Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform

webfact

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just having some kind of reshuffle to become a ministry is not really major reform. Changing the structure is one thing but changing the mindset of the police actually do the job they are paid for is another thing altogether. However, it is positive they are talking about reform although the cynic in me suggests this proposal has come out before something else is forced upon them. We should wait & see the exact nature of the proposal.

But aren't the police partly funded by the fines they collect?

If so, stopping that practice, issuing receipts for fines and tracking where the money goes might help.

Friend of mine was stopped in Hua Hin today to check the car rego. It was the old rego but he had not put the new one on the screen. When he pulled it out and put it on the policeman said he must pay 300 baht but he didn't have any money on him. He asked him to give him a ticket but he refused and wouldn't let him leave until his wife brought the money. Reforms, doubt it, it's ingrained and I think it will take generations to clean it up and even then I think it's wishful thinking

The cops are corrupt. The military are corrupt. The military are just using this opportunity to take out the middle man so all the drug money etc can go to the junta instead of those pesky policeman. I agree the police force needs reform. I don't know a Thai person that has any respect for the police. But reform shouldn't be actioned by an equally corrupt military junta. It doesn't solve anything. Just concentrates the "hub of corruption"

Thailand is looking more and more like Burma every day.

Keep your toothbrush in your pocket. You will want your own toothbrush wherever you end up. And put a spy hole in your front door

1. Pay police a decent wage.

2. Supply all their equipment and uniform, instead of making them buy their own.

3. Stop the practice of buying promotions and promote on merit only.

4. Stop using transfers as punishment. Start using dismissals and court action.

5. Give all policeman clearly displayed badges with name AND number.

6. Set up a robust Internal Affairs department and encourage the public to report wrong-doing to an action line.

7. Sent fast-track personnel for specialized training in Western countries.

8. And make minor traffic fines payable by bank transfer within 7 days, not required to go to Police station today, NOW...... That encourages corruption especially in big cities.

If they want a professional police force they (government) need to treat them like one.. provide uniforms, vehicles and hand guns (currently they buy their own, except special cases highway patrol cars etc) also a more reasonable wage ONLY then could you plausible stop corruption in the force.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You haven't mentioned the huge "membership fee" either for new recruits.

Yes, employment should be based on ability, not payment or - God forbid - nepotism.

We all know what nepotism did for Yingluk.

how about a radical idea - jury duty smile.png

Useless, if the police decides who gets to face a jury based on what is expedient to the politicians mafiosi in power.

Also, there is no provision whatsoever of trial by jury in the Thai civil law system or in its criminal procedure, nor will there be.

Edited by keemapoot

What is it with foreigners on this site! Surely the proof of the pudding is in the eating, let's give them a chance before slating every idea the Thai authorities come up with. Ah maybe it's because they can't be bar stool politicians after 10 pm so nothing else to do only post drivel!

• Like 1

Fire all police and make them reapply for all positions with new terms and a damn tough interview process and an independent police authority as in other countries,of course it will never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My local police (all three of them) do an excellent job and they have the respect of the community, they supplement their low incomes by working in their off duty time. I am not being funny.

Your last sentence is indicative of the fact that you are a little funny.

What is it with foreigners on this site! Surely the proof of the pudding is in the eating, let's give them a chance before slating every idea the Thai authorities come up with. Ah maybe it's because they can't be bar stool politicians after 10 pm so nothing else to do only post drivel!

They may post drivel but is that worse than those who've nothing better to do than read it?

typo

Edited by bigbamboo

Glad to see even half-hearted reforms. The problem is information -- we don't have any. The junta made an announcement at 8:47, 20 min ago now, but we won't have an approved translation until tomorrow. It is a bit worrisome. What if they declared that all people named "Bob" have to leave the country tomorrow wearing fuchsia speedos, or declared we all must eat mayo on our pizza on alternating Tuesdays? My God, what if they demanded student visa holders show course work and recent bank information, and made them pay back taxes before the deportation?

Dogs sleeping with cats -- sheep looking for Afghanis...it could be chaos...

We just don't know.

