garbage/dumps

angelsephemera

I am not in Chiang Mai, so I can't say for sure. However, there are tons of recycling places here in Bangkok. I drive past 2 on the way home from work on Rama 4 Road, a very major road. I know of several others located off of back roads where I would assume most are located. We have guys who go around the neighborhoods and go through trash looking for anything they can recycle: cans, paper, bottles, metal, etc. If they see I have a couple of empty boxes of beer bottles outside, they stop and buy them from me. They give me 8 baht a box or 1 baht for 3 bottles. Obviously, they are making money from this. Some of these guys are just on bicycles, so there must be one close to my home that I don't know about. They really are everywhere.

I assume you have plenty around you that you don't know about. If you aren't interested in selling the stuff for some pocket change, just put it out on the street. They will pick it up and haul it down to the recycle place and keep all the money. It will put a smile on their face. So, the easiest solution is to put it out on the street neatly. You will find that it is gone very quickly. I once put out a tesco plastic bag full of about 8 bottles. I went back to the house to get the rest of the 'regular' trash which took less than a minute. By the time I returned, the bottles were gone with no trace of anyone picking them up! They vanished! Try it ... it works!

The OP is talking about builders rubble and rubbish that can not be recycled.Thailand does not have such a thing as an official rubbish tip . They have plenty of unofficial ones though .jUST TAKE A DRIVE AROUND YOUR AREA ,and find a field where everyone is throwing their rubbish.

• Like 1

Again, I don't know about CM. Down here in Bangkok, everything can be recycled! They will take just about anything. Really, it is shocking to see some of the stuff being offloaded when I drive by. I find it annoying because their large trucks (presumably from construction sites) block the left lane. This particular dump happens to be just before a police checkpoint where they will nail you for driving a motorbike in anything other than the left side of the far left lane. It's no problem when I am in the car, but I use the motorbike more often than the car due to traffic. That means, I am often stuck behind the stupid truck until I can determine if the BIB are just beyond where it is blocking my view. I have spent, or wasted depending on your perspective, far too much time watching them unload their contents. Just show up and drop the stuff off. Play the dumb farang card if they question you. Then, drive off with a smile!

This is a Chiang Mai thread.

Anto's advice is appalling!

In Chiang Mai (This IS, after all the Chiang Mai forum) collected garbage must be carted away in the city by municipal collectors and disposed of in a licensed landfill some 60km away. The city pays for it. Problems are indeed caused by adjacent communities. One mayor a while back complained about the number of black bags municipal garbage collectors had to pick up that were dropped along feeder roads into Chiang Mai by commuters on their way to work who did not want to pay for local pickup and disposal.

Regarding building debris and green waste, you really must expect your builder to dispose of it or, for example, mulch it.. There ARE responsible ways of doing so. Pitching it into the woods on some lonely road is not one of them.

Questions? Don't trust me. Call the city. The number is in the book. If you don't have a book, you should get one! Anyway, deal with it. It is your problem. Don't make it someone else's problem.

Edited by Mapguy

In Chiang Mai (This IS, after all the Chiang Mai forum) collected garbage must be carted away in the city by municipal collectors and disposed of in a licensed landfill some 60km away. The city pays for it. Problems are indeed caused by adjacent communities. One mayor a while back complained about the number of black bags municipal garbage collectors had to pick up that were dropped along feeder roads into Chiang Mai by commuters on their way to work who did not want to pay for local pickup and disposal.

Regarding building debris and green waste, you really must expect your builder to dispose of it or, for example, mulch it.. There ARE responsible ways of doing so. Pitching it into the woods on some lonely road is not one of them.

Questions? Don't trust me. Call the city. The number is in the book. If you don't have a book, you should get one! Anyway, deal with it. It is your problem. Don't make it someone else's problem.

what book?

• Like 1

You can sell the A/C unit at the recycling places. You will get more than you think. We once took the old shock absorbers from the car after we had replaced them and were very surprised to get something like 280 Baht for them.

Recently 2 ladies came around the moobaan in a large truck looking for things to recycle. We noticed they had 3 mattresses on the truck and we stopped them and asked them if they wanted 2 more we had. We had been trying to get rid of them for years. They came inside, carried them downstairs very carefully and then loaded them on the truck with my help. I was amazed when after cutting them open, one of the ladies came and handed me 360 Baht for the 2 mattresses. She said they had people who cut them apart and they recycle the springs. She said they get good money for the springs.

Any heavy metal things bring good money recycling.

Edit: The g/f just said she thinks it was 260 for the mattresses. We can't really remember but it was more than we expected. We were going to pay someone to haul them away!

