Thai rice farmers rejoice after junta head orders immediate cash payment

webfact

Thank goodness the uneducated farmers don't have the sense to realize that in general the ex gov were blocked at every turn.

It was all part of the process leading to where we are now.

Whatever the case happy to see they are getting their payments, enjoy!

Perhaps if they were no so "uneducated" as you so crudely put it, they would not have been conned into voting these cheating criminals into power, and not been ripped off by them via the rice pledging scam.

And you are correct, it was all part of the process leading to where we are now. It was one off the bigger nails the greedy and scheming PTP drove into their own coffin.

So nice of you to be happy about them finally being paid up, I am sure they will appreciate your thoughts. clap2.gif

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder how many farming families will still be in debt to loan sharks even after this payment.

many loansharks are a proxy setup by Thaksin's regime. 2%/day repayments ... and different settings from the loansharks we know from before. They eventually will be rounded up too now.

the loansharks have been around for more than 100 years. It's simply pathetic to try to blame Thaksin for that, as well as being profoundly dishonest

Is there some stupendous prize to be the last one defending the now replaced Thaksin group ????

• Like 2

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

My understanding is that when they had caretaker status, they were not able to borrow money as the government of Thailand. The army, however, can simply order banks to provide the loans necessary for the payments.

And what is your understanding on why they couldn't pay for 3 months before they had caretaker status? Or why they didn't ensure suitable provision had been made before dissolving parliament?

The farmers and the north will never forgive the people who took away their right to vote and their democratically elected governments over the past 10 years!

I'm glad to see the farmers paid albeit by default but anyone who thinks that the reds are a spent force are living in a fools paradise!

The next election will prove me right

Watch this space!

• Like 1

Thank goodness the uneducated farmers don't have the sense to realize that in general the ex gov were blocked at every turn.

It was all part of the process leading to where we are now.

Whatever the case happy to see they are getting their payments, enjoy!

Some of them may have been better educated than you, d'you think you're better than them?

The farmers and the north will never forgive the people who took away their right to vote and their democratically elected governments over the past 10 years!

I'm glad to see the farmers paid albeit by default but anyone who thinks that the reds are a spent force are living in a fools paradise!

The next election will prove me right

Watch this space!

Your nicname suits you well.

• Like 2

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

ACtually it was the Yingluck government which had put all RPPS related payments into a separate (non-)revolving fund outside parliamentary scrutiny. With the dissolution of the House the caretaker government didn't have the legal power to accept new obligations which would have to be honered by a new government. That's why the caretaker government had to ask the E.C. for permission.

Now if only the Yingluck government had included the RPPS related costs/benefits in the NationalBudget nothing would have been delayed. Of course that's assuming the RPPS had been realistically budgetted.

Hi Onkle! What is RPPS?

I got tired of typing "Rice Price Pledging Scheme" wink.png

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

My understanding is that when they had caretaker status, they were not able to borrow money as the government of Thailand. The army, however, can simply order banks to provide the loans necessary for the payments.

The Thai Military Bank won't get such orders.

Since you phrase your reply as a statement, could you please explain what you mean here?

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

ACtually it was the Yingluck government which had put all RPPS related payments into a separate (non-)revolving fund outside parliamentary scrutiny. With the dissolution of the House the caretaker government didn't have the legal power to accept new obligations which would have to be honered by a new government. That's why the caretaker government had to ask the E.C. for permission.

Now if only the Yingluck government had included the RPPS related costs/benefits in the NationalBudget nothing would have been delayed. Of course that's assuming the RPPS had been realistically budgetted.

Hi Onkle! What is RPPS?

I got tired of typing "Rice Price Pledging Scheme" wink.png

Thank you!

PTP led government did not delay paying the rice farmers. It was EC who tried to bargain with the government - delay election or no payment, and the dem and its pdrc blocking the payments. Threatened banks not to cooperate with the government to pay rice farmers. According to this report, they have been enough funds to pay them and other avenues that funds were available.

Yingluck failed to pay the farmers before PDRC hit the streets, and Yingluck failed to provide for the farmers when she dissolved parliament.

It's Yingluck's fault !

So 40 million baht will be paid from the government coffers, and an additional 50 billion baht will be loaned by banks which have guns pointed to their heads? Which banks are these and what do their shareholders and customers think of having to forcibly loan the government this money? Why doesn't the junta order DSI to trace the original money that was stolen and force politicians involved to pay back the money?

I think that is likely to take quite some time, so it's not in the best interests of the farmers who need the money now; however, I have no doubt that once the auditors have been in and unexplained payments are identified to people all over the place, no doubt those people will have their assets sequestered...!!

Finally, Thailand is led by a person with a brain!

If anyone still believes that the coup was a bad thing should think twice now.

The farmers and fields are the blood, the livelyhood of this country - how could any of those crooked politicians think they could get away with not paying their own HARD WORKING (and not HiSo shopping, selfie-loving) folks?

Go ahead General Prayut - I salute you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 2

Well done! Excellent move, but more than anything, the farmers are finally getting paid! Miltary scores again...

Military takes over and manages to get rid of demonstrations from both sides Military 1 - Thaksin 0.... Military pays Rice Farmers right away Military 2 - Thaksin 0. clap2.gif

You forgot to mention they got rid of him in the first place, I make it 3-0

Mrs is in touch with a farmers son in Singburi who is also a reporter for local radio and newspaper.

He has compiled numbers of farmers and how much they are owed in the Singburi province divided up by ampour and he has it down to the last baht.

For instance in the InBuri Ampour there are 857 farmers who are owed a total of 156,973,494 B

Total for the small province of Singburi is 7936 farmers who are owed 899 million.

It would seem this will be paid out in more than one lot with the first comprising 2574 farmers paid a total of 380 million an average of 147,630 each.

There is an item on Thai PBS TV on this right now.

This will be a huge injection of money into a small province.

Go the general

In time to come, the farmers will not remember or care who paid them the money that they are owed. All they will remember is that it was PTP's scheme.

It would seem you Reds don't think very highly of the farmers.

I wonder how many farming families will still be in debt to loan sharks even after this payment.

Perhaps they should start a class action suit against Thaksin and the PTP.

Thaksin acts, and PTP acts!

Perhaps they should start a class action suit against Thaksin and the PTP.

Thaksin thinks, and PTP acts!

Edited by Piichai

PTP led government did not delay paying the rice farmers. It was EC who tried to bargain with the government - delay election or no payment, and the dem and its pdrc blocking the payments. Threatened banks not to cooperate with the government to pay rice farmers. According to this report, they have been enough funds to pay them and other avenues that funds were available.

More lies and distortions