UK trip to BKK and Koh Samet

tlethere

Given the current situation is it still best advising Brits not to book up for travel in Oct?

I've been watching the news and reading the Forum, literally we were about to book 3 days BKK 10 days Koh Samet and three days BKK again just when the current situation was announced.

Oct is a long way off and people seem to be getting around OK currently, abide by curfew and be sensible seems to be the message.

Would anyone strongly advise against?

Thanks - T

Edited by tlethere

No, you should be fine, the curfew has already been relaxed and will prob be lifted by Oct.

On a side note though, i wouldn't recommend staying on Koh Samet for 10 days, unless you

have a reason to, very limited infrastructure makes it difficult to get around with very little to do apart from

staying on a beach. Koh Chang would be much better a couple hours further south.

• Like 1

Nobody can predict the future, but if this coup is like ones in the past, you'll have no problems. Assuming you avoid any protest areas!

The one time they did close the airport will probably never be allowed to repeat. It was recently tried and they intervened quickly.

I think the curfew will be either stopped or limited to particular areas pretty soon.

Also, as mentioned above, not much to do on Samet. I just got back from Koh Chang and loved it. For a great time, spend some time on Samet and some on KC!

Thanks guys. I did think it would be OK. I think every year since I first came (2006) there's been something going on but generally happens around now and is all sorted by Oct, just as tourists are starting to arrive.

To be honest all we do is laze on the beach, eat, drink, sleep etc. Its really just a chance to unwind from the stress of London. Weirdly we all enjoy the casualness and relaxed nature of the area. Generally we we get busy for three days before and three days after.

That said, going to look at Koh Chang now :-)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You wouldn't know there had been a coup here in Ban Phe, Rayong and the curfew isn't being strictly enforced (I've heard the police quietly tell you to go home plus we have stayed in 1 bar till 1:30) so I would presume it's non existent on Samet and it should be cancelled by October,