Purchase House in Thailand/Retirement VISA

I (we) will be retiring in 2-years to Thailand with my Thai National wife of 5-years.

We are considering purchasing a house in Thailand and am wondering if I should purchase it in both of our names versus to purchase the house only on my wife's name.

Advantage of both names --- so I can show for Thai Immigration purposes my financial contribution to the house (approx. $6M Baht) in support of my claim for a retirement VISA.

Advantage of only my wife's name --- probably cheaper and less complicated to take advantage of Thai National financial benefits.

Note - I am a US citizen and my wife is a Thai National and currently working on her US Citizenship (she will be a duel national both Thai & US). I previously worked in Thailand for 3-years as a US Govt employee. We were legally married in the US/never filed marriage documentation at a Thai Ampur office. My wife has not changed her Thai National status (from a Thai National to a US) thinking when we annually travel back to Thailand and retire, she will have full Thai benefits (i.e. medical, immigration,...). She has two Thai National boys from a prior marriage (6 & 8 years old). She also has a house in her name 1-hour north of Bangkok.

Question: should we purchase our Thai retirement house in only her name versus both our names? Please cite advantages/disadvantages of both.

Thanks for your reply ---

The house she currently owns is located in a 100% Thai village (no falangs). My retirement preference, which she is good with, is to have a 2nd house closer to the beach near an Expat community.

You are correct a Foreigner can't buy a house but isn't there a process where she would be a 51% owner and I would be a 49% owner through a legal arrangement?

Note - re: she dumping me once we return to Thailand. As in any marriage, either party could decide they need to separate from the other.

The OP refers, I think, to limited company ownership whereby the 51%/49% aspect comes into play. That's a possible avenue for you although it provides far less security for you since there is no ufstruct in place and you can't control the company. Note: the Land Office has cracked down on this type of ownership in recent years. Note also: you need to pay company accounting and return expenses each year.

• Like 1

"Advantage of both names --- so I can show for Thai Immigration purposes my financial contribution to the house (approx. $6M Baht) in support of my claim for a retirement VISA."

Even if you could do that, it's irrelevant.

The big requirement for getting a single entry Non O visa based on wanting to retire is the age. 50 years old. That's basically all there is to it.

For an extension at immigration, they'll want to see 800,000฿ in a bank account in your name OR 65,000฿ a month income verified by your embassy OR a combination of the two showing you have a total of 800k per year.

They won't care how much you've spent on this or that.

It's a simple process, really. For most, no strings attached. Meet the requirements and you're in.

Good luck.

Ask again before you are ready and get details.

"Re: the comment on "registering our marriage in Thailand". Why is this an issue or a concern as we thought it would be best for her to keep her Thai name?"

She can keep her Thai name. That changed many years ago.

Edited by TerryLH
  • Like 2

Re: the comment on "registering our marriage in Thailand". Why is this an issue or a concern as we thought it would be best for her to keep her Thai name?

You can register your marriage without her needing to change her name.

There no reason for her not to change her name though. It changes nothing legally.

My wife has my name because she had no choice (but she would of done it anyway) because we got married before the law was changed. It has created no problems at all for her.

• Like 1

I am retired with a Thai/US wife in Chomburi, I have lived here for over 2 years.

She is actually more US in attitude than Thai, as she lived in the States for 35 years.

On a retirement visa the amount of money you are to have in your bank account
WHEN filing is 400,000 baht, and it has to be there for 3 months when first filing.
showing the bank. For annual renewals it is still the same amount but the bank book and letter from

the bank can be substituted with a stamped letter from the US Embassy.

If you are on a married visa it is 800,000 baht. Same here on the letter from the Embassy.

We have a house in company name. Me 49%, she 40%, and a very close (not her relative) Thai friend 11 %.

I can only be out voted if the Thai friend votes with her, but I am the managing partner.
When you have a house in company name the minimum Thai partners is 2, a Thai partner can even
be a clerk at the lawyers office. Yes, we pay yearly taxes, about 25,000 baht includes lawyers fees.

The amount of money invested in a house (or condo) 5 million baht (as you say you want to spend)
does come in to consideration for something, but I forget exactly what right now.
Don't buy more house than you need, too many extra bedrooms means relative coming to live with
you and it could be permanent.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply ---

The house she currently owns is located in a 100% Thai village (no falangs). My retirement preference, which she is good with, is to have a 2nd house closer to the beach near an Expat community.

You are correct a Foreigner can't buy a house but isn't there a process where she would be a 51% owner and I would be a 49% owner through a legal arrangement?

Note - re: she dumping me once we return to Thailand. As in any marriage, either party could decide they need to separate from the other.

First,

Thai law states no contract between husband and wife is legally binding.

So any company or agreement you set up between yourselves, either of you can cancel at any time unilaterally.

If you must own a property, buy a condo in your own name. Hua Hin is nice.

Maybe you can tell the OP where he should open his bank account, where to shop, and what food to eat. I like how you are busy telling him where to live, and what to buy. Your services must be in great demand.

My advise is to register your marriage in Thailand. I did mine at Baan Rak in Bangkok, no hassles like in some other Amphurs. Should you buy a house, register an Usafruct agreement with the local land office, this will put your name on the Chanote(Not as an owner but a registrant). You should be able to obtain a yellow Tabian Baan book with this arrangement. Having the Yellow book and a happy marriage does make life easier in Thailand. I'm assuming that you both want a house to provide a good environment for her children. My first consideration in buying a house would be to provide a nice place for all of you to live in rather then as an investment.