Edited by elektrified

what book?

Ever heard of a phone book??? i.e. yellow pages? They have them in every country in the world. Don't know about Belarus or North Korea but...

I believe Anto is being sarcastic and I don't blame him. Solid waste management in Chinag Mai province is very poor and much of it is caused by an uneducated and apathetic public...

He is referring to incredible roadside and open field dumping by everyone. By bicycle one sees alot more than when riding around in a car....And have come to the conclusion that he is saying the the province can be deemed a one big unregualted landfill...

Another area that needs a dramatic mind set shift by the public and responsible gov officials...

CB

• Like 2

The extreem generalizations are really out of line. Example: "roadside and open field dumping by everyone"

Yeh there is room for improvement in waste management but compared to 20 years ago there has been very significant progress made in both practice and mindset.

Angel,

Like said above, recycling places will take most objects, but not rumble.

They can already solve a large part of your problem. You find them along major roads, all with the same sign "ขายซื้อของเก่า" ("buy and sell old stuff"). You will be amazed at what you would get money for.

For the rumble, I have no information but sure you won't follow Anto's advice (hope is joking)

Methinks that many builders don't really care where the scrap and rubble goes. Imagining their disposing of it properly? I'd be amazed.

• Like 1

what book?

Ever heard of a phone book??? i.e. yellow pages? They have them in every country in the world. Don't know about Belarus or North Korea but...

Was told just recently by a Thai they don't have them. Where can I get one? Do they have street addressers in them?

Edited by northernjohn

I can't say if this site will ever be helpful to anyone, but it looks like someone was wanting to satisfy a need. Take a look. By the way, the annoying music can be turned off if you find the sound button on the site. It's near the right hand side, just under Tell Your Friend.

http://www.chiangmaibranches.com/english/index.htm

what book?

Was told just recently by a Thai they don't have them. Where can I get one? Do they have street addressers in them?

Of course they have the "yellow pages" here. There is one sitting right here on my desk. Is your account with TOT? Just walk in, give them your name and number and they will hand you a phone book.

what book?

Of course they have the "yellow pages" here. There is one sitting right here on my desk. Is your account with TOT? Just walk in, give them your name and number and they will hand you a phone book.

Have an AIS phone and true internet. Haven't seen a phone book in either one. If you have one sitting on your desk in front of you why don't you pass on the phone number of several recyclers that will take this kind of rubbish?

Try to share with us on the topic.

By the way how often do you need to get a new one to keep current with what is out there. I know where to take the old paper ones.

Everything has value.

The rubble could probably go to one of those road side sand, earth and infill shops next from the ring roads and trunk roads; loads of them. Always rubble and alsorts getting piled up and shipped out. Maybe they take it for free or give you a few bht if you drop it off.

Metal to the scrap/ recycling place.

Go ask at one and they probably come and take the lot as know where they can get good cash off it.

Dante99,

Grabage is everywhere...open fields, roadsides, by ponds, by lake and canals, in villages, in back lots, you name it...

It's terrible and a disgrace..not proud of their environment at all. If it was one part of town or a specific type of garbage, but it is isn't...

Yard waste, construction waste, regular trash, litter everywhere especially plastic....What city/province policies do they have about plastic reduction? Yet to be asked about by a 7-11 clerk if you need a bag. It's automatic for them yet 7-11 totes their waste reduction efforts and clerks asking you if you need a bag...

Whereever there have people or people have access, there is dumping and garbage...

I don't get this comparison of 20 years ago...always a good excuse to hide behind....

The attitude towards unregualed or regulated garbage is apathy. Almost zero effective effort in shopping center recycling. Look nside any pulic recycling bin (if you can find one) and it's full of garbage...

Show me the strides that they have made in waste management?..Show me any moobaan with an effective recyling/waste reduction program that could be used as a model?

Just a piss poor efffort out there. All one sees is a bunch of guys on a garbage truck sorting by hand b/c home owners, business owners are just too lazy to do source reduction and separatiion at the point of gewneration...

They advetised about a big recycling program at 3 monuments a few years back and it was a joke....

All these moobanns recently have tried to jump on the green movement by putting environmentism in ther names by it's all show and no substance. Go ask their mgt to describe their enviromental or recycling programs or what green building materials or energy conservation programs they have in place? How many water resistent gardens do you see being put in by the builders? Grass continues to be their mainstay....

Very little change in attitudes and behaviors in my ten years in CM other than latching on to "green marketing"...

The savengers have always been around but driven by pure micro economic reasons...

