9 baht per unit electricity, worth fussing about?

Don't stress over this or think you are being overcharged because you are a farang. It is very common when you rent a room, studio or apartment in Thailand. The increased electric cost has to been seen as part of the whole deal, rent water and electric. Add it all up as see if you are still happy. This is the same for local Thais also.

Some landlords will work this way others don't but you may still want compare the overall cost. The last place I rented right in the centre of the old city in chiang mai had a large bedroom, large living room, outside kitchen under a roof and a small garden. Water was free and no limit, rent 3000 baht. Electric when we left had gone to 10 baht a unit. And we paid 700-800 baht a month. Rented from 2000 till 2014. rent was 2500 and electric 5 baht in 2000. Everyone was always amazed how we got a fairly big place for so little money and have a little garden. We were paying 10 baht unit for the electric though which overall was ok.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pay 6 baht but the owner has taken to only turning only 1/2 the walkway lights on. Mind you, when things break in the building I live the owner fixes them quickly, usually within a day: water pump, power meter, ordering a water truck, issues with cards and keys, etc... I used to pay 8 baht a few years back now and they just decided to up the rate the month I moved in but no one knew until a week before the bill... I didn't stay there for very long.

Unless you are running air-conditioning on a regular basis then it's not going to be that much to worry. Mind you electric stoves seem to be rage in Thai kitchens and they can use a bit of power. I met a guy who had a more than 4500 baht power bill for a 2 week condo rental... my jaw dropped! I'm sure that the power rate must have been closer to 15 baht in that case.

About 8 baht the norm.

You also pay for lighting on landing and stairs ,pump for the water to get it into higher floors,security lighting outside too

I pay around 6 baht as an owner. If you are renting rather than an owner you might end up with a higher per unit charge to cover some of these other charges that are not itemized in your monthly bill.

I could opt to pay directly to the electric company (or if someone is very delinquent in paying his bills, the condo management would make him deal directly with the electric company, including paying to reconnect if necessary).

The building operating expenses for lifts/elevators and security lighting are separate matters. Pumping water is covered in the charge for water. At least in my condo these things are broken out separately and not lumped together in some opaque general charge and they certainly would not be included in my charge for metered electricity.

Wait a minute.

3,6 B was before than 4.5 B / unit, but my last e.bill was over 5000 B and under 1000 units, and I pay direct to e.company.

BUT 9 B / unit it is a big greedy Chinese scam. My office (of course) Chinese owner asks 7 B / unit and I wait when he will ask more cause the higher govr. price.

These people can <deleted> the goat for 1 B.

A flame and responses to it have been removed, let's keep it civil people.

Back on topic.

It's certainly not unusual for landlords and moo-bahn owners to sell on power (and water), often at inflated rates. 9 Baht a unit, compared to the average government rate of about 4.5 is blatant profiteering.

Is it actually illegal, I don't know, it's not illegal in the UK but there is legislation in place to limit the mark-up, that's one for the lawyer.

4.5 baht is standard government rate including FT & VAT. So hitting you up for 100% above cost.

I agree. I pay 4.5 baht a unit at my Isaan home, where I spend about 4,000 baht a month on average (pool plus garden sprinklers + aircon). I also pay the same 4.5 baht a unit in my Bangkok condo (owned by me so no landlord surcharge), that I inhabit for typically only 1 to 2 days a month - so my bill is usually less than 150 baht a month. The Provincial Electricity Authority (who supply me in On Nut, Bangkok as well as Sisaket) seem to have the same pricing nationwide and the variable rates seem to have a very limited effect on overall bills.

Sounds like your bill should be no more than say 400 baht a month, whereas it must be double that. All landlords appear to add something from the posts I've seen but 100% is taking the michael. Regard half the extra (ie 25% of your bill as a surcharge on your rent and reassess whether you are still happy with that rent compared to the competition. You are a low user by the sound of it so you might still find the apartment worthwhile (ie the landlord may be hoping to make much more money out of you than you will actually be paying).

it's a scam, or let's be diplomatic and say massively overpriced.

Normal rate is THB4.5/unit (kWh). A serviced apartment once charged me 6. I accepted that. Just had a house in Hua Hin for a month where the rate was 4.5. The bill was THB1866 after 24 days - but I abused the aircon to keep the whole place cool for the last few days - nice to come home to in that heat and humidity and I knew I could afford it by then. I would never accept THB9 as a long term rate.

Brit Law:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_energy_supply_e/consumer_energy_bills_e/consumer_paying_your_energy_bills_e/paying_your_landlord_for_energy.htm

How much can the landlord charge for gas and electricity?

There is a maximum price your landlord can charge for gas and electricity. This is set by law and is called the maximum resale price. If your landlord tries to charge you more than this maximum, you may be able to challenge it.

How the landlord charges you for your gas and electricity depends on whether your usage is recorded by a meter.

If your usage is recorded by a meter

If your consumption is recorded by a meter your landlord should bill you for the units used, plus your share of any standing charge at the same price as he paid his supplier. Your landlord can only charge you the domestic rate for energy, even if he has a business contract with the supplier.

If your usage is not recorded by a meter

If your usage is not recorded by a dedicated meter for your property, the landlord should work out your charges proportionately. The landlord must be able to show you how they've worked out the costs if you ask. If your landlord fails to do this in a reasonable time, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

What can’t your landlord charge for?

The bill that your landlord gives you for gas and electricity must only be for the cost of gas and electricity you use.

Any other charges such as an administration charge for billing or charges for lighting common areas must be billed separately. These charges are not subject to legal maximum prices.

Well what some people do is to add some extra charge to fill their own pocket or they rent of the flat cheaper and charge you extra for electricity bill. The difference is not little it will be more than double. The actual rate is around 4 Baht per unit. I pay almost 1400 Baht a month and I do not use AC a lot. So it all depend how much is your consumption.

Your rate is about 30 % higher than average and is worth negotiating if, if you were in almost any other country but, here in Thailand they only negotiate "UP " and any savings will be consumed with a huge increase in Tylenol and "shrink" visits so forget it.

Well the day after I started this thread, I decided that some light negotiating would be the prudent move. Called up the landlord and we had a brief discussion about it which I thought went fairly well. She ended by telling me she would check with her husband and call me back in an hour.

No call came. I waited two days, called her back, and she didn't answer. we had been texting prior so I asked her for an update, and she did not respond. I take it as one of these "saving face" things and perhaps an unusual aversion towards any form of negotiation.

I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be renting this unit now, but there's plenty of fish in the sea and I'm sure I'll find something even better over the next couple of days.

if anyone knows a good small studio in the Nana, Asoke area, 7000 a month or less, send me a PM. I don't require much and it can be far away from the BTS.

Edited by Hal65

Best is to take a motorbike taxi around the smaller streets they know the areas pretty good soi 22-16 have also many places but might be slightly above 7000.

When asking for info, straight ask for elec prices socyou will not have this same problem again

• 1 year later...

I don't know of anywhere that has the electricity cost included, other than hotels/guesthouses, etc. but then the monthly cost of these places is a lot higher than renting a cheap room and paying for the electricity.

Even very basic apartments have separate electricity and water meters for individual rooms.

this guy who sold me his bit coin miners were running them it seems 24 hours a day from his Leaf condo, I don't know how he was turning a profit with the electric costs?

He probably wasn't, which is why he sold them to you :(