You are living in Thailand, so why should the officials rush to translate anything into English, the official language here is Thai or have you forgotten that fact.

Would your own country even bother with a translation into Thai - doubt it very much.

Learn to live with it like most of us do without any great problem.

• Like 1

What's the new definition of bad luck in Thailand?

A redshirt who's just borrowed a fortune from his greedy relatives to buy his way into the Royal Thai Police Force.

And the first repayments are due this week.....

• Like 2

Glad to see even half-hearted reforms. The problem is information -- we don't have any. The junta made an announcement at 8:47, 20 min ago now, but we won't have an approved translation until tomorrow. It is a bit worrisome. What if they declared that all people named "Bob" have to leave the country tomorrow wearing fuchsia speedos, or declared we all must eat mayo on our pizza on alternating Tuesdays? My God, what if they demanded student visa holders show course work and recent bank information, and made them pay back taxes before the deportation?

We just don't know.

You are living in Thailand, so why should the officials rush to translate anything into English, the official language here is Thai or have you forgotten that fact.

Would your own country even bother with a translation into Thai - doubt it very much.

I come from the UK it would be translated into about 4 or 5 languages.

IF and that is a mighty big if, the Generals can shape the RTP into a modern police force between now and the next election (should give them some time whistling.gif ) with merit based promotion and maintained professional standards, they will have done the Thai populace a huge service.

Come on, someone tell me I'm dreaming.

Promotion on merit will be something of a stumbling block through-out the uniformed Thai's me thinks!

We just don't know.

And rightly so, seeing as how the UK is part of the EU.

• Like 1

..And comments like the one above are proof positive that the current regime is not so draconian as to censor the internet of certain types of criticism.

Anyway, greetings to normal people out there, include those who have been in Thailand long enough to properly care, and to shudder at certain types of naive, negative, no-it-all remarks (..albeit it at times simply intended as 'low-brow' or 'smart-alec' farang fun).

Major reform has been a hallmark of all modern Police Services in the world. For the RTP it has always been just a matter of time.

Like many, it took me a fair while to get my head around the 'red envelopes', certain on-the-spot fines, incredibly high confession rate, junior officers with assets beyond their means, and other things not widely found nowadays in the international professional Policing community.

I turned my disappointment into developing a reservedly reasonable acceptance of paying a questionable 250 baht traffic fine every month or so, seeing it as a donation to public servants who have as a profession, one of the most potentially dangerous jobs in the world, receiving one of the lowest salaries in the country. Anyone one who has been here a while, or has a good personal association with a member of the Police, or just knows, will tell you that with some of these 'Traffic Entrapments' we see monthly around payday, the money is filtered down through the ranks in an organised way, as I now see it - compensating for the incredibly low wages recieved. Like it or not, it's a reality - and has become a renown sub-culture or open secret.

This phenomenom prevails due to historical economic circumstances. Let's not forget 2 things:

1. There are incorruptible, well trained, highly intelligent Police.

2. Take easy pot shots if you will, but when it really hits the fan, who do people call? Say no more.

When I attend my local immigration station for visa requirements, my heart and hopes go out to the fresh police recruits I see, some of Thailand's bravest and finest, drilling on the parade ground, preparing for a great future in service of their country, and dealing with all that entails, including perhaps certain realities in and out of the 'cop-shop' that they hadn't yet trained for.

It became my firm contention long ago, that the inevitable reform of the RTP would indeed meet reality, if not before - as a result of an improved national economy. Accordingly, the RTP should receive a salary commensurate of their profession, as well as delivering the integrity of service expected of them. They should receive the resources, training and support required to deliver the world's best practices the RTP deserve and expect.

These kinds of reform processes have been witnessed around the world, which is why we have the standards and expectations many countries enjoy. Thailand is no different. Most reasonable people who have been privileged to be in this country for a while, know exactly the height of standards Thai people can and frequently do produce, given the opportunity. Truly world class.

