renew your retirement extension,on the immigrations website,simple and

easy,just mark on the calender 100 day before so you can get an appointment,

Its your choice to pay for a service you can easily do yourself,like you i am

retired so time is not a factor.

regards worgeordie

Like wise.

OP appears to be an ad for a visa company

• Like 1

Maybe someone could compute cost per hour of time saved. Say he paid 10,000 THB and saved a total of 8 hours of time during the course of the year that would be 1250 thb per hour....

I'm new at Long-Stay, got the original in DC, and did my 90 first 90 day report.....was a lot easier than any trip I've ever made for MVD or DMV in America, that's for sure. I hear all these complaints about lack of parking at Immigration; took a songtaew to Central, cut through the mall, bought a 12 THB ice-cream cone at "Daily Queen" and still had some left upon my arrival to Immigration, where I was second n line. A lot of folks insist on starting their "battle" first thing in the morning, right when they open, and I think there are just too many doing that. Take advantage of the lulls in the afternoon.

• Like 2

Uh! Yet another banal debate about whether it is wiser and smarter to invest THB 10K in a visa agent once a year or to calculate in advance, 100 days in advance, to the hour, and to try and get an appointment booked online at Immigration and do it yourself.

Savings, advantages, cost benefit, I come down on the side of the online system but you need to be slightly smart to use it to your advantage, if you're not, use an agent. laugh.png

EDIT: you see what I mean. sad.png

Edited by chiang mai

Well little old me would rather pay Assist Thai Visa then visit the ZOO.

And I am not a well off person, I have enough and my sanity is more important then the B6,500 I fork out for renewal and 90 day.

john

• Like 1

Yes, I thought you had to go in person for the visa extension. 90 day reports, not a problem, someone else can do, but right there on the back of the T.M. 7 form, "Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom" it says "Application must be made in person"

Other visa agents arrange to meet you at Immigration where you talk to the Immigration officer together with your visa agent. That's what Assist Thai Visa used to do, too. This "don't have to set foot in Immigration" service seems to be new.

FolkGuitar are you infirm or handicapped to where you had a doctor's letter (with a hospital stamp) and Assist Thai visa was able to present a Power of Attorney with authority to act on your behalf as a third party?

How can you be certain that you have a genuine extension stamp? Was it issued in Chiang Mai province? It should have a number, written in ink in the upper left corner that looks like this xxxx/57 with 57 being this year. You should be able to go to any police station and have them run the number to confirm that it is a valid visa extension.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Like wise.

OP appears to be an ad for a visa company

Rubbish he is just reporting how easy it was for him to renew his visa using his chosen visa company.

I'm currently looking at various visa options and value his positive post.

Really, just how many threads have there been on this subject?

Options, do it yourself with a little effort and cost.

Or pay an agent,there are more than one agencies- I think?

And I am not a well off person, I have enough and my sanity is more important then the B6,500 I fork out for renewal and 90 day.

john

So if I am understanding you correctly; the 6500 covers the annual extension interview and the three 90 day check -ins? And then don't you pay 1900 extra for the extension annually? Did you just give bank account info to agent or did you go to your bank and get the letter OR did you go to the consulate and swear you make 65000 thb per month and paid them 1500 Thb? Details, details, details............

A lot of us aren't averse to "paying for it"....(lol), but we would like to know exactly what they extra costs are. Some say "I pay an agent 10,000 per year, and never step foot in immigration is a bit misleading...because the visas and the letters aren't free to begin with, and I've heard of people getting the run-around on the medical certificate, as well as the bank letter.....including someone, who went to RAM for the medical certificate....meanwhile many on here have stated they can go in about any clinic and get the letter for 50-100 thb.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

Did the rules change again? Rhys at assist thai visa told me that they could no longer take just the passport copies to immigration for the 90 day reports, they had to take the passports. I decided that rather than go to their office twice instead of going to immigration once I would do my own 90 day reports. I did so in about 5 minutes. Having said that, I liked having ATV do it for me and the price was reasonable at 1500 baht.

Maybe someone could compute cost per hour of time saved. Say he paid 10,000 THB and saved a total of 8 hours of time during the course of the year that would be 1250 thb per hour....

I'm new at Long-Stay, got the original in DC, and did my 90 first 90 day report.....was a lot easier than any trip I've ever made for MVD or DMV in America, that's for sure. I hear all these complaints about lack of parking at Immigration; took a songtaew to Central, cut through the mall, bought a 12 THB ice-cream cone at "Daily Queen" and still had some left upon my arrival to Immigration, where I was second n line. A lot of folks insist on starting their "battle" first thing in the morning, right when they open, and I think there are just too many doing that. Take advantage of the lulls in the afternoon.

When you are retired you don't get paid by the hour. Money per hour into your pocket is immaterial you already have it. Money out of your pocket to some means nothing as they all ready have more than enough and don't particularly like the process involved.

I have even seen complaints not about the process but the waiting room was full. They didn't mind the process. To each their own. I pay a tuck tuck to take me there and get the free shuttle from the mall home. I have as yet been able to make an appointment surprise surprise 10 appointments a day and 60 people processed a day. Yet to regret the wait. Like other retirees I have nothing else to do on that day. If I did I would change and go to an earlier date. I am fortunate that I enjoy reading so a book can entertain me for hours. Also if it is obviously a long wait I can take the time to go for a walk or a meal. Or on one occasion was told to come back in the afternoon. Which was fine with me as I came in late expecting to be told to come back tomorrow. But it was on the way to Macro in Hong Dang so I thought why not try.

Once again I say to each their own. I will respond to a thread on it with my experience but dammed if I will start one.

The real reason I opened this thread to see if there was any thing on it about the rumored move.

• Like 2

I used Assist Thaivisa and my experience was the same as FolkGuitar's.

I signed many forms and I do believe a Power of Attorney was one.

Cost between 5500 and 6500 THB to ATV, plus Immigration's fees, less that the cost of dinner for two in LA.

In my case I received a multiple re-entry permit as well. I have left and entered Thailand twice since getting this extension, with Immigration doing their thing at BKK and DMK, so I am sure it is a valid visa extension and reentry permit and never doubted that.

The forms I signed were in Thai and I did not read them, just like everyone who gets the visa extension at Immigration, with or without appointment.

We could all be signing confessions to kidnapping the Lindbergh baby. We would never know.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

I find it interesting that some posters think that people that use an agency to get their extensions are not as smart as themselves. Sounds like a narrow minded view. I think it is quite possible people that use an agency might be doing it for a reason other than they are not smart enough to make an appointment or just go in to Immigration.

Boasting that you didn't have to go in to Immigration office to sign will excite and incite the "smarter" people to complain and then you may not be able to do it in this manner in the future. When people complained about paying for getting a residence letter from Immigration, then Immigration stopped issuing them, people complained that they weren't able to get them.

As for "applying in person", Immigration officials can probably make a decision whether it is required or not, no matter what is printed on the form.

• Like 1

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Personally I find that to spend no more that five minutes doing my 90 day and twenty minutes for my visa extension is less inconvenience than having my haircut. I simply do not need to spend thousands of baht to line the pockets of an assistance service and the person with whom they have an arrangement. Freedom of choice is what it is all about, until I find that I am being negatively affected by those using "special arrangements".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Really, just how many threads have there been on this subject?

Options, do it yourself with a little effort and cost.

Or pay an agent,there are more than one agencies- I think?

^^^^^^^^slam dunkbiggrin.pngclap2.gif ,this topic has been fluffed to deathsmile.png now who ever is the geezer handing out the gold stars,get a grip of yourself, and award this post onebiggrin.pngclap2.gif

Edited by evenstevens

Cost between 5500 and 6500 THB to ATV, plus Immigration's fees, less that the cost of dinner for two in LA.

In my case I received a multiple re-entry permit as well. I have left and entered Thailand twice since getting this extension, with Immigration doing their thing at BKK and DMK, so I am sure it is a valid visa extension and reentry permit and never doubted that.

The forms I signed were in Thai and I did not read them, just like everyone who gets the visa extension at Immigration, with or without appointment.

We could all be signing confessions to kidnapping the Lindbergh baby. We would never know.

Hi mesquite, You signed Power of attorney forms !, does that cover your bank accounts?

You also signed several forms that were in Thai,that you could not read! you must be a

very trusting person,or .........

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

john

So if I am understanding you correctly; the 6500 covers the annual extension interview and the three 90 day check -ins? And then don't you pay 1900 extra for the extension annually? Did you just give bank account info to agent or did you go to your bank and get the letter OR did you go to the consulate and swear you make 65000 thb per month and paid them 1500 Thb? Details, details, details............

A lot of us aren't averse to "paying for it"....(lol), but we would like to know exactly what they extra costs are. Some say "I pay an agent 10,000 per year, and never step foot in immigration is a bit misleading...because the visas and the letters aren't free to begin with, and I've heard of people getting the run-around on the medical certificate, as well as the bank letter.....including someone, who went to RAM for the medical certificate....meanwhile many on here have stated they can go in about any clinic and get the letter for 50-100 thb.

Medical certificate?

Hi mesquite, You signed Power of attorney forms !, does that cover your bank accounts?

You also signed several forms that were in Thai,that you could not read! you must be a

very trusting person,or .........

regards Worgeordie

I am trusting. When you sign the forms at Immigration, do you read them? Does anyone? The Power of Attorney form was also in Thai. They told me what it was.

Edited by mesquite

You could have also made an appointment 100 days before you want to

Well.... I tried that. 100 days before my visa was set to expire I tried to make an appointment, and there were NO AVAILABLE SLOTS. It's a good system but it doesn't always work.

So I chose my next alternative;

I used the services of Visa Assist Thailand. I was told at the time when I first talked with them that the requirements seemed to change from month to month regarding the need for me to appear in person. When I was there asking for information, at that time it WAS required that I show up, but I was told I'd only need to be there for less than five minutes. A month later when I returned to do the actual renewal, it WAS NOT required.

As far as costs went, my condominium office gave me a letter if residence for free.

I already had a bunch of passport pictures that I printed out myself on a page with 20 photos. Let's call that free as well, although there will be some here who will insist on figuring in the price of ink per page and dividing by 20.

The agency fee for a renewal is 5,500 baht. The charged another 200 baht to get the letter from my bank showing my balance.

I hired them to handle the 90-day reports for the year as well. That cost 1,000 baht (1,500 if you do it separately from other services.)

I walked from my building near Hillside 4 to their office on Chiangmai Land Rd, so no cost for gas or selor. I like to walk.

The only other costs were the Immigration Office charges, I believe were 1,900 for a renewal.

To me, the expense is worth it. 8,000 baht is going to be a hardship, you probably don't have enough income to remain in the country anyway. If you simply don't want to spend 8,000 baht, and wish to deal with Immigration yourself... well... this is what makes horse racing. Everyone has their own preferences. Neither way is better than the other. Simply different.

Knowing several people who have used their services gave me the confidence that the Immigration franking would be genuine. These friends have been in and out of the Kingdom many times, and Immigration never questioned their visas. My wife used their services for her last visa, and she too has been in and out of the Kingdom several times since. No problems.

• Like 2

Well.... I tried that. 100 days before my visa was set to expire I tried to make an appointment, and there were NO AVAILABLE SLOTS. It's a good system but it doesn't always work.

I used the services of Visa Assist Thailand. I was told at the time when I first talked with them that the requirements seemed to change from month to month regarding the need for me to appear in person. When I was there asking for information, at that time it WAS required that I show up, but I was told I'd only need to be there for less than five minutes. A month later when I returned to do the actual renewal, it WAS NOT required.

As far as costs went, my condominium office gave me a letter if residence for free.

I already had a bunch of passport pictures that I printed out myself on a page with 20 photos. Let's call that free as well, although there will be some here who will insist on figuring in the price of ink per page and dividing by 20.

The agency fee for a renewal is 5,500 baht. The charged another 200 baht to get the letter from my bank showing my balance.

I hired them to handle the 90-day reports for the year as well. That cost 1,000 baht (1,500 if you do it separately from other services.)

I walked from my building near Hillside 4 to their office on Chiangmai Land Rd, so no cost for gas or selor. I like to walk.

The only other costs were the Immigration Office charges, I believe were 1,900 for a renewal.

To me, the expense is worth it. 8,000 baht is going to be a hardship, you probably don't have enough income to remain in the country anyway. If you simply don't want to spend 8,000 baht, and wish to deal with Immigration yourself... well... this is what makes horse racing. Everyone has their own preferences. Neither way is better than the other. Simply different.

Knowing several people who have used their services gave me the confidence that the Immigration franking would be genuine. These friends have been in and out of the Kingdom many times, and Immigration never questioned their visas. My wife used their services for her last visa, and she too has been in and out of the Kingdom several times since. No problems.

with respect both your posts come over as a sales pitch, with out going into the pros and cons,for or against (already discussed at great length)

it comes down to the following two decisions

A/..engage a agent ( or agency) no shortage these days

or

B/ a D.I.Y.. assignment which requires spending hours etc etc at the sewer immgr office

take A or B ??? thats the call as i see itsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

with respect both your posts come over as a sales pitch, with out going into the pros and cons,for or against (already discussed at great length)

Sales pitch? Nah... That's entirely up to each of us individually.

I posted my results for the people and wanted to know the details.

it's simply because the service was good. No different from someone describing a good meal at a certain restaurant. The only real difference is that this subject seems to get people upset if someone else chooses a different item on the menu.

again with respect

^^^^ paragraph one ...,agreed

^^^^ paragraph two,...from your o/post....no one has asked??? but u have given a recomendation of your agent on your pat malone

^^^^ paragraph three...sure your service may be good,but to coin a phrase that handing your passport in.(out of your sight) is no different to describing a good nosh at a restaurant etc etc, gosh that is a statement..

summing up your appraisal,of your agent ,the red flags would be up(with me),when you do not have appear personally at the immgr office to collect your p/port, to my knowledge this is a firm rule unless u have supported medical reasons etc etc that u cannot do so,..

but as my last post says, its either a agent or a D.I.Y. assignment, take your pick

john

If you've been in the habit of supplying a medical certificate in support of either your annual applications for the extension of your "permission to stay" in the Kingdom or your quarterly ninety day reports to Thai Immigration, then I'm afraid that it's you who's been given "the run-around".

Seeing as how you're not "averse to 'paying for it'.....(lol)", you might be one of those who would be well advised to seek professional assistance.

• Like 1

It is exactly 90 days from now that i must renew my one year retirement visa. The online Q is full up from here to eternity. That means I'll just show up a day or so ahead and take my chances, OR...do as Mr. Folk Guitar did and use a service. I must say, it is tempting, but I'll probably just go in like I always have, and get it over with. It has become an annual pilgrimage.

I just want to say I appreciate FG giving us this information. I certainly didn't know that one could do this, although I did know about the yearly signup for having a service do your 90 day reports. That doesn't seem all that worthwhile, since you still have to drop off and pick up your passport at the agency. That would take more time than showing up on an afternoon, where the in and out has never taken me more than one hour.

This past Thursday I was assisting a good friend from the States who just moved here on the 4th of May to get his retirement visa by riding with him as he went through the steps. First stop was U.S. Consulate (had an appointment) for his income statement, next I took him to immigration so he would know where it was when he goes to get in line to get his visa the next day. So while showing him the office we decided to save time and get his photos and copies done at the place behind the office. So he would have everything he needed to get in line the next day. (passport and copies, income statement, copies of his house lease and a filled out TM-87). It was 2:45 in the afternoon and on a whim he said I want to try to go in now and see if they will do it now. I said to him they most likely with laugh at you and tell you to come back at 6 AM to get in line. Well he went in and asked, to my surprise the guy at the center desk, looked over his papers and have him a a number. I looked at the board over the desk and saw his number was next. Within 30 minutes we were out of there with his retirement visa. Totally amazed. By the way, they said no need for health form or background check for people applying from within Thailand.

• Like 1