Thai Driving Test

I hold a full UK driver's licence and I'm thinking of getting a Thai driving licence. However, I'm red/green colour blind. Red/green colour-blindness test is not part of the UK test but I hear it is part of the Thai test. Will this prevent me from passing the Thai test or do I need a doctor's note to say I'm OK to drive? Advice much appreciated - especially if you've faced this situation. Cheers.

so am I, and never had a problem with the colour test they gave me at Rayong when I got mine, however if they give you the Ishihara test you will obviously fail that test...

All they had at Rayong was a big poster with lots of different large coloured dots on it, they pointed at it with a stick and you told them the colour, it was not problem

wow i wouldnt like to be near you at rafic lights,,,lol

cant see red or green,,lol

answer to your question yes there is red and green involed,

In my defense I can drive a car better than 95% of them on the roads in Thailand...tongue.png

I can actually see Red & green on their own, its when those colours are mixed in with other colours eg the Ishihara test, the problems start...biggrin.png

It really dashed my hopes of ever becoming a NASA astronaut...laugh.png

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

In my defense I can drive a car better than 95% of them on the roads in Thailand...tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.JwCxzAWj6x.png

I can actually see Red & green on their own, its when those colours are mixed in with other colours eg the Ishihara test, the problems start...biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

It really dashed my hopes of ever becoming a NASA astronaut..

Soutpeel - I'm exactly the same, I can see red and I can see green so traffic lights aren't a problem. The only problem arises with the Ishihara test. As males are far more prone to this form than females, is the number of taxi drivers who ignore a red light an indication that this issue is ignored? As for me, I cannot fly a commercial airliner or drive a train, two of my boyhood dreams.

In my defense I can drive a car better than 95% of them on the roads in Thailand...tongue.png

I can actually see Red & green on their own, its when those colours are mixed in with other colours eg the Ishihara test, the problems start...biggrin.png

It really dashed my hopes of ever becoming a NASA astronaut...laugh.png

Or a Ships Officer....but then again, you probably could...going on some we have to accept. They're asleep on duty most of the time, so no need for colours.biggrin.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so am I, and never had a problem with the colour test they gave me at Rayong when I got mine, however if they give you the Ishihara test you will obviously fail that test...

All they had at Rayong was a big poster with lots of different large coloured dots on it, they pointed at it with a stick and you told them the colour, it was not problem

If it wasn't a problem then you're not seriously colour blind. Doesn't matter which test they use, if you have a problem distinguishing between red and green (as most colour blind people do) you will likely fail them all.

Edited by giddyup

I'm colour blind and failed the first test I did at Pattaya. The second time I had my Thai partner stand behind me and whisper the colours as the guy pointed to them. Don't know what I'll do when my 5 years is up because they only allow the people being tested into the room where the test is conducted now. Unfortunately, there is just no way to fake a colour test.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In my defense I can drive a car better than 95% of them on the roads in Thailand... alt=tongue.png>

I can actually see Red & green on their own, its when those colours are mixed in with other colours eg the Ishihara test, the problems start... alt=biggrin.png>

It really dashed my hopes of ever becoming a NASA astronaut... alt=laugh.png>

Or a Ships Officer....but then again, you probably could...going on some we have to accept. They're asleep on duty most of the time, so no need for colours. alt=biggrin.png>

It also prevented me from joining the Fire Brigade.

So, seems to be the usual case in Thailand depending on where you go for the test. Some do a true colour blind test, some just flash lights or point with sticks at coloured dots. I guess I need to find out the places to avoid!

AFAIK they all do the colour test. Pointing with a stick at coloured dots IS a colour test, just one kind. If you are truly colour blind it won't matter which one they give you.

In my defense I can drive a car better than 95% of them on the roads in Thailand...tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.JwCxzAWj6x.png

I can actually see Red & green on their own, its when those colours are mixed in with other colours eg the Ishihara test, the problems start...biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

It really dashed my hopes of ever becoming a NASA astronaut..

Soutpeel - I'm exactly the same, I can see red and I can see green so traffic lights aren't a problem. The only problem arises with the Ishihara test. As males are far more prone to this form than females, is the number of taxi drivers who ignore a red light an indication that this issue is ignored? As for me, I cannot fly a commercial airliner or drive a train, two of my boyhood dreams.

Thats strang because i did the test perfectly and can distinguish all colours ,yet i cant fly a commercial aircraft or drive a train either.smile.png

In Nong khai were I took my test they use replica traffic lights so very easy I thought, until they started randomly flashing the bottom light as red and the top as green. I ended up having to retake the test as my brain was used to seeing the colours in the normal location.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.