As someone once said, 'the best weapon is success'. Whether at home, or a number of countries I have lived and worked in, when I hear a disillusioned hard working local, wishing to divest blame towards culture or tradition for being unable to move forward... ".. aah This is XYL-land, we can't do that here...", rather than point to the White Elephant in the room, sometimes it's far more expedient to point to the success stories in the local's own country, and help them feel proud of their role models. Try it - it's a winner. People who know cross-cultural communication know what I'm talking about.

So in the years pondering this quandary.. as many of us have, wondering - if given the opportunity to realistically advance the effectiveness and status of elements of the RTP, how on earth would you do it?

Typically, it would be a merciless, top down approach to integrity, standards and procedure. 'Just do the job you were trained to do, when you marched out of the academy' ( ..as so many thousands of serving members do). The reality of sub-culture and low wages - meets dangerous job is glaring. I fancied an approach patently not possible in most western and other countries in this day and age.

1. Raise salaries.

2. Upgrade training, resources, policy and support.

3. Offer limited Thai style discretion ( ..if it's appropriate to put it that way.) I.E. With regards to managing affected personnel: retrain some, retire others and dismiss or try those (serious cases) deemed so fit. Bring in the broom.

We will see some of Thailand's bravest and finest enjoying the enhanced respect, effectiveness and status so highly deserved.

Fast forward.

Coupe 2014. Military leaders assume power, attaining Royal Ascent.

Revealingly, in a press conference to an English speaking audience, a military commander explains the troops on streets and ban on media, as an opportunity for the Thai people to pause, and have a think about the situation.

As reasonably cynical or concerned as many western minds can be, again I say - some of those who have been here a while may well agree, that a great many every day Thai citizens, from all walks of life, have in fact done just that.. taken pause, and largely seem to appreciate this fact, and the gravity of this military imposition - regardless of politics.

There will always be those who rightfully disagree, as Thai anti coup protesters dangerous tout in the streets of Bangkok presently. That said, clearly seems that great restraint and discretion has been displayed by the military authorities in view of this, thus far.

Today's Newsflash: Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform.

RTP to be 'dissolved' and a 17 Department Ministry formed.

Proposal or Action Plan in 4 months.

This is not a small deal. Neither is it a political stunt, act of corruption or some other nefarious solution to an 'impossible' issue.

Most people are against coups, period. It's the opposite of what we consider a good government to be made of. Most of foreigners have had the luxury of coming from a place where normalcy means a 'rule of law' that is not frequently embattled in large scale political unrest or beset with the challenges of social inequality, in a so-called 'developing nation' setting.

Yes, this it Thailand ( ..not generally a fan of that often misused phrase), and sadly coups happen. I'm more than sure the RT Military Command would wish for coups to be a thing of the past... but if it's going to happen, we all hope that they do what is best for Thailand, using to their exceptional advantage, the great power and responsibility that goes with supreme authority without civilian democratic accountability.

I find that in view of the circumstances, the timing of this strategy - the reform of the RTP - an action not uncommon in the world, an action that most Thai citizens would agree to be beneficial to Thailand, and an action arguably a long way from possible in the short to medium term of a democratic Thai political landscape, shows great wisdom and offers great hope to the advancement of a number of Thailand's deep and meaningful interests.

I am sure I am not alone as a humble guest, in joining Thai peoples' hopes for a highly deserved, truly world class outcome for the RTP.

I continue to thank outstanding members of the RTP for being role models to Thai peers in their profession, and have every confidence that this will be a positive result for them. I hope and optimistically expect that they receive the support and resources required to undertake the challenges ahead.

Thank you.

Edited by mrpositive
  • Like 2

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Well it is always nice to generalize. I do it my self quite often. How ever there are many good and honest policemen on the force now and many more who would not seek tea money if they were paid a decent wage first.

But for sure they could all use retraining.

Hong Kong police force has gone from one of the most corrupt in the world, to one of the cleanest. Singapore is also pretty faultless. It can be done with the right strategy.

Like to support your assertions on the two forces you mention?

Police forces world wide have had problems with corruption, laziness and not bothering to do their duties. There is no quick fix or universal panacea. The police service usually reflects social norms of the communities they serve. The endemic corruption in Thailand and it's acceptance as long as it "benefits me" mindset has to change as well. Otherwise any positive changes to the police will be eroded.

