Thai rice farmers rejoice after junta head orders immediate cash payment

webfact

But,

paying out the farmers will derail the budget, no?

paying out the farmers is vote buying, no?

paying out the farmers will cause inflation, no?

paying out the farmers is against the constitution, no?

paying out the farmers will cause banks to go broke, no?

paying out the farmers means stealing tax payers' money, and giving it to euh farmers, no?

I am not an expert on this, but that's what I was told.

Over and over again.

By the yellow press and most posters on this forum.

• Like 2

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*Lovely lovely coup.

So they've now given the farmers what they've been blocking for months. Gee, the farmers are so grateful!

Lovely lovely suspension of democracy.

Probably the Generals can pay for these farmers to go to the nearby brothels too - or would that be "unethical". As we know, "unethical" stuff is very "bad" - according to the fountainhead of ethics, Mr Suthep - unless it concerns land ownership or mangoes (or, well anything else, really).

*Lovely lovely coup.

Too bad they have only till 10 pm tonight to spent it in bars.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thank god you are so unique, now go back and crawl under the slimy rock from where you came.

But,

paying out the farmers means stealing tax payers' money, and giving it to euh farmers, no?

Over and over again.

Duh! the money was owed to then how could that be any of the things above? Can you show me where you wwere told over and over again?

PTP led government did not delay paying the rice farmers. It was EC who tried to bargain with the government - delay election or no payment, and the dem and its pdrc blocking the payments. Threatened banks not to cooperate with the government to pay rice farmers. According to this report, they have been enough funds to pay them and other avenues that funds were available.

I never, ever, ever, ever get sick of reminding people why the rice payments were delayed.

13th of September 2013 - The cabinet approved a total budget of 270 billion baht for the government’s rice pledging scheme, Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Puangraj. They said they had the money. They said this budget would suffice until February, 2014. They lied.

16th of September - THE FINANCE MINISTRY’s sub-committee assessing the cost of the rice pledging scheme fears the scheme will break budget. The PTP were warned.

8th of October - The World Bank said that the rice pledging scheme had proven to be the most costly and would ring up a bill of 115 billion to 150 billion baht per harvest. The reply - Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan today categorically dismissed the World Bank’s estimate that the Thai government will incur up to 400 billion baht in losses from the rice pledging scheme for two harvests. He went on to say the Finance Ministry should help secure more funding to meet the 270 billion baht target already approved by the cabinet to be used for the 2013-14 harvests. They said they had the money. They lied.

12th November 2013 - IMF called on Thailand to ditch rice support scheme. The PTP said no. The PTP were warned.

9th of Decmeber 2013 - House dissolved.

You can see fault with the EC for following the rule of law and the banks because they do not want to solicit loans because of legality concerns and irrespective of whether Suthep threatened the banks or not is inconsequential because the banks still didn't want to undermine the confidence of their investors. Banks where justified too. Remember the GSB loan and the damage it did to their reputation and finical stability? Smart move by the banks. You however cannot see fault with the PTP after they were warned 3 times in the 3 months leading up to dissolution that they would run out of money. They told the public numerous times they did have the money for the season up to February, 2014 which was a lie. And the cherry on the cake is the Deputy PM denouncing the World Bank, demanding to know where they got the figures while saying they were wrong and the PTP were right.

Guess what…..The PTP were wrong!

Great post! Just to add: PTP had relied on the 2TB "infrastructure" loan (off the normal budget process) to pay the outstanding rice debts.

But,

Over and over again.

Duh! the money was owed to then how could that be any of the things above? Can you show me where you wwere told over and over again?

Congratulations, you saw through my cunning lies.

But just for argument's sake, if my claims were true, what would be your answer?

(my adaptation of "the universe is banana shaped by Monty Python in King Arthur)

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

Jeez, stop rewriting history!!!! There are some excellent posts in this thread showing the history. Can you read? You're going too far with that stupid comment!

• Like 1

Too bad they have only till 10 pm tonight to spent it in bars.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yessir, that's right, thousands of poor rice farmers who have been struggling financially for many months will all of a sudden rush to the nearest karaoke bar and piss it away.rolleyes.gif

Reality, there will be many household/village parties in appreciation of this money finally getting to the needy rice producers..

