9 baht per unit electricity, worth fussing about?

Tell your landlotd that that you need his illegal electrical surncharge scam reduced because you use a lotta juice working online outta your flat.

does that bug up your ass itch?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without reading all other replies:

The offcial unit price is 4.5 baht per Kwh

No air-con, just basic other stuff, would put you at about 800-1000 baht per month, probably less 600/700 baht

You pay 9 baht, so double the amount.

I would an try to negotiate for the price, since they just pocket it, without doing nothing for it.

Of course also depends on what the condo costs per month.

e.g:

I do pay 8 baht per unit, but I have a 64 sq/m place for 4200 baht per month, so a little more electric was ok for me.

They asked 10 baht, but I got it down to 8 baht. They asked 5000 baht per month, got it down to 4200 baht

I do not understand your problem, ask an individual meter. You only pay the sum of consumption + mandatory taxes.

Electricity on my official statement, I have my address, the number of the counter, the number of the last month one of this month, plus a taxes Ido not know (it's written in Thai) plus 7% and my total. The owner rule all this and after delivery of my invoice, I refund it.

The month april, 414 u = 1445, 75 + FT 0,59 = 1690, 60 + 7% = 1808, 94 baths

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this related question: I was told (and not by a landlord) that the size of a unit on the meter in your apartment is not the same as the size of a unit in your electric bill and that is why landlords charge more. Any truth to that one?

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this related question: I was told (and not by a landlord) that the size of a unit on the meter in your apartment is not the same as the size of a unit in your electric bill and that is why landlords charge more. Any truth to that one?

1kWh = 1 kWh

The last time I checked the rate here in Bangkok (a few years ago) it was about 2.3 baht per unit. If that has changed to a higher rate, I'd like some authoratitive evidence from somebody. So far, the answers have been conflicting, to say the least.

In my apartment, when I moved in 17 years ago, the landlady charged 3 baht per unit, which was fine. Then suddenly it shot up to 5 baht a unit, but I liked the apartment and the rent level so I didn't argue. The rent and the unit price remain the same after all this time, so of course I'm still not arguing, even though monthly elec bills can nudge 5,000 baht in the hot season (I'm home nearly all the time, working most of the time, so using a lot).

But I'd stil like to be pointed at the tariffs in place by somebody who knows.

Go back and review my post #18 and use the MEA calculator link I gave in the post. It will give you your cost to the stang. Just use Residential tariff #1.2, Ft of 69 stang and enter how many KWHs/month you will use. The calculator will then add in all the other fees/taxes and give you the exact cost to the stang. I've used it several times to compare to my actual bill I get in the mail....matches to the stang. The 1.2 I've mentioned is NOT the rate per KWH, it's just the tariff number...kinda like a paragraph number....its for those folks consuming more that 150 KWH/month which most everyone will unless you just use one light bulb, a small fan, and a small refrigirator...then you would probably be using less than 150 KWH/month and use residential tariff #1.1 which is almost the same as the 1.2 tariff after Ft, fees and tax is added..

And here's the link to the basic residential 1.2 tariffs before Ft, fees, and taxes. Link. But use the calculator link to get the total bill which adds in the Ft, fees, and taxes.

Edited by Pib

The domestic price is about 3.6 bt, per unit. Condos have to pay a bit more than that, i think.

Hi mate.

I payed 20bht /unit in Pattaya ...!! I was just ripped off.For 2 month I was avoiding air con.

Now I'm in Bangkok 3 month and paying 4.5/unit.

My Air cond . never off tv most of the day and evening untill2 am , big fridge working kitchen (I am cooking everyday) coffe maker etc ,per whole month it cost me 2500 bht. Previous bill was smaller ..just 1500 because I was some time outside Thailand.

I own my condo in downtown Bangkok.

I pay the MEA directly.

The first 150 units are charged at 2.76 baht/unit. The next 250 units are charged at 3.74 baht/unit. (So the first 400 units I use I am paying 1348.47 baht for each month).

After that I pay 3.94 baht per unit for whatever else I consume.

