German embassy announces VISA problems for Tourists Visa in Thailand

The german embassy has a warning for germans in Thailand about using tourist visa from August on.

In short -it states that if someone tries to stay long time on tourist visa that they will get denied even if you come by Air.

Please check link below and make sense for yourselves. (German embassy link)

http://www.bangkok.diplo.de/Vertretung/bangkok/de/Startseite.html

Here the text in german

Änderung der thailändischen Einreisebestimmungen
Thailändische Einwanderungsbehörde ändert Einreisebestimmungen für sofortige Wiedereinreisen.

Gemäß einer Veröffentlichung der thailändischen Einwanderungsbehörde sind die Grenzkontrollstellen mit sofortiger Wirkung angewiesen, Ein- und Ausreisen durch die ein fortwährender Aufenthalt erreicht werden soll (sog. Visa-run) nicht mehr zu bewilligen. Ausnahmen sind demnach nur für touristische Zwecke möglich.

Ab August soll diese Regelung auch für Einreisen auf dem Luftweg gelten.

Edited by sedeflonga

I think you are misreading it. I don't see that it says tourist visas in a Google translate of it.

Change the Thai visa requirements
Thai immigration authority shall amend entry requirements for immediate re-entry.
According to a publication of the Thai immigration authority, the BIPs are instructed with immediate effect, and exits should be achieved by a continuing stay (so-called visa run) not to approve. Exceptions are therefore possible only for tourism purposes.

As of August this provision shall also apply to arrivals by

They though are calling visa exempt entries visas which is wrong.

Your right, my apologies, not just Tourist Visas, all visa (probably???). I wonder how they would prohibit me from entering the kingdom with an valid non immigrant visa where I have to leave the country every 90days. So I thought prolly it can only be for tourist visa.

Edited by sedeflonga

Your right, my apologies, not just Tourist Visas, all visa (probably???). I wonder how they would prohibit me from entering the kingdom with an valid non immigrant visa where I have to leave the country every 90days. So I thought prolly it can only be for tourist visa.

For non-imm visas there shouldn't be any changes. Only for visa exempt entries and perhaps many back-to-back tourist visas (5 was mentioned somewhere).

it is only for visa exempt entries. Not all visas.

If a person had a history of visa exempt entries and tourist visas they might have a problem.

For your non-o visa it will not be a problem.

If a person had a history of visa exempt entries and tourist visas they might have a problem.

Absolutely correct summary, what they stated.

Not in my opinion.

They implied it was for visas but it is not. It is about visa exempt entries. Not the same thing.

No problems with a valid visa.

"visa run" is an often misused term. though in English you have the more precise "border run" (back to back border run, out and in without a visa).

Thai immigration has invented a new wording "in-out visa run". Not really better.

100s of posts and misc threads about this in the past weeks.

The german text as such is OK and in line with Thai immigration statements, as it states "so called visa-run", but does not imply any problem with valid visa.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I think you are misreading it. I don't see that it says tourist visas in a Google translate of it.

Thai immigration authority shall amend entry requirements for immediate re-entry.
According to a publication of the Thai immigration authority, the BIPs are instructed with immediate effect, and exits should be achieved by a continuing stay (so-called visa run) not to approve. Exceptions are therefore possible only for tourism purposes.

With all respect Ubonjoe, we've been here before on this subject and you are correct that a visa exempt entry (on arrival) is not a visa but for ease of description it is just called a 'visa'. Most people I know including Thai immigration officials describe it as a visa. To be pedantic it could have been described as a VEEOA, or how about ....'we're going on a VEEOA run', but how many people would find that easy to pronounce.

Not in my opinion.

They implied it was for visas but it is not. It is about visa exempt entries. Not the same thing.

With all due respect to all, the wording of the statement of the Embassy does NOT refer to visas , nor is the word Visa (except describing the so called Visa Run) mentioned. The word used is Entry (Einreise) and it details the circumstances which may involve entry refusal.

• Like 1

What about long term visitors who uses to spend the winter in Thailand ?

Say, 3 months, one visa plus one extention. The same for several years. Could they be rejected only because they have spent the past.....10....15 winters holidays in Thailand ? It wouldn' t be smart.

To be exact it is not for ANY visa, or for any person with a visa. It is ONLY for people who enter with no visa, over and over, with the purpose of remaining in (living in Thailand). The immigration officer gets to decide.

The subject is covered very well and fully in the Visa section. But if you have any kind of visa stamped in your passport, you and your visa are not covered by this warning.

Say, 3 months, one visa plus one extention. The same for several years. Could they be rejected only because they have spent the past.....10....15 winters holidays in Thailand ? It wouldn' t be smart.

Shouldn't be a problem as they will be out of the Kingdom more than 180 days

Its only about flying in without a visa and you get a stamp of 30 days in the passport.

Known as a Visa Waiver Stamp or VWS if you like.

Many confuse this with "Visa on arrival" which is totally different.

I was just given to understand by the Thai embassy in the Netherlands that it is a requirement for multiple non-immigrant visa(O) for one year (which I customarily get) to BUY THE RETURNTICKET TO THE NETHERLANDS IN THAILAND.

That would mean an extremely expensive one-way ticket to Thailand, and equally so back to Holland.

Does anyone have further information on this?

