Facebook down across Thailand – reports

webfact

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook was inaccessible today in Thailand for a period of time ranging from 30 minutes to an hour and a half for various users in the country.

The Twittersphere subsequently exploded with speculation, causing two hashtags to trend: #facebookdown and #ถ้าทวิตเตอร์โดนปิด (translated to “If Twitter was blocked”).

Thailand ICT (Information and Communications Technology) permanent secretary Surachai Srisarakam told Spring News that he received an order to close Facebook on and off throughout the day because it could potentially incite unrest among Thai people.

Meanwhile the Army sent a tweet out saying that they have not shut down Facebook and that the network failed because of “technical gateway problems.”

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok May 28, 2014

Reuters has reported this.

(Reuters) - Thailand's information technology ministry blocked Facebook on Wednesday and planned to hold talks with other social networking sites to stem protests against the military government, a senior official said.

"We have blocked Facebook temporarily and tomorrow we will call a meeting with other social media, like Twitter and Instagram, to ask for cooperation from them," Surachai Srisaracam, permanent secretary of the Information and Communications Technology Ministry, told Reuters.

"Right now there's a campaign to ask for people to stage protests against the army so we need to ask for cooperation from social media to help us stop the spread of critical messages about the coup," he said.

Print and broadcast media have already been instructed to refrain from critical reporting of the military's May 22 takeover.

Yeah ... Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and other countries asked the same during the Arab Spring and how did that turn out?

Best thing that could happen along all the other crap sites like twitter ect . Maybe people can go out and have a real meal and actually talk to each other instead of being occupied by there efn phones .

Yep, can they block 'Line' too, the constant pling plong noise is really annoying.

"so we need to ask for cooperation from social media to help us stop the spread of critical messages about the coup,"

I think they will find the rest of the world supports free speech

Would be a slippery slope for anyone to try & decide what to delete

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

My two tweets on the subject:

The stupid thing is they just gave many people a crash course and a reason to go VPN or TOR etc ....... (1/2)

I wanna bet the number of people in Thailand knowing about that just doubled in this hour! (2/2)

• Like 1

Reuters has reported this.

(Reuters) - Thailand's information technology ministry blocked Facebook on Wednesday and planned to hold talks with other social networking sites to stem protests against the military government, a senior official said.

"We have blocked Facebook temporarily and tomorrow we will call a meeting with other social media, like Twitter and Instagram, to ask for cooperation from them," Surachai Srisaracam, permanent secretary of the Information and Communications Technology Ministry, told Reuters.

"Right now there's a campaign to ask for people to stage protests against the army so we need to ask for cooperation from social media to help us stop the spread of critical messages about the coup," he said.

Print and broadcast media have already been instructed to refrain from critical reporting of the military's May 22 takeover.

Yeah ... Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and other countries asked the same during the Arab Spring and how did that turn out?

I think everyone has the right to access information, blocking something is not the way forward.

Well, in my humble opinion Facebook is absolutely useless and redundant service as well as other so called "social networks"... mfr_closed1.gif

This is just a waste of your time

Please correct me if I am wrong

Like many internet related things it depends on the users

ability to get what they want from it.

I do not use it to socialize but do use it to connect with many Thai businesses

• Like 1

I couldn't access twitter just now.

And I wish people would stop advertising so blatantly about ways to access things that are blocked, they will ruin it eventually.

Edited by taony

wow such a loss for these sad people try phoning and having a real conversation..i really wouldnt be interested in seeing a picture of your last meal...wai2.gif

Not really the point is it?

true it is only for teenagers...so not really relevant on this site..w00t.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

While facebook is a major distraction in the workplace, it is also a necessary tool for my job. I use it to recruit workers, particularly expats here in Bangkok. So, as you are expressing your joy as to its unavailability, just remember that some expats and some thais are probably losing the opportunity to obtain beneficial employment due to the outage.

If your recruitment is based on a social media outlet, in a country going through what this one is, not sure if that is a good business plan.

If they want, LINE will be next, there are a lot of users here.

Suggest having a Plan B, C, D & E ready..................wink.png