Additionally there is another charge of 46.16 baht flat rate each month plus another charge (Ft) or Fuel Adjustment Cost (variable- see MEA website for explanation) but usually is a few hundred baht a month extra and then of course 7% VAT

Averaging my bills over a number of months, and I would say I am a heavy user, I pay an all-in price of about 4.50 baht/unit each month.

So at 9 baht a unit you are paying double!

In other words, you are being screwed. And if you are a light user, then even at 5 baht/unit you are paying 20% more than you should!

Je vous serais reconnaissant si quelqu'un peut m'aider avec cette question connexe: On m'a dit (et non pas par un propriétaire) que la taille d'une unité sur le compteur dans votre appartement n'est pas la même que la taille d'une unité dans votre facture d'électricité et c'est pourquoi les propriétaires facturent plus. Toute la vérité à ce sujet?

Not true, if you have your meter, look at the digit the day the invoice is presented, notelook the meter, and the following month, when it shows the new invoice check the 2 digits.
It is not complicated. A Hua Hin, the guy has a small casing that he aimed to counter and it writes itself on the casing.

Its a scam operated by many agents and (so I have heard) against the law. Ask your prospective landlord send you bill direct from your local electric company office.

Agents! What are you talking about?

Those of little intelligence really should stay off keyboards.

How can an agent overcharge you for electricity?

The bill would be paid in the office of the condo if it was surcharged and not government rate so how would an agent be involved in that?

Reputable agents don't even rent or offer condos that do not offer government rate electricity.

That has to get stupidest comment of the day in a city famous for stupid comments.

Yes, exactly!!!!

This site better be for people who do not spread information like that.

AGENTS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRICITY GAS OR WATER .

Where I stay in Phuket, the landlord has one main meter, which she pays for at the regular going price for each Kw h.

Her house is wired to 8 apartments, so 8 meters that she owns, controls, and bills at her own discretion. Normally 6 bahts Kw

She has her own rationalisation for the increased price per Kw h

Recuperating the cost of her installations

The cost of services to all, night lights, water pump etc.

OP, 1$ difference only ? How's your math coming to that ?

Average houshold = approx 0,3 KwH x 24Hrs x 30Days

=216 KwH / month

Difference between 4,5 Bath and 9 Bath = is a bitt more then a dollar i think...

Using computer 16 hrs a day... ( 160 watts / Hr )

Fridge frequently opened.. ( 110 Watts / Hr )

Ceiling fan ( 50 Watts / Hr )

Things ad up very fast, be aware ;-)

Also check if you have an own meter and most probably check if no powerdrains are present from other devices then yours..

Outer lightning, hall way, elevator

Sometimes they connect their own electric in your cabinet, so check your fuses and switch any of which you are not using...

Its a scam operated by many agents and (so I have heard) against the law. Ask your prospective landlord send you bill direct from your local electric company office.

Agents! What are you talking about?

Those of little intelligence really should stay off keyboards.

How can an agent overcharge you for electricity?

The bill would be paid in the office of the condo if it was surcharged and not government rate so how would an agent be involved in that?

Reputable agents don't even rent or offer condos that do not offer government rate electricity.

That has to get stupidest comment of the day in a city famous for stupid comments.

Yes, exactly!!!!

This site better be for people who do not spread information like that.

AGENTS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRICITY GAS OR WATER .

Agents "should" have nothing to do with electricity , Gas or water...

But sometimes "agents" manage the property for the owners...

I pay 5.6 in Chiang Mai in my moo Baan house direct to,the electricity company.

In my previous condo,I,paid 8 baht. I,used 1 air con, a computer and laptop. Light in one room. Sometimes a second air con.

8000 to 10,000 electricity per month.

In my house now I run an office.

5 air con,units, 2 fridges, lights on in 2 rooms all day and night and 10 computers, routers, battery back,UPS and more.

4500 per month.

So,yes, something stinks in condos

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Ha in the time it took you to post this question and all the effort in responses you could have earned enough to pay for your first 3 months difference. Stupid posting here's why.