So i am about to travel to LOS 3 times in the next 5 months each trip will be about 6weeks, all will be on 60 days tourist visa...i assume all be ok at immigration on arrivae...??...

what about if on one of these trips i come on , i forgo the 6 wk tourist visa and i enter on a visa on arrival stay about 3 wks then go visit Bali and back to Bkk ( taking the GF for a trip ) and get another VOA.. u reckon i will get in ???.

I have many Imm O and tourist visas in the passport, the odd VOA over the last 5 years..

Edited by fabphil

So i am about to travel to LOS 3 times in the next 5 months each trip will be about 6weeks, all will be on 60 days tourist visa...i assume all be ok at immigration on arrivae...??...

what about if on one of these trips i come on , i forgo the 6 wk tourist visa and i enter on a visa on arrival stay about 3 wks then go visit Bali and back to Bkk ( taking the GF for a trip ) and get another VOA.. u reckon i will get in ???.

I have many Imm O and tourist visas in the passport, the odd VOA over the last 5 years..

You should not have any problem using tourist visas for your travel plans.

Even the one using a 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a VOA you don't qualify for one) into the country and then then a short trip out and returning for a new entry will not be a problem.

• Like 1

The lesson here isn't whether or not the German Embassy got it right. My guess is that this is just the leading edge of the bow wave of uncertainty and concern over perceived arbitrariness we might be seeing as August approaches. A traveler should have access to clear, objective, published criteria that tell him, quite simply, whether he can and will be admitted or not.

If you want to say that this is the way many other countries, including the US, are with their immigration enforcement, I can't argue with that. But if I wanted to damage my reputation as an international holiday destination, this is one way I might go about doing it. If you're going to have a visa exempt program, then have it. If you want to put a limit of 3in six months or a year or whatever, then put it in writing. The same for all other aspects of this "immigration crackdown". But turning immigration officers into hyper-suspicious Inspector Clouseaus demanding who knows what proof of non-residence and non-employment, and empowered, encouraged, possibly even under orders to apply subjective standards and act on mere hunches to turn back arriving travelers is most certainly NOT an approach that'll keep them out of the world news and off embassy warning pages.

• Like 2

No problem for this type of tourist.

I was just given to understand by the Thai embassy in the Netherlands that it is a requirement for multiple non-immigrant visa(O) for one year (which I customarily get) to BUY THE RETURNTICKET TO THE NETHERLANDS IN THAILAND.

That would mean an extremely expensive one-way ticket to Thailand, and equally so back to Holland.

Does anyone have further information on this?

I suspect that you misunderstood the information you were given. Certainly, the embassy will not reject your visa application for the reason that you have a return airline ticket.

With all respect Ubonjoe, we've been here before on this subject and you are correct that a visa exempt entry (on arrival) is not a visa but for ease of description it is just called a 'visa'. Most people I know including Thai immigration officials describe it as a visa. To be pedantic it could have been described as a VEEOA, or how about ....'we're going on a VEEOA run', but how many people would find that easy to pronounce.

"...for ease of description it is just called a 'visa'"

Which leads to a great deal of confusion. How difficult can it be to differentiate, when speaking or writing, between a visa exempt entry or an entry made with a visa or (the relatively rare) visa on arrival. It is not being pedantic if rules and regulations regarding visa exempt entries are a whole different matter from those for entries with visas. The fairly simple difference is that you (maybe) granted permission to stay in Thailand in one case after presenting a visa to immigrations and in another case without a visa.

If anything, this thread proves that.

Edited by Suradit69

Maestro:

For new applications it is (very new, only this year!) required to hand in a "travel plan" if you want to come back to Thailand several times in a year (I.e. a non-o- visa). It very clearly states : " I declare that I buy my return ticket to the Netherlands in Thailand". This is something one has to endorse with a signature, otherwise: no visa wil be issued, at least not in Amsterdam.

How can I misunderstand this declaration?

Not in my opinion.

They said 'visa-runs' and meant visa-exempt entries.

Ausnahmen sind demnach nur für touristische Zwecke möglichExceptions are [entries for] tourist purposes.

Not well framed, they are talking about a tourist visa. Non-O, etc., is not mentioned.

Ein- und Ausreisen durch die ein fortwährender Aufenthalt erreicht werden soll

... departure and re-entry to achieve a long term stay in Thailand ...

By visa exempt

Edited by kdrayong

Maestro:

For new applications it is (very new, only this year!) required to hand in a "travel plan" if you want to come back to Thailand several times in a year (I.e. a non-o- visa). It very clearly states : " I declare that I buy my return ticket to the Netherlands in Thailand". This is something one has to endorse with a signature, otherwise: no visa wil be issued, at least not in Amsterdam.

How can I misunderstand this declaration?

Thank you for this additional information about "It". First you said that you were "given to understand", now you say that "It clearly states", suggesting that it is something that you saw or were given in writing. Therefore, there was clearly no room for a misunderstanding on your part.

If "It" is something you read on a web page of the embassy, it would be appreciated if you posted the link to that page; if it is a document you were given, a scanned copy would be nice. It might help us understand in what context you are being asked to make that declaration.

Too curious to wait, I hunted for "It" myself and found this on the download page of the Royal Thai Honarary Consulate General in Amsterdam:

Both forms include the following text:
note 1*
I declare that I buy my returnticket to the Netherlands in Thailand.
note 2*