Facebook down across Thailand – reports

webfact

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appears to have been world wide. Nothing to do with Thailand. Weird because I checked isitdownorjustme.com twice during the outage and both times it reported that is was "just me" and that FB was up. Go figure.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Facebook-Phuket-not-blocked-Army/29597#ad-image-0

Edited by NomadJoe

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For everyone cheering a possible block of FB, please remember that companies use it also as a media for publicize their business and communication with customers, it's not only for selfies with soldiers and food.

Excellent point. I found it extremely useful recently when searching for accomodation. Most websites (if there were any) were dead, but FB listings were alive and well and often gave me the info I was looking for.

One of my complaints about Thailand in years past was I couldn't just go online and find what I needed like back home. But FB is becoming the Thai Yellow Pages

I have an eighteen year old Thai stepson and like 95 per cent of teenagers in captivity the loss of Facebook will be seen as little short of the end of civilisation as they know it. I guess I'll just have to keep him away from all medications, sharp objects and balconies to be on the safe side. Maybe I could re introduce him to one of those things we and aour friends used to occupy ourselves with as kids in the days before antisocial media. Footballs we called them.

• Like 2

Wow, imagine that...people will actually have to communicate personally to one another for a change, and present themselves as they really are and not with a bunch of made up crap like they do on FaceButt...

• Like 1

This would in fact bring a lot of Thai condemnation because so many Thai

businesses use FB as their website

Yes....'cos it's free.......!!

Misguided managers!

Not really...This is now

they know when one person with 100 friends "likes" one of their pics of things for sale

they get 100 looks

Hard to beat & hard to compare any website traffic with the sheer power of FB

It is just how it is today

All the major motorcycle shops I know in Bangkok etc do their business thru FB

Edited by mania

Facebook 'block' shakes coup-hit Thailand

BANGKOK, May 28, 2014 (AFP) - Facebook users in coup-rattled Thailand reacted with alarm Wednesday after experiencing widespread problems accessing the social networking site, but the junta quickly denied imposing a block.

"Urgent: Facebook has been suspended," one user wrote on Twitter.

"Surely that would be suicide. Whole country would protest," wrote another user.

But just minutes later users celebrated: "Facebook is back!!"

The military regime which seized power on May 22 said it had not pulled the plug on the site.

"We have not ordered a block of Facebook -- it's not our policy," said army spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvaree.

"Facebook experienced a slight technical failure and the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology is working to fix it now," he said.

But some users were unconvinced, speculating that it could have been a trial run for a possible blackout in the future, or a warning shot to social media users not to criticise the coup.

Social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook are hugely popular in the country.

The junta has warned it would block any social media platforms found to carry content that incites violence or is critical of its military leaders.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-28