The marriage visa financial requirements are less but it's a real hassle to obtain compared to a retirement visa.

I'm not a lawyer, just my advise so you might want to consult with one.

Happy retirement

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by prism
  • Like 1

Foreigner can't legally buy and own a house in Thailand.

Only option her name.

Disadvantage, she dumps you and keeps the house, which happens to a surprising number of foreigners with long term relationships the moment they move back to Thailand.

If she already owns a house in Thailand, why not live there?

I built my home 10 years ago before I was a Thai Citizen...100% in my name....the land was in my Wifes.

• Like 2

I am with the people who have advised you to buy in your wife's name and take a 30 year lease. As previously stated the lease is shown on the land title (chanoot) and registered at the land office.

My wife and I did this on a piece of land that we then decided to split into smaller lots, my wife went off to the land office to take care of splitting the land, the land office refused to do it unless I was present and authorised it. Proving to me that my name, as a leaseholder, on the title carried some weight and gives me some protection.

I am not worried about protecting myself from my wife, in my case I wanted to protect myself from any problems with her family should she die before me.

You do not mention how familiar you are with Thailand, again as others have suggested, I would recommend renting for a while and spending some time having a look around. Thailand is very diverse and the different areas have varying appeals, what I like you may not like and so on. I toured all over before settling where I am, I don't regret my choice and feel very settled.

Good luck with your move here, I hope that you have a happy retirement.

• Like 2

Foreigner can't legally buy and own a house in Thailand.

Only option her name.

Disadvantage, she dumps you and keeps the house, which happens to a surprising number of foreigners with long term relationships the moment they move back to Thailand.

If she already owns a house in Thailand, why not live there?

I built my home 10 years ago before I was a Thai Citizen...100% in my name....the land was in my Wifes.

"Buy" and "Build yourself" are different, and different rules apply.

When you "Buy" a house, house and land get registered in the same THAI name.

• Like 1

One question I'm not clear on here:

I'm familiar generally with the suggested approaches mentioned above about doing leases for a house and obtaining a usufruct.

But I'm also familiar with what one member posted above about Thai family/marriage law providing that any contract/legal agreement between a husband and wife can be unilaterally voided by either party, I think, at any time during the marriage or up to one year after.

So I know the lease and usufruct approach can work if executed prior to a couple getting married. And it can be used to protect a husband from relatives in the event his wife should pass away prematurely. But it's not clear to me that they're a legally binding approach if done AFTER a couple is married in Thailand, in terms of preventing a wife from taking the house from a husband.

Of course, the OP stated he was legally married in the U.S., but not yet registered the marriage here in Thailand. So I'm also not sure where that would leave the status of a lease executed here prior to the existing U.S. marriage being registered in Thailand.

• Like 2

Buy the house in her name and get the 30 year lease. The simple solution in my opinion, I've done it myself. My wife also took my surname and has been no issues whatsoever.

very simple and cheap to get is a userfruct on the property-she owns it - but the right to use it is yours, it is registered in the deed at the land office - i remember paying 180bt ?

• Like 1

There are a number of options worth considering.

At the time of the house purchase you can ask your wife to sign a contract entitling both of you to live in the property as long as you wish for the rest of your lives.

You could also ask her to make a Will leaving the house to you should she die first. As a falang you would have to apply (to the Interior Ministry if I remember rightly) for permission to sell the property and the deal would have to be completed within six months.

When the property is originally registered in your wife's name, you will have to sign a document stating that the money used is your wife's (a bare-faced lie but TIT!) and that you have no claim on the marital property. However this does NOT mean you have no rights should she subsequently "dump" you.

Thai divorce law states that all assets of a marriage acquired AFTER the marriage - irrespective of whose money was used for the purchase - should be divided equally between the parties upon divorce.

A lot of falangs erroneously believe they have NO property rights at all if they buy a house in their Thai wife's name and declare the money as hers. But at least two lawyers I have consulted on this particular question are adamant that this is not the case and have shown me evidence of falang clients who have been granted half the proceeds of the sale of a marital property bought for Thai spouses with their money. The law may seem contradictory, but it does actually offer falang husbands protection.

In the case of an uncontested divorce, you would simply need to agree between you to divide the proceeds of the marital property sale and submit an agreement to this effect along with your divorce application to the local amphur.

Problems with property division only arise where a divorce is contested. Let's imagine you one day found yourself in this unfortunate position. Obviously, if you had a "life" contract to stay in the house, your wife would not be legally able to throw you out. If you were to leave voluntarily, you would have to wait three years before filing for divorce whereas she could file within one year.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have been involved in a lot domestic legal stuff involving myself and friends and this is my understanding of the law insofar as it affects your situation. Check with the ThaiVisa free legal advice service or a qualified Thai lawyer.

Hope this helps.

The OP should brush up on the Thai citizenship laws governing his Thai national wife. The law states that if a Thai takes the citizenship of another country then they lose their rights and privileges of their Thai citizenship. So I advise that mum's the word and proper use of the 2 passports would be the new rules for this OP 's wife.

• Like 1