker mode, then nothing Suthep did regarding the payment to the farmers would have mattered. clap2.gif

• Like 1

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

My understanding is that when they had caretaker status, they were not able to borrow money as the government of Thailand. The army, however, can simply order banks to provide the loans necessary for the payments.

And the months they had before that?

they were prevented from doing so by political opposition.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

@ Prbkk,

It appears that what you are saying is that if Yingluck had done the right thing and arranged the payment, before the government went into caretaker mode, then nothing Suthep did regarding the payment to the farmers would have mattered. clap2.gif

Incredible heay. It is like my parents warning me (me being the PTP) 20 times not to swallow cyanide (IMF, World Bank and Finance ministry warning over rice scheme). Then when I do swallow cyanide against my parents warning I lie to my parents that I didn't. (The commerce minister and deputy commerce minister lying to the voters). Upon convulsions (house dissolution) my parents call the doctor. The doctor comes (EC and Banks) and despite his best efforts the patient dies (rice payments)

According to him it is not my fault. It is the doctors fault.

That is PTP logic right there!

BANGKOK: -- Commercial and state banks yesterday attributed legal issue as main reason to not enter the first 20-billion baht bridging loan auction.

Bangkok Bank president Kosit Punpiumrat says that the bank would not be joining the loan auction to raise fund for the government’s rice-pledging scheme.

He said the reasons behind the bank’s decision are that the loan issue is the heart of public interests at the moment and that it is still not very clear in the aspect of legality so the bank must consider the participation carefully.

Edited by djjamie

My understanding is that when they had caretaker status, they were not able to borrow money as the government of Thailand. The army, however, can simply order banks to provide the loans necessary for the payments.

And the months they had before that?

I think you're wasting your time with died-in-the-wool PTP acolytes.

All we get is that it was all Suthep's fault which just allows them to ignore the real culprits - PTP.

It's a dishonest strategy - just choose a fall guy that you hate.

How do you justify writing lies like this to yourself? You know very well PTP ran into difficulties with paying the farmers months before the protests against the corrupt amnesty bill forced them to dissolve parliament.

They were lying about having enough money months before any protest and then cocked up further by not bothering about paying the farmers before dissolving the house. They needed the 2.2.trillion to cover it all up.

Will be interesting to see what comes to light if/when the real books are found and audited.

There is nothing incorrect in what I have written. Yes, there were problems with the budget for it and in making the payment when the govt went into caretaker mode. It was at that point that Suthep stepped in and harassed and threatened the banks and the private sector, eventually bullying them into non-particiapation in the payment. There are WHOLE THREADS devoted to those events, including some lame brains on this forum suggesting that the banks would fail and everyone should rush to withdraw their money.

The govt didn't handle the payment/budget well and it was a deeply flawed policy but let's be honest...had it not been for Suthep and his bully boy tactics , the faremrs would have been paid 5 months ago or before

What you wrote was absolutely incorrect. You wrote, "it was the old guard that blocked the payment in the first place."

You know that Yingluck failed to pay the farmers for months before PDRC hit the streets, Yingluck failed to provide for the farmers when she dissolved parliament, and that her subsequent attempts were clearly illegal. Yet you continue with lies.

You know, it's one thing to disagree politically, and support yourself with reasoned arguments. But you have sunk to a new low with your recent shameful prevarications. Although I didn't always agree with your posts, I read them with interest. Now you've proven yourself no better than an odious troll.

Sucks to be you, man. Sucks to be you.

Oh, you're just being petulant. Suthep didn't "block" anything. Use his "bully pulpet"? Sure. Like all politicians - to the extent their position in the public eye permits (which PTP depradations gave him in such unending abundance). But he had no administrative authority over the banks. They felt the pressure and made their own decisions. He "blocked" nothing. Stop rationalizing and mindlessly parrotting the big red lie.

• Like 2

February thread..

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

He said the caretaker government continued with its attempt to secure loans from banks in its bid to pay farmers.

He said earlier attempt to pressure both the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives failed when it was strongly opposed by the nank’s union.