If I observed a meaningful program or practices, I would say so. It's still 3rd world attitude and behavior...

And we didn't even address regulated wastes....

CB

• Like 1

Dante99,

Grabage is everywhere...open fields, roadsides, by ponds, by lake and canals, in villages, in back lots, you name it...

It's terrible and a disgrace..not proud of their environment at all. If it was one part of town or a specific type of garbage, but it is isn't...

Yard waste, construction waste, regular trash, litter everywhere especially plastic....What city/province policies do they have about plastic reduction? Yet to be asked about by a 7-11 clerk if you need a bag. It's automatic for them yet 7-11 totes their waste reduction efforts and clerks asking you if you need a bag...

Whereever there have people or people have access, there is dumping and garbage...

I don't get this comparison of 20 years ago...always a good excuse to hide behind....

The attitude towards unregualed or regulated garbage is apathy. Almost zero effective effort in shopping center recycling. Look nside any pulic recycling bin (if you can find one) and it's full of garbage...

Show me the strides that they have made in waste management?..Show me any moobaan with an effective recyling/waste reduction program that could be used as a model?

Just a piss poor efffort out there. All one sees is a bunch of guys on a garbage truck sorting by hand b/c home owners, business owners are just too lazy to do source reduction and separatiion at the point of gewneration...

They advetised about a big recycling program at 3 monuments a few years back and it was a joke....

All these moobanns recently have tried to jump on the green movement by putting environmentism in ther names by it's all show and no substance. Go ask their mgt to describe their enviromental or recycling programs or what green building materials or energy conservation programs they have in place? How many water resistent gardens do you see being put in by the builders? Grass continues to be their mainstay....

Very little change in attitudes and behaviors in my ten years in CM other than latching on to "green marketing"...

The savengers have always been around but driven by pure micro economic reasons...

If I observed a meaningful program or practices, I would say so. It's still 3rd world attitude and behavior...

CB

I certainly do not find garbage "everywhere".

I travel some small roads in San Sai and find the roadsides clean, fields and villages clean. Most village people in that area recycle their plastic, glass, paper and metal sand there is certainly not dumping everywhere people have access.

So your repeated statement "everywhere" is simply not true.

There are a lot of recycling business in all parts of the province making money.

• Like 2

Dante99,

CB

I certainly do not find garbage "everywhere".

I travel some small roads in San Sai and find the roadsides clean, fields and villages clean. Most village people in that area recycle their plastic, glass, paper and metal sand there is certainly not dumping everywhere people have access.

So your repeated statement "everywhere" is simply not true.

There are a lot of recycling business in all parts of the province making money.

I agree with CB. Dead end lanes leading to fields are a usual favourite for dumping. Irrigation canals, around irrigation ponds etc etc. If you get off the beaten path you will find tons of garbage. More noticeable when you cycle sad.png

Head up Doi Suthep to the temple & Ban Doi Pui village. Garbage just dumped in the jungle sad.png

Let me explain what I mean by "everywhere". There is a randomness, widespread and comprehensiveness to the distribution of litter and dumping. Gepgraphically (north south east, etc), by type of location (roadside, waterways, open land, parks, temples, villages, main/small roads/sois, etc) and type of garbage (construction, household, green,,durable, commercial, mixed,etc)....

Sure, one can find clean sois, roads, a park, a field, a temple, whatever here and there, but contamination is close by...

If one did a scatterplot overlay by geography and location, all four quadrants would be contaminated. One can hypothesize and say it's widespread, comprehensive and random = everywhere (no specific pattern to it as all major sectors of the society contributes to general area contamination...

Chiang Mai has significant litter and dumping issues across the board...much more difficult to conduct an intervention program to reduce/prevent vs one area or one type of waste...

If proper studies would be conducted, they would conclude garbage is everywhere in CM....

CB.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, any update on this topic?

I've got to do a clean out of the GF's sisters house in a Moo Bahn in San Sai Noi, which is on the 118 heading north towards Doi Saket.

I am aware of the recycling places and the services they offer.

The kind of stuff i have is yard & tree clippings, various debris and waste, and even old cupoards and the like.

Would prefer a landfill/refuse station close to the 118 if anyone knows of anywhere?

With thanks.

• 1 month later...

Any updates here? I'm in the same area (San Sai, Doi Saket) and I need to get rid of some large items too. Is there a dump nearby? The local recycling guys don't take stuff like ancient knackered furniture...

Unfortunately my research led to nothing.

Apparently a yard sale is a good way to get rid of things, even if you think your items are worthless (or close to).