Well done Prayuth!!

Yes good on army, but kalbo is not wrong . Money will be pissed away by many in a matter of days and many bills and loans will go unpaid.

I can also see a rush of new pick up buyers, as many simply can not manage large sums of money nor have the ability to think about tomorrow

The inability to handle money or think about tomorrow is not limited to Thai rice farmers, just have a look sometime at the low-life foreigners hanging about the bars etc in various locals in Thailand.

• Like 1

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

it's a pity ... people like you exist

• Like 1

PTP led government did not delay paying the rice farmers. It was EC who tried to bargain with the government - delay election or no payment, and the dem and its pdrc blocking the payments. Threatened banks not to cooperate with the government to pay rice farmers. According to this report, they have been enough funds to pay them and other avenues that funds were available.

I never, ever, ever, ever get sick of reminding people why the rice payments were delayed.

13th of September 2013 - The cabinet approved a total budget of 270 billion baht for the governments rice pledging scheme, Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Puangraj. They said they had the money. They said this budget would suffice until February, 2014. They lied.

16th of September - THE FINANCE MINISTRYs sub-committee assessing the cost of the rice pledging scheme fears the scheme will break budget. The PTP were warned.

8th of October - The World Bank said that the rice pledging scheme had proven to be the most costly and would ring up a bill of 115 billion to 150 billion baht per harvest. The reply - Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan today categorically dismissed the World Banks estimate that the Thai government will incur up to 400 billion baht in losses from the rice pledging scheme for two harvests. He went on to say the Finance Ministry should help secure more funding to meet the 270 billion baht target already approved by the cabinet to be used for the 2013-14 harvests. They said they had the money. They lied.

12th November 2013 - IMF called on Thailand to ditch rice support scheme. The PTP said no. The PTP were warned.

You can see fault with the EC for following the rule of law and the banks because they do not want to solicit loans because of legality concerns and irrespective of whether Suthep threatened the banks or not is inconsequential because the banks still didn't want to undermine the confidence of their investors. Banks where justified too. Remember the GSB loan and the damage it did to their reputation and finical stability? Smart move by the banks. You however cannot see fault with the PTP after they were warned 3 times in the 3 months leading up to dissolution that they would run out of money. They told the public numerous times they did have the money for the season up to February, 2014 which was a lie. And the cherry on the cake is the Deputy PM denouncing the World Bank, demanding to know where they got the figures while saying they were wrong and the PTP were right.

Guess what..The PTP were wrong!

Great post! Just to add: PTP had relied on the 2TB "infrastructure" loan (off the normal budget process) to pay the outstanding rice debts.

Have the IMF and the world bank changed their opinions recently? Have they declared that paying out, is OK now?

What has changed in the "purely financial" arguments of the banks? It is safe now, why will the banks not loose their solvability now ?

As for the anti election commission, don't bother to explain their turnaround.

13th of September 2013 - The cabinet approved a total budget of 270 billion baht for the governments rice pledging scheme, Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Puangraj. They said they had the money. They said this budget would suffice until February, 2014. They lied.

16th of September - THE FINANCE MINISTRYs sub-committee assessing the cost of the rice pledging scheme fears the scheme will break budget. The PTP were warned.

8th of October - The World Bank said that the rice pledging scheme had proven to be the most costly and would ring up a bill of 115 billion to 150 billion baht per harvest. The reply - Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan today categorically dismissed the World Banks estimate that the Thai government will incur up to 400 billion baht in losses from the rice pledging scheme for two harvests. He went on to say the Finance Ministry should help secure more funding to meet the 270 billion baht target already approved by the cabinet to be used for the 2013-14 harvests. They said they had the money. They lied.

Have the IMF and the world bank changed their opinions recently? Have they declared that paying out, is OK now?

What has changed in the "purely financial" arguments of the banks? It is safe now, why will the banks not loose their solvability now ?

I think the scheme has to change for future crops. But are you suggesting they should withhold payments already committed? As for your last comment I suspect it may breach the TVF rules.