Good luck to those leading the changes - they are badly needed.

For once PrBkk is right. I lived in HK for 13 years. Never ever any shakedown. Almost all people, incl taxi drivers, follow the rules. The ICAC rooted out the corruption.

And now?

We just don't know.

And rightly so, seeing as how the UK is part of the EU.

English, Welsh, Hindi, Urdu and Chinese. Other Europeans are expected to learn English.

Hong Kong police force has gone from one of the most corrupt in the world, to one of the cleanest. Singapore is also pretty faultless. It can be done with the right strategy.

Like to support your assertions on the two forces you mention?

Police forces world wide have had problems with corruption, laziness and not bothering to do their duties. There is no quick fix or universal panacea. The police service usually reflects social norms of the communities they serve. The endemic corruption in Thailand and it's acceptance as long as it "benefits me" mindset has to change as well. Otherwise any positive changes to the police will be eroded.

Good luck to those leading the changes - they are badly needed.

For once PrBkk is right. I lived in HK for 13 years. Never ever any shakedown. Almost all people, incl taxi drivers, follow the rules. The ICAC rooted out the corruption.

And now?

Left in 2002 but haven't heard any friends complain.

I know nothing.....

but its not going to happen , same as all the rest of the corruption they say they want to stop ,

nice to make rules but there is no one to enforce them , and the bride money is much more than the wages,

And if they did enforce ALL laws and not get bribes then no shopping for "brand name" items, no food street stalls , traffic would be much worse if you had to obey all traffic laws etc

no going to happen.......ever

..And comments like the one above are proof positive that the current regime is not so draconian as to censor the internet of certain types of criticism.

Anyway, greetings to normal people out there, include those who have been in Thailand long enough to properly care, and to shudder at certain types of naive, negative, no-it-all remarks (..albeit it at times simply intended as 'low-brow' or 'smart-alec' farang fun).

Major reform has been a hallmark of all modern Police Services in the world. For the RTP it has always been just a matter of time.

Like many, it took me a fair while to get my head around the 'red envelopes', certain on-the-spot fines, incredibly high confession rate, junior officers with assets beyond their means, and other things not widely found nowadays in the international professional Policing community.

I turned my disappointment into developing a reservedly reasonable acceptance of paying a questionable 250 baht traffic fine every month or so, seeing it as a donation to public servants who have as a profession, one of the most potentially dangerous jobs in the world, receiving one of the lowest salaries in the country. Anyone one who has been here a while, or has a good personal association with a member of the Police, or just knows, will tell you that with some of these 'Traffic Entrapments' we see monthly around payday, the money is filtered down through the ranks in an organised way, as I now see it - compensating for the incredibly low wages recieved. Like it or not, it's a reality - and has become a renown sub-culture or open secret.

This phenomenom prevails due to historical economic circumstances. Let's not forget 2 things:

1. There are incorruptible, well trained, highly intelligent Police.

2. Take easy pot shots if you will, but when it really hits the fan, who do people call? Say no more.

When I attend my local immigration station for visa requirements, my heart and hopes go out to the fresh police recruits I see, some of Thailand's bravest and finest, drilling on the parade ground, preparing for a great future in service of their country, and dealing with all that entails, including perhaps certain realities in and out of the 'cop-shop' that they hadn't yet trained for.

It became my firm contention long ago, that the inevitable reform of the RTP would indeed meet reality, if not before - as a result of an improved national economy. Accordingly, the RTP should receive a salary commensurate of their profession, as well as delivering the integrity of service expected of them. They should receive the resources, training and support required to deliver the world's best practices the RTP deserve and expect.

These kinds of reform processes have been witnessed around the world, which is why we have the standards and expectations many countries enjoy. Thailand is no different. Most reasonable people who have been privileged to be in this country for a while, know exactly the hight of standards Thai people can produce, given the opportunity. Truly world class.

