What will Phuket be like in 5-10 years from now?

simon43

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what happens when the army leaves.

Doomsayer.

Definitely. From experience, not by choice.

No doubt they are all just marking time until all this blows over then back to business as usual. Sadly, that is the most likely outcome.
  • Like 1

As far as the beaches are concerned, I can't see any of the big players spending money on illegally structures again. A few huts might spring up, but wouldn't last long.

The criminal Tuk Tuk guys are still showing signs of non acceptance, and are likely to be recalcitrant after martial law ends, although much could depend on charges laid and sentences served now.

Optimistically, I don't think the army will do all the hard work over the next 15 months to bring a happier, fairer country ,and then walk away without leaving systems in place to thwart people trying to revert to their old criminal ways.

• Like 2

I have noticed a decline in our business revenue starting about 5+ years ago. We weathered SARS, Bird Flu, Tsunami, and other natural disasters. My view is the decline set in with the start of global recession in about 2007 - 2008. The political situation did not help, and especially the closure of various international airports in Thailand. With the internet social medium all the scam problems here in Phuket became well documented and available for reading by any potential visitor.

I'm surprised that tourism has held up as well as it has smile.png

I'm retired and have never invested or owned a business in Thailand, so readers may take my comments and observations with a grain of salt. My last trip back to the US was in late 2011 and I was shocked at how many people in ther 40s, and older, were working at McDonalds. Those jobs used to be filled by high school kids and now adults are scrambling for them. Any way you slice it folks don't take many trips abroad on McDs wages smile.png

I am always silently observing and I see the wide eyed tourists gushing at how lovely Thailand is while I listen to the tuk tuk drivers laugh at the exorbitant price they just charged a foreigner.

To each his own but the more I hear about how wonderful Thailand is and how the junta will resolve all the problems, I'm thinking about my own Plan B smile.png

Your trip to USA in 2011, will look much like today, older people working in fast food places and where ever they can get work. In 2014 the US economy is still about the same, regardless what the medias try to tell us. The US debt is larger again this year, and not smaller by any means. Thailand is still a popular Tourist destination, and will stay that way
for at least 5 or 10 years, because the other Asian countries around Thailand also have their internal problems, and security and economic situations. Phuket does need to clean up the corruption issues though, as that will affect the tourist numbers.
Stargeezer9889

I am suprised the Tuk Tuks have lasted as long as they have.  The strong work ethic and ambition so prevelant amongst Thai men saw many of the drivers frustrated with sitting around all day waiting for that one big skim.

Thus, I am confident that these go getters will now embrace this opportunity to move into more gainful employment where their skills, motivation, and hard work will be properly utilised.

Why would anyone want to hang around all day, smoking, drinking, taking drugs and sleeping when you could be out in the 38 degree heat planting rice.

Why do you restrict your comment to Thai men only? Is it fair to judge the entire male population on these few tuk tuk guys? Would you judge the entire female population based on the bar girls that essentially do the same thing; lay around and sleep all day, sitting around at the bars all night "waiting for that one big skim"?

Bit unfair and judgmental I'd say.

Depends what happens when the army leaves.

Doomsayer.

Definitely. From experience, not by choice.

No doubt they are all just marking time until all this blows over then back to business as usual. Sadly, that is the most likely outcome.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Kata, Its not so much about Phuket but more about history and characteristic.

• 1 month later...

Phuket is already exploding at the seams. They are scrambling to catch up to handle the growth (i.e. the underground Central Festival bypass) and we all know how nothing in Thailand gets done in a hurry. And if it does...the quality & safety suffer.
My wife was born & raised in Phuket and she said she barely recognizes it anymore. It's glory days as a beautiful island have been replaced by a tourist trap that's resources are tapped out.

I stopped going