I think you mean have the IMF and World Bank hid their embarrassment yet for believing what these liars told them!!!

If you don't keep up with the news I think that you should refrain from commenting on this topic. Posters have pointed out so many times now why this government could not tap the banks, but it seems that your brain is incapable of absorbing facts.

I am not talking about "recently" or even "now". I am talking about before. Check the dates. I even added links!

Farmers have been paid.

Do you have an issue with that?

Why would the IMF or World Bank feel embarrassed ? its not their job to work out lies from facts only advise. If a country has to go cap in hand to them for a loan they are only too happy to oblige.

Coincidently the current relaxation of laws allows the payment to happen, which is well overdue and has to be paid.

For now there are no restrictions on what can be done or who can be paid for what, no parties blocking anything no budgets, no multiple bodies to stand in the way... in short they can do what they like which is good for the farmers.

Edited by englishoak

Lovely lovely coup.

Oh, so right now, after the government has been blocked from doing anything for months -- the army has paid the farmers and will get the credit.

Oh grovel grovel, love the army that has come to the farmers' assistance.

So much bullshit here in Thailand - some of it could be put to good use in fertilisising the fields.

Lovely lovely coup.

I am not talking about "recently" or even "now". I am talking about before. Check the dates. I even added links!

Farmers have been paid.

Good to know that farmers have been paid - but do you mean today? I wouldn't expect details like what their names are or how much, but if you could at let let us know in which province(s) they were paid today - and where you got that information - that would go some way to alleviating any lingering doubts that the army's announcements carry as much weight as Thaksin's (paraphrasing) 'everyone will be rich in 6 months' or Chalerm's several pronouncements of eradication of this that or the other social ill within a ridiculous timeframe.

I think you mean have the IMF and World Bank hid their embarrassment yet for believing what these liars told them!!!

If you don't keep up with the news I think that you should refrain from commenting on this topic. Posters have pointed out so many times now why this government could not tap the banks, but it seems that your brain is incapable of absorbing facts.

What did those liars (your words, but I do not disagree) tell the IMF & World Bank?

And please explain what has changed, why are the payments possible now, but not under the previous government?

Farmers have been paid.

Lovely lovely coup.

Everyone knows that farmers would have been paid before if the Yingluck government hadn't been conned into surrendering power and holding elections in February. They won't fall for that con job in future.

Lovely lovely coup.

Farmers have been paid.

Contrarily to certain others, I have NO ISSUE with the farmers being paid, and paid well.

However, I DO HAVE AN ISSUE with some people delaying the payment for so long, and now pretending that they come to the rescue of the farmers.

How do you justify writing lies like this to yourself? You know very well PTP ran into difficulties with paying the farmers months before the protests against the corrupt amnesty bill forced them to dissolve parliament.

They were lying about having enough money months before any protest and then cocked up further by not bothering about paying the farmers before dissolving the house. They needed the 2.2.trillion to cover it all up.

Will be interesting to see what comes to light if/when the real books are found and audited.

Agree 100%!

I can't wait to hear what happened to another one of the Gov't schemes, namely the one involving the refunding of the excise tax for first time car buyers. My Mrs. thinks she's going to get it back, but it's been more than a year now and she has yet to see a single baht, let alone 110K+ (I've written it off).

She's holding out hope, but I can see the frustration building in her eyes... going to be a lot of PO'd people if the money for that one isn't returned (since after all, they've already paid it).

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

what is so strange?

The PTP did not have dictatorial powers

and 29 others gave you a "Like" for your post?facepalm.gif

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

Simple, the establishment dictate to the banks and the private sector and made it impossible for the government to receive the loans to pay them. The Junta are simply paying them the money they stopped the government from getting. Nothing amazing about this. If the government had the same powers "as it should have" they would have been paid of ages ago. Until these people release their grip on power than i am afraid all governments are bound to fail.

And nothing to do with the original funds being diverted of course. Jeez, you guys don't do yourselves any favours. Give it a rest already!

what is so strange?

The PTP did not have dictatorial powers

and 29 others gave you a "Like" for your post?facepalm.gif

Exactly just what i wrote. some people are so naive.