As someone once said, 'the best weapon is success'. Whether at home, or a number of countries I have lived and worked in, when I hear a disillusioned hard working local, wishing to divest blame towards culture or tradition for being unable to move forward... ".. aah This is XYL-land, we can't do that here...", rather than point to the White Elephant in the room, sometimes it's far more expedient to point to the success stories in the local's own country, and help them feel proud of their role models. Try it - it's a winner. People who know cross-cultural communication know what I'm talking about.

So in the years pondering this quandary.. as many of us have, wondering - if given the opportunity to realistically advance the effectiveness and status of elements of the RTP, how on earth would you do it?

Typically, it would be a merciless, top down approach to integrity, standards and procedure. 'Just do the job you were trained to do, when you marched out of the academy' ( ..as so many thousands of serving members do). The reality of sub-culture and low wages - meets dangerous job is glaring. I fancied an approach patently not possible in most western and other countries in this day and age.

1. Raise salaries.

2. Upgrade training, resources, policy and support.

3. Offer limited Thai style discretion ( ..if it's appropriate to put it that way.) I.E. With regards to managing affected personnel: retrain some, retire others and dismiss or try those (serious cases) deemed so fit. Bring in the broom.

We will see some of Thailand's bravest and finest enjoying the enhanced respect, effectiveness and status so highly deserved.

Fast forward.

Coupe 2014. Military leaders assume power, attaining Royal Ascent.

Revealingly, in a press conference to an English speaking audience, a military commander explains the troops on streets and ban on media, as an opportunity for the Thai people to pause, and have a think about the situation.

As reasonably cynical or concerned as many western minds can be, again I say - some of those who have been here a while may well agree, that a great many every day Thai citizens, from all walks of life, have in fact done just that.. taken pause, and largely seem to appreciate this fact, and the gravity of this military imposition - regardless of politics.

There will always be those who rightfully disagree, as Thai anti coup protesters dangerous tout in the streets of Bangkok presently. That said, clearly seems that great restraint and discretion has been displayed by the military authorities in view of this, thus far.

Today's Newsflash: Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform.

RTP to be 'dissolved' and a 17 Department Ministry formed.

Proposal or Action Plan in 4 months.

This is not a small deal. Neither is it a political stunt, act of corruption or some other nefarious solution to an 'impossible' issue.

Most people are against coups, period. It's the opposite of what we consider a good government to be made of. Most of foreigners have had the luxury of coming from a place where normalcy means a 'rule of law' that is not frequently embattled in large scale political unrest or beset with the challenges of social inequality, in a so-called 'developing nation' setting.

Yes, this it Thailand ( ..not generally a fan of that often misused phrase), and sadly coups happen. I'm more than sure the RT Military Command would wish for coups to be a thing of the past... but if it's going to happen, we all hope that they do what is best for Thailand, using to their exceptional advantage, the great power and responsibility that goes with supreme authority without civilian democratic accountability.

I find that in view of the circumstances, the timing of this strategy - the reform of the RTP - an action not uncommon in the world, an action that most Thai citizens would agree to be beneficial to Thailand, and an action arguably a long way from possible in the short to medium term of a democratic Thai political landscape, shows great wisdom and offers great hope to the advancement of a number of Thailand's deep and meaningful interests.

I am sure I am not alone as a humble guest, in joining Thai peoples' hopes for a highly deserved, truly world class outcome for the RTP.

I continue to thank outstanding members of the RTP for being role models to Thai peers in their profession, and have every confidence that this will be a positive result for them. I hope and optimistically expect that they receive the support and resources required to undertake the challenges ahead.

Thank you.

Well said

"Most people are against coups, period. It's the opposite of what we consider a good government to be made of. Most of foreigners have had the luxury of coming from a place where normalcy means a 'rule of law' that is not frequently embattled in large scale political unrest or beset with the challenges of social inequality, in a so-called 'developing nation' setting."

Rule of law has been the big problem here. It would seem it only applies to what non government big shots do. For instance I don't like that decision handed down by the court so I am going to ignore it. Or it is OK to remove the most proficient man from his job so my relative or good buddy can bungle the job. If you don't believe me Skype to Dubai and ask for Mr. T Shinawatra he will tell you why it is OK. Your reply will be in an envelope.