Thai rice farmers rejoice after junta head orders immediate cash payment

webfact

And they say democracy rules!!

In some cases, dictatorship is better than democracy.

It get thing done.

It get thing moving.

It stop people fighting.

It give people harmony.

It make farmer rich.

It save lives.

... The list goes on.

It certainly works here, and I don't see junta as dictatorship but as a desperate correction that the Thai people needed.

This is part of how things work here in Thailand and part of why I like to live here.

• Like 1

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No doubt the farmers will be thirsty for more mistreatment by Thaksin's cronies at the next elections and will sell their votes for 300 baht each. They'll believe the Red Shirts who will tell them that the problems were caused by Suthep.

"Bad Sutherp!! Bad Democrats! Bad ammart! But Democracy-loving Thaksin loves you! Vote for him!" ...

"Yes, he does love us. He's one of us. Remember how to came to visit us 12 years ago? He always has our interests at heart. Yes, we'll vote for him. Give me the 300 baht first, please." ...

"See? Thaksin loves you. He's giving all of you farmers 300 baht each to help you." ...

"Yes, you're right. He's giving us money to help us because he loves us."

Hopefully, there will soon be education reforms.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Like 2

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

My understanding is that when they had caretaker status, they were not able to borrow money as the government of Thailand. The army, however, can simply order banks to provide the loans necessary for the payments.

Let's go back to the fundamentals of this scheme at inception. According to the genius in Dubai, not only would this scheme make a profit, but the rest of the world rice market would follow. Well, guess what. Even 3 months before the dissolution of parliament, the scheme was at the end of the cookie jar and no funds were available. It is true that the PTP could not raise NEW loans after parliament's dissolution. But, if the rice farmers are as important as PTP like to tell them, then why didn't they arrange the necessary loans prior to dissolution?

• Like 1

Playing the "blame game" is looking backwards. The General is moving forward for the benefit of people, with the support of the King.

Let the new junta sort out the problems of who did what and when. There is no benefit to Thai people in farangs speculating (because they can) about who to blame.

Move on folks, it should no longer be your concern.

Thai people have much admiration and devotion to their King, who has always shown his dedication to the people by his example.

And may Thai people find the happiness they want.

Long Live the King!

PTP led government did not delay paying the rice farmers. It was EC, the dem and its pdrc blocking the payment. Threatening banks if they cooperated with the government to pay rice farmers. According to this report, they have been enough fund to pay them.

And to the victor the spoils it would appear?

No one had to threaten the banks. They only had to go through due process with their Risk Committee's realising that it would have been illegal to do as the government was asking.

This is a fundamental problem with all Thaksin political gangs of whatever brand, and some others (Banharn Chaiyuth etc), they seem to think that election as a government means they can break whatever rule they want. This is clearly a problem for big chunks of Thai society in general, but I find it refreshing that large numbers (from my own direct experience) are now saying that approach is no longer acceptable.

Playing the "blame game" is looking backwards. The General is moving forward for the benefit of people, with the support of the King.

Let the new junta sort out the problems of who did what and when. There is no benefit to Thai people in farangs speculating (because they can) about who to blame.

Move on folks, it should no longer be your concern.

Thai people have much admiration and devotion to their King, who has always shown his dedication to the people by his example.

And may Thai people find the happiness they want.

Long Live the King!

Was about time, wasn't it?

As many thieves as it seems to have been in all of the various government branches, I have a feeling that probably many were complacent in their trying to hide ill gotten funds and it will not be hard to find. Once caught, the singing will start until the choir is heard all over Thailand.

Now is the time to invest in some not for profit prisons, as many are going to needed.

• Like 1

It should not be forgotten that there are law suites pending against the Government and by extension against the country by the farmers claiming interest that they have had to pay on money borrowed while waiting for their payment for the rice they have pledged.

These law suites were started with the money that was donated to Suthep to help the farmers.

He gave the money collected to farmers leaders who, on his suggestion, took out the action against the Govt.

These law suites will continue regardless of the general taking charge and I suspect that the farmers will have an excellent chance of winning.

And that is bad how? If they have a legitimate gripe, then let them pursue their legal rights. And if any one wants to donate funds to help, what is wrong with that. Are half the people on this forum from dictatorial regimes and command-style economies? Farmers have the same rights as anyone else to pursue their legal rights, and governments, like any debtor, has to cough up if they are found at fault. As a taxpayer, I don't like any government exposing taxpayers to law suits, but that doesn't mean they are exempt.

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

How do you justify writing lies like this to yourself? You know very well PTP ran into difficulties with paying the farmers months before the protests against the corrupt amnesty bill forced them to dissolve parliament.

They were lying about having enough money months before any protest and then cocked up further by not bothering about paying the farmers before dissolving the house. They needed the 2.2.trillion to cover it all up.

Will be interesting to see what comes to light if/when the real books are found and audited.

There is nothing incorrect in what I have written. Yes, there were problems with the budget for it and in making the payment when the govt went into caretaker mode. It was at that point that Suthep stepped in and harassed and threatened the banks and the private sector, eventually bullying them into non-particiapation in the payment. There are WHOLE THREADS devoted to those events, including some lame brains on this forum suggesting that the banks would fail and everyone should rush to withdraw their money.

