Power cuts in Phuket and South likely June 13 to July 10

webfact

Power cuts in Phuket and South likely June 13 to July 10
Suthicha Sirirat

1401337698_1-org.jpg
Photo Anders Bergstrom

PHUKET: -- Authorities have warned that Phuket and other provinces in the south may experience more blackouts than normal between June 13 and July 10 because the natural gas pipeline from Malaysia will be closed for maintenance.

As a result, there will be a shortfall of 420 million cubic feet of natural gas a day, which in turn means that the Chana power station in Songkhla, which produces 710 Megawatt of electricity, will have to be taken off the national grid.

At a meeting yesterday (May 28) chaired by Governor Maitri Inthusut, officials heard that the power plant closure will result in a shortfall of energy across the 14 southern Thailand provinces, including Phuket, especially in the peak power use hours from 6:30 to 10pm, Monday to Saturday.

To offset the shortfall the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand will take steps to increase electricity supply to the South from other power stations, from 700 Megawatt to 950 Megawatt.

If demand exceeds that amount, the Provincial Electricity Authority will rotate blackouts from one area to another, though taking care not to affect areas with hospitals, airports, police stations and other security organisations.

During the maintenance period everyone is asked to try to reduce their power use.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/power-cuts-in-phuket-and-south-likely-june-13-to-july-10-46544.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-29

Marvelous! just when the World Cup is on, I can remember juring an earlier World Cup, they did not show some on the matches because all the Thai TV covered someone's anniversary. Great timing.

That's the first time I've seen during spelt that way.

• Like 1

"During the maintenance period everyone is asked to try to reduce their power use."

I'll use fan on 2 instead of 3. smile.png

That's a 33.3% reduction in use. Quite significant. Well done NJ. biggrin.png

you are assuming that each setting uses the same amount of power, i would suggest that similar to any gearing system the higher gear actually uses less energy and therefore it is likely to be much less then 33%,,

Need to do better NJ, how about setting 1. Or perhaps switch it off and just wave a newspaper in front of your face for much of the time.

• Like 1

"During the maintenance period everyone is asked to try to reduce their power use."

I'll use fan on 2 instead of 3. smile.png

That's a 33.3% reduction in use. Quite significant. Well done NJ. biggrin.png

you are assuming that each setting uses the same amount of power, i would suggest that similar to any gearing system the higher gear actually uses less energy and therefore it is likely to be much less then 33%,,

Need to do better NJ, how about setting 1. Or perhaps switch it off and just wave a newspaper in front of your face for much of the time.

To my knowledge, fans have an SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier) which is a solid state device. It basically replaced the old rheostat. They don't have a gearbox, and whilst an SCR consumes electricity to function, they save more than they consume. :)

Your motorbike has a gearbox, and the higher gear uses less revolutions of your engine to cover the same distance, therefore, less fuel, therefore, more energy efficient. :)

Here's some more info on SCR's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon-controlled_rectifier

• Like 1

Time to buy a UPS, that should give me enough for the TV decoder and the Router. The laptop is goo for a couple of hours anyway. thumbsup.gif

If you have a house, a small generator could keep a fridge of beer cold and the TV hot!

I'm starting to get a bit fed up with these black outs and not being a " sparks" have been wondering how big a generator would have to be to run, in an average sized house, lights, couple of air con units, water pump, shower heater. What are the practicalities of installing to kick in automatically or on a manual switch it and how much would the unit cost. I keep seeing small generators in HomePro and Homeworks but have no idea what they can support.

Just interested, anyone know ?

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

I'm starting to get a bit fed up with these black outs <snip>

The number of blackouts has in my experience been greatly reduced over the years, and is very, very bearable nowadays. On top of that, if there is one, they now tend to announce them as well.

The number of blackouts has in my experience been greatly reduced over the years, and is very, very bearable nowadays. On top of that, if there is one, they now tend to announce them as well.

I'm going to agree here.

I'm pretty sure a couple years back something similar was announced, and then there was really only two or three.

Exactly. When I settled in Khao Lak in 2000, there were blackouts lasting several hours every day. Internet connectivity was so bad you had to push every individual e-mail down the line, getting the "sent" confirmation only after the fourth attempt or so. It is much, much better now. Thailand is not Denmark yet of course, but the infrastructure keeps improving over the years. Nothing to sneer about.

An hour I can deal with but several is too much. I know a British sparks on the island and will see if he can give an idea of cost ! I wonder his noisy these generators are? I'm going to be popular !

SDM

Here's a thing I learned from guys who used to setup camps in very remote places and had a generator running 24/7.

First, the obvious. Site the generator as far away from where you live as possible.

Next, dig a large hole next to where the generator will be sited. Run a hose from the generator's exhaust and place the end deep in the hole. Fill the hole with rocks and pebbles.

A very efficient silencer.

• Like 1

I brought a 1,000 watt inverter back with me from the states.

I know it will run a big refrigerator and a light or two. (fan possibly?) by running my truck on idle.

But, it is also going to have to be converted from 110 to 220V.

I brought one of those also.

I guess I'll get to find out.

I agree that power cuts are much less frequent than a few years ago.
Roads being built, dams, new power lines installed, incinerator, some of us see the glass half full. (and growing)

I brought a 1,000 watt inverter back with me from the states.

I know it will run a big refrigerator and a light or two. (fan possibly?) by running my truck on idle.

But, it is also going to have to be converted from 110 to 220V.

I brought one of those also.

I guess I'll get to find out.

I agree that power cuts are much less frequent than a few years ago.

Roads being built, dams, new power lines installed, incinerator, some of us see the glass half full. (and growing)

And don't forget a new tram system in Phuket Town. cheesy.gif