13 percent of Thai women between 15 to 49 tolerate domestic violence

webfact

13 per cent of Thai women between 15 to 49 tolerate domestic violence

BANGKOK: -- About 13.1 per cent of women aged 15-49 believe their husband/partner has the right to hit or beat them, a survey has found.

The survey was carried out by a survey by the National Statistical Office (NSO) and Unicef among 27,000 households nationwide between September and November 2012.

If found that the women believe their husband or partner could hit them for neglecting their children (10.8 per cent), going out without telling their husband (4.3 per cent), when they argue with their husband (2 per cent), when they refuse to have sex with their husband (2 per cent) or when they burn food (1 per cent).

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-28

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what the reason is it is disgusting. I am of course reasoning that this is a multiple time thing not just a one time thing which is wrong also.

I wonder how many husbands are physically abused by their wife's. It does happen but no where near as much as the wife abuse.

I accept the customs of the country and do not try to change them but if I catch a husband doing it I will defiantly change his custom.

• Like 1

So 20.1% of those who 'tolerated' domestic violence against them gave a situation in which they'd tolerate. Did the other 79.9% just accepted the odd slap anyway?

BTW I wonder what the figures would be if husbands had been asked if they 'tolerated' their wife to slap them a wee bit.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to work out how they came up with a figure of 13% from the numbers displayed.

Anybody?

And how is a child of 15 a woman? bah.gif

Edit: Oh yes yes, the children between 15 and 18 with child are adult women, never abused and raped. They don't count. :(

27,000 participations in a survey, and they come up with 13%? B.S. : It's more like 40%, but in a survey people generally don't offer honest opinion when under observation!

Very poor study results!

Edited by UbonRatch

"If found that the women believe their husband or partner could hit them for neglecting their children (10.8 per cent), going out without telling their husband (4.3 per cent), when they argue with their husband (2 per cent), when they refuse to have sex with their husband (2 per cent) or when they burn food (1 per cent)."

That part reads a bit like they asked my wife what her average day consisted of (not the neglecting children part).

• Like 1

Common Guys Hitting a woman regardless of the situation is just plain stupid and not called for. We are physically the stronger sex so why hit a woman They know we are stronger Does this prove your manhood If you think so then you are Buffalo

Its that simple

I don't care what the reason is it is disgusting. I am of course reasoning that this is a multiple time thing not just a one time thing which is wrong also.

I wonder how many husbands are physically abused by their wife's. It does happen but no where near as much as the wife abuse.

I accept the customs of the country and do not try to change them but if I catch a husband doing it I will defiantly change his custom.

I was a battered husband, all 4 of my wives used to go crazy once a month. I have the scars to prove it. My 3rd wife and business partner in the UK used to beat me up and then call the police and accuse me of striking her, which was untrue. She was only 5ft tall but a kung <deleted> champion. She once knocked out a shoplifter who was stealing from our shop and threatened her with a knife, with one kick to the jaw. The truth is many Thai Women are more than a match for their husbands when it comes to domestic violence.

A friend who was an actor in a UK police series told the script writer about our situation and they wrote an episode on domestic violence with an English Husband and Thai Wife.

My former wife pulled that stunt as well She was hitting me and threw a Pineapple at my head then came at me with a knife. I grabbed her arm and forced her to drop the knife by twisting her arm. Then I went out of the house Period That was the extent of it. I arrived back at the house 3 hours later to waiting police. They said I had to leave I was abusing her

Bull she was abusing me . She was a little lady but a very good lair. I would never hit a woman for Any reason PERIOD

I know a Thai girl who regularly gets beaten by her boyfriend, when she told her sisters they told her it must be her fault as he wouldn't do it without reason. The reason is generally that she questions why he didn't come home at night or asks about reports from friends that he was seen at a club with other girls. He even knocks her about while she's pregnant. Sadly the emotional abuse that's gone with it has left her so low that she genuinely believes that staying with someone like that is better than being alone.

Stated differently, 86.9% (almost 9 in 10) of women between 15-49 don't believe in violence against women.

Said this way it sounds more empowering and less dramatic than the original story.

Or...1 in 10 women are idiots and so uneducated.

Edited by tomyummer

2011-10-14_155119_zps1e415e60.png

Now I'm just confused if this appears to the women who agree to be beaten or the guys who are beating them

So if a woman was coming at you with a knife, you would not hit her?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As someone mentioned earlier there is a likely a correlation between this and what is shown every day on Thai soaps.

I am not really a fan of soaps in any country, well maybe neighbors when Kylie was in it but I was still shocked by how common the violence was and that the maturity levels that were shown were still at the level where violence was a first choice option as soon as minor conflict occurred. Girl on girl, girl on man, husband on wife, granny on daughter-in-law and so on. That was 10 years ago

It is not to say that other countries do not have violent soaps they do, the UK for example has some of the most miserable soaps in the world and probably inadvertently encourage self violence but they still manage to present a sense of right and wrong with the violence, I think that is what is missing here. If someone happens to wear the same dress as you, is a good walloping really the right course of action?

Edited by Bangel72

I was a battered husband, all 4 of my wives used to go crazy once a month. I have the scars to prove it. My 3rd wife and business partner in the UK used to beat me up and then call the police and accuse me of striking her, which was untrue. She was only 5ft tall but a kung <deleted> champion. She once knocked out a shoplifter who was stealing from our shop and threatened her with a knife, with one kick to the jaw. The truth is many Thai Women are more than a match for their husbands when it comes to domestic violence.

A friend who was an actor in a UK police series told the script writer about our situation and they wrote an episode on domestic violence with an English Husband and Thai Wife.

When I first heard that domestic violence by Thai male partners against their Thai female partners was rife in Thailand I naturally felt sorry for the recipients of such treatment but when I questioned my Thai partner I was told that the verbal abuse dished out by many Thai women and suffered by many Thai men is so severe that a farang probably would have 'lashed out' well before any Thai man. It may not be true, I've only my Thai partner's word for it but it made me 'think on' a bit. If it's true it might be something to do with Thai blokes' not being able to supply enough land, gold, houses, cars and sufficient monthly allowances. Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1

Stated differently, 86.9% (almost 9 in 10) of women between 15-49 don't believe in violence against women.

Said this way it sounds more empowering and less dramatic than the original story.

Or...1 in 10 women are idiots and so uneducated.

Sounds like the type of numbers you might find in many places.

• Like 1

Are we to believe that 15 year olds are already married and being abused...and somehow after they reach the age of 50...they let their abusive mate know that they are not going to take it anymore...weird...another Thai poll...always interesting...

http://youtu.be/u3PgH86OyEM

Nothing more to say really coffee1.gif

Violence against another person in a relationship is unacceptable, western countries have made some great steps forward towards stopping domestic violence against women and people's responses in a public place are generally ones of outrage, hopefully in time this will change to include men.

Unfortunately attitudes here are similar to what they would have been in the west in the last generation or two - that it's not someones business outside the relationship. There seems to be very little education against it here and almost every Thai girl I know has either been hit at some point or has a friend who has and that's across a range of social backgrounds from uneducated poor girls up to educated girls from relatively wealthy families. It does surprise me to watch Thai soaps here and it has violence as an acceptable action rather than a storyline showing that it's wrong.

I remember my old man kneeling in front of me when I was a kid around 7 years old and holding my wrists after I'd just punched my little sister and saying to me "a real man never hits a woman". I saw my mum slap him and throw stuff at him and he never responded violently to her. Not saying what she did was acceptable (as it clearly isn't) but I have a huge amount of respect for how he acted and that's the kind of person I want to be.

• Like 1