Cold Weather Clothes

KarenBravo

Am going somewhere very cold on my next job. My entire wardrobe consists of T-shirts and shorts with a few long trousers.

I need to get sweat-shirts and thick lumber-jack style shirts, wooly socks, that kinda stuff.

Anywhere in Phuket I might try?

I don't know how much cold weather experience you have, so think these as general advices.

- Local shops most likely do not understand what really cold is. It might be best to buy the clothes at your destination. They know what you really need.

- Dress in layers. Later on it's easy to drop some layers away in case it's not so cold anymore.

- Protect the head, most of the heat escapes from the head.

- If you need to do physical activities, get some Coretex or similar clothes which will let your sweat/moisture escape.

- Minus 20 celsius and -20 celsius with wind are two very different environments.

And.. after a while your body will form insulative brown fat under your skin. Then it's time to enjoy the chilly weather like the locals do.

meanwhile-in-finland-cup-of-tea.jpg

You could try the boat shops.

I belive oilinki meant "Gore-Tex" not "Coretex." Very good clothing - but not cheap.

Also, and this is not meant as a joke, I have seen the Indian suit tailors here with thick trench coats and leather jackets for sale. You could get some items made up, if you can't find anything off the shelf here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Last time (about six months ago) I was in Expo (across the road from the "Uptown" restaurant) in Phuket Town, there was at least one shop selling warm clothes. I remember 'cause I though it was rather odd.

You'll need to keep walking around the place until you find it; if it's still there!

Why not just buy when you get there? Probably better quality and cheaper than anything you could buy in Thailand, and also give you more room in your baggage.

Because, I'm going offshore. More than likely, it will be airport to ship with no time spent in a town. Or, if I do spend a night in a town, it could be late when I arrive when all the shops are shut.

You could try the large sports shop on the top floor of Central, as they carry a range of outdoor clothes (fleeces, goretex jackets for hill walking/camping etc, ideal for being in transit. My wife and I did a December holiday in the Chiang Mai hills a few years ago (quite cold at night that time of year there, frost on the ground in the morning), and she got her kit from that shop.

KB: What is the expected temperature where you'll be going? Offhsore means that there will be wind and moisture. It's pretty much the most harsh conditions you can find.

If the temperature is a bit above zero, lower quality clothes will become wet which means that you'll be freezing. If the temperature is below zero, the ice can build up to the clothes restricting your movements.

Best is to ask what the others, who are already there, are wearing. Buying clothes from Phuket sounds a bit like going to sail the Atlantic with an dinghy.

Last time (about six months ago) I was in Expo (across the road from the "Uptown" restaurant) in Phuket Town, there was at least one shop selling warm clothes. I remember 'cause I though it was rather odd.

You'll need to keep walking around the place until you find it; if it's still there!

I have bought some things there. Cheap and not exactly high quality though, sounds to me KB needs something that will last him at least for the duration of the assignment. And the Expo stuff will not do that.