The govt didn't handle the payment/budget well and it was a deeply flawed policy but let's be honest...had it not been for Suthep and his bully boy tactics , the faremrs would have been paid 5 months ago or before

This is most likely true. Many on this forum argued against the care taker paying the farmers. Many people sought ways to block the care taker government from paying the farmers. Now the general does it, and everyone is happy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not everyone...apparently

It took a suspension of the constitution...and gov't...by the military...to make this debacle with the rice farmers right...good for the military...again...doing what needs to be done...without all the political posturing...

The military is making good on the promises of the inept gov't...may they continue the good work...

Edited by ggt
  • Like 1

The farmers and the north will never forgive the people who took away their right to vote and their democratically elected governments over the past 10 years!

I'm glad to see the farmers paid albeit by default but anyone who thinks that the reds are a spent force are living in a fools paradise!

The next election will prove me right

Watch this space!

What next election.... Do you know something we do not..? wai.gif

Farmers will be pleased to be paid. It's great. However, they will not forget that it was the old guard who blocked the payment in the first place.Nothing to do with the policy itself , just pure bloody-mindedness by Sutphep and the cronies.

How do you justify writing lies like this to yourself? You know very well PTP ran into difficulties with paying the farmers months before the protests against the corrupt amnesty bill forced them to dissolve parliament.

They were lying about having enough money months before any protest and then cocked up further by not bothering about paying the farmers before dissolving the house. They needed the 2.2.trillion to cover it all up.

Will be interesting to see what comes to light if/when the real books are found and audited.

There is nothing incorrect in what I have written. Yes, there were problems with the budget for it and in making the payment when the govt went into caretaker mode. It was at that point that Suthep stepped in and harassed and threatened the banks and the private sector, eventually bullying them into non-particiapation in the payment. There are WHOLE THREADS devoted to those events, including some lame brains on this forum suggesting that the banks would fail and everyone should rush to withdraw their money.

The govt didn't handle the payment/budget well and it was a deeply flawed policy but let's be honest...had it not been for Suthep and his bully boy tactics , the faremrs would have been paid 5 months ago or before

This is most likely true. Many on this forum argued against the care taker paying the farmers. Many people sought ways to block the care taker government from paying the farmers. Now the general does it, and everyone is happy.

Name two

• Like 1

The farmers and the north will never forgive the people who took away their right to vote and their democratically elected governments over the past 10 years!

I'm glad to see the farmers paid albeit by default but anyone who thinks that the reds are a spent force are living in a fools paradise!

The next election will prove me right

Watch this space!

What next election.... Do you know something we do not..? wai.gif

Election is a western concept.

In Asia, they prefers junta.

So, now that the farmers get their money, they can produce even more rice for the next rice pledging scheme.

With even more corruption and filling the mill's with rice from Cambodia and Myanmar.

Well done .......................... NOT

How strange that in less than a week the Army can pay the farmers but the PTP exgovernment couldn't manage to do the same thing in more than 9 MONTHS.

Benevolent dictatorship - the most efficient form of government.

Absolutely perfect for Thailand - stuff the democracy nonsense.

Too bad they have only till 10 pm tonight to spent it in bars.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yessir, that's right, thousands of poor rice farmers who have been struggling financially for many months will all of a sudden rush to the nearest karaoke bar and piss it away.rolleyes.gif

Reality, there will be many household/village parties in appreciation of this money finally getting to the needy rice producers..

Well done Prayuth!!

Wonder if Thaksin got kicked in the nuts like this, before?

Hope he is enjoying it as there might be a lot more to come.

Once caught, the singing will start until the choir is heard all over Thailand.

Now is the time to invest in some not for profit prisons, as many are going to needed.

BillyBob

I'm as pleased as the next person the farmers have been paid. Let's not get carried away though. Remember how the gulags started.............Such power in one person, whilst apparently highly popular on this thread at the moment for understandable reasons, needs to be exercised with great caution in the months (and years?) ahead.

they were prevented from doing so by political opposition.

No they were not!!!

The PDRC and Dems were blocking the cash supply. That is why.

So, now that the farmers get their money, they can produce even more rice for the next rice pledging scheme.

With even more corruption and filling the mill's with rice from Cambodia and Myanmar.

Well done .......................... NOT

Any new scheme will not be irresponsible like the last scam.

They should be encouraged (and funded) to grow better quality rice ie; lower quantities of higher margin produce. This is the way to go and the idea of zoning should be encouraged to optimise on crop choice.

And finally they are paid. If there is one good thing has come from this coup it is this.

Some might say they will waste it on beer and at karaoke bars, but I say at least they have the option now to do that. Before they didn't.

Well done General Prayuth. You truly are swift, decisive and have the peoples wellbeing in the forefront of your thoughts. Something I have sorely missed for over 3 years from the leaders of Thailand. At last the people are being respected.

With the respect shown by the General one be be assured he would have picked the "Peoples Bill" that everyone agreed on over the deformed cousin of the "Worachai Bill" that only thaksin wanted had the General been in yingluck's position.

He has shown more respect for the Thai people in 5 days than the PTP have in 3 years.

And the Dems and PDRC have never shown any respect for the Thai people.