He said that the government then turned to Government Savings Bank.

He said it was again protested by the bank’s employees after they considered the bank’s liquidity could be jeopardized.

“Now it is trying to get the children’s money to support the rice scheme. But this is not successful when bank employee alerted the PDRC and invite us to shut the bank,” he said.

He also said that now there is possibility that the government is looking to Krung Thai Bank for money and there is strong potential that the banks executive would do so, citing close connection with the government.

He then warned the state bank that it would face shutdown if it lends to the government through whatever channel be it is a loan auction.

Commercial banks are also warned of any channel to extend rice loan to the caretaker government, possibly this week, with threat that they be shut down by protesters.

Another key PDRC leader also urged all protesters who have money in any bank to withdraw their money if their banks provide loans to the government.

The Public Debt Management Office invited financial institutions to hear terms on the bridging loan auction today after the first round failed with no bidders.

The loan in the second round auction will be doubled to 40 billion baht.

Source: http://englishnews.t...ans-government/

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-03

• Like 1

The die-hard Thaksin supporters on here will grasp negatively at anything Prayuth does. One week ago we had martial law. In one week he has rounded up all the suspects, minus a few hard core patriots, and managed to start paying the farmers who most needed the money.

Thaksin must be chewing himself up.

It doesn't take much effort or intelligence go get the farmers paid when you wield absolute power.

It doesn't take much effort or intelligence

It obviously took more intelligence than Yingluck got.

The Thai Military Bank won't get such orders.

Since you phrase your reply as a statement, could you please explain what you mean here?

. Probably just meant that the military bank won't be asked to contribute funds to help pay the farmers. That's all.

February thread..

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

He said the caretaker government continued with its attempt to secure loans from banks in its bid to pay farmers.

He said earlier attempt to pressure both the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives failed when it was strongly opposed by the nank’s union.

He said that the government then turned to Government Savings Bank.

He said it was again protested by the bank’s employees after they considered the bank’s liquidity could be jeopardized.

“Now it is trying to get the children’s money to support the rice scheme. But this is not successful when bank employee alerted the PDRC and invite us to shut the bank,” he said.

He also said that now there is possibility that the government is looking to Krung Thai Bank for money and there is strong potential that the banks executive would do so, citing close connection with the government.

He then warned the state bank that it would face shutdown if it lends to the government through whatever channel be it is a loan auction.

Commercial banks are also warned of any channel to extend rice loan to the caretaker government, possibly this week, with threat that they be shut down by protesters.

Another key PDRC leader also urged all protesters who have money in any bank to withdraw their money if their banks provide loans to the government.

The Public Debt Management Office invited financial institutions to hear terms on the bridging loan auction today after the first round failed with no bidders.

The loan in the second round auction will be doubled to 40 billion baht.

Source: http://englishnews.t...ans-government/

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-03

More disinformation. Nothing wrong with the above article but everything wrong in using it as a stick to wallop your hated Suthep.

None of the above would have happened if PTP had managed the scheme honestly and competently. They didn't provide the funds before they resigned. They were refusing to even issue credible figures of in-and-out funds and the amount of rice in storage.

You just continue the blame deflecting game but it's not working. PTP screwed up big time, the rest is incidental.

• Like 2

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

This is most likely true. Many on this forum argued against the care taker paying the farmers. Many people sought ways to block the care taker government from paying the farmers. Now the general does it, and everyone is happy.

Too bad they have only till 10 pm tonight to spent it in bars.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yessir, that's right, thousands of poor rice farmers who have been struggling financially for many months will all of a sudden rush to the nearest karaoke bar and piss it away.rolleyes.gif

Reality, there will be many household/village parties in appreciation of this money finally getting to the needy rice producers..

Well done Prayuth!!

Yes good on army, but kalbo is not wrong . Money will be pissed away by many in a matter of days and many bills and loans will go unpaid.

I can also see a rush of new pick up buyers, as many simply can not manage large sums of money nor have the ability to think about tomorrow

Edited by Pralaad