2 things number one don't listen to people that are negative and telling you everyones out to stick it in your ass- its not true. Energy has increased world wide (my condo jumped from 4.6 to 7 this month)...i was paying a hell of alot more than that in the states. Don't let people discourage you, the last thing you want to do is build poor relations by complaining before you even move in. If you believe its unfair then don't move there it isn't right for you.

Secondly, if someone is sticking it to you; learn to deal with it and better your situation instead of complain..Be a good negotiator at the things you have say in, Electric companies have been stabbing people in the jugular since Edison was biting ankles, and apartment complexes will take advantage and ride their coat tails, welcome to mother earth the big old bitch that aint gonna slow down no way no how!

If you have nothing better to do then complain for personal entertainment you may end up saving $3-$5 a month...or suck it up and pay the shit smile carry on be honest work hard and have a blast...you live one time complaining and complainers are everywhere, be different.

Hope this helps ! 9 baht pay it and enjoy your timenin BKK

This is my collected data starting June 2 years ago until this month to see the trends. This is a two story, 4 bedroom, 2 frigs, 3 computers, 5 AC units (1 used at night only and 1 at night but all day when not at work such as weekends/holidays).

post-566-0-91584900-1401113533_thumb.jpg

Post #51 (glcdc) a good example of useless forum bla bla.

saving $3-$5 a month

is complete BS. Even if you are very sparingly using electricity the difference will more likely in the 1000 Baht range.

About 30 USD. If that does not matter, the decision is clear, rent for 9 Baht/kWh.

Others have told you the numbers.

Original tariff is here:

http://www.mea.or.th/new/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=111&pid=109

Do your math.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I pay 5.6 in Chiang Mai in my moo Baan house direct to,the electricity company.

In my previous condo,I,paid 8 baht.

So,yes, something stinks in condos.

I pay the official government rate of under 5B/unit in my condo and I detect no odour.

You were ripped off, that's all.

Another thing is if the landlord is willing to charge more per kWh then he'll also simply make up the numbers that you consumed. I didn't discover this until I was a gone for an entire month but my bill went up. It's a scam.

About 8 baht the norm.

You also pay for lighting on landing and stairs ,pump for the water to get it into higher floors,security lighting outside too

Should these cost not be included in the monthly rental price?

About 8 baht the norm.

You also pay for lighting on landing and stairs ,pump for the water to get it into higher floors,security lighting outside too

Should these cost not be included in the monthly rental price?

Usually condos have a monthly maintenance (public area) fee of a few hundred baht per tenant to cover this. That may be covered in the contract that the owner will pay it or that the tenant will. I doubt the 8 baht/unit is going to that public area fee.

The electric company create or buy the electricity. They erect pylons and add electric cables to make the electricity available to customers. They employ staff to maintain the electricity network. Your landlord will be paid more for their electricity than the electric company is paid. Your landlord does absolutely nothing for this payment by you. Utter madness to pay these rates in my mind.

I believe that there is a direct correlation between how much the landlord marks up the electric bill and the likelihood of them returning your security deposit in full.

Yes, this is it exactly.

In a nutshell, many (not all of course) Thais will try to see what they can get away with. They imagine that you are paying 5-10x what you pay for things in Thailand in your home country, so there is a certain entrepreneurship in play at times.

If you are the type that is ok with overpaying, because confrontation is an issue, or you just don't care, of the rent is cheap, then who cares.

If not, move on. Plenty of places to rent.

My take would be to bring an official copy of the utilities rates with you and then negotiate something in between. Rare is the Thai that is confronted (gently man!) by his over the top greed, and will not settle for just middle of the road greed.

ie if the rate he is asking is 9 baht and the official rate is 3-4 baht, offer him 5-6 baht and he will be happy to have one over on you still. If he is not satisfied with tha tthen you do not want him as a landlord. He will try to squeeze you every which way and your stay will be miserable.

Good luck

In the condo where I live, I'm paying around 4.5 baht per unit.The bill is received from the local electric company and is paid at a nearby 7 - Eleven.

There are 2 of us and much of the time one or both of us is at home. My bill for this month was 1,550 baht though we were away for the best part of 5 days. 9 baht per unit is a rip-off.

Alan