Duty on household belongings and piano

nathan christian

Hi,

I will be shipping or hopefully crossing the land border with my household contents from Malaysia. Most of my belongings are the usual household items. However, I do have a full size, upright piano. I wondered if this would be liable for an increased rate of duty or could it just pass through as normal household things.

I'm not sure yet if I will have a work permit or an ED visa. I realise with a work permit i would be allowed to import used household goods tax free but unsure of the piano.

If I have the ED visa i have been told I will be liable for duty but this may not amount to much, again unsure what duty i would have on the household goods and again the piano. Can anybody provide any info with experiences on duty paid when shipping a container of household goods to Bangkok. I read various posts saying push bikes are taxable so I would probably take them in a pick-up through the border.

Thanks for any advice,

Nathan

Use a well connected incoming shipping co. like Crown Relocaters and give them the job of bringing all in. Piano is household goods, not here for resale nor to earn money from. Please do not ask anyway.

"You are about to have a job." TIT

CharlesHH What do you mean , "please do not ask" "you are about to have a job - TIT ?

Actually I said, "You are about to have a job" TIT.

An unscrupulous person could tell the shipper what is in quotes. As Nixon said, Of course that would be wrong.

I've been looking at various ways of staying in the country without all the hassle of border runs. I don"t have a job in Thailand nor do I intend getting one. I have a a Thai friend who has a business and would be prepared to give me the reqd paperwork to apply for the visa and once in the country the work permit without actually giving me a job. I would have to pay these costs and pay tax on a job I don't have. Quite an expensive option.

I have also looked at The ED visa option but was told my belongings would incur duty charges so asked what they might be?

Dressing it up with horns and a blanket is an option, not sure about shipping livestock though.

I've been looking at various ways of staying in the country without all the hassle of border runs. I don"t have a job in Thailand nor do I intend getting one. I have a a Thai friend who has a business and would be prepared to give me the reqd paperwork to apply for the visa and once in the country the work permit without actually giving me a job. I would have to pay these costs and pay tax on a job I don't have. Quite an expensive option.

I have also looked at The ED visa option but was told my belongings would incur duty charges so asked what they might be?

Dressing it up with horns and a blanket is an option, not sure about shipping livestock though.

If it moos and you got nung pan,it's a cow,baby!

Have a look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

I have a a Thai friend who has a business and would be prepared to give me the reqd paperwork to apply for the visa and once in the country the work permit without actually giving me a job. I would have to pay these costs and pay tax on a job I don't have.

This would be cheating the tax man and immigration. If you get caught you will go to jail and after that deported and blacklisted.

Well I wouldn't want that but how would it be cheating the tax man if I am paying tax, cheating Immigration I guess, which is bad enough

Because you would be exempt from import taxes if you have a work permit.

Have a look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Ah thank you for that ! I need to bring some things over and have just realised I can do it in my sons name who has been studying abroad. Timing seems to be perfect, thank you!

Have a look here:

Ah thank you for that ! I need to bring some things over and have just realised I can do it in my sons name who has been studying abroad. Timing seems to be perfect, thank you!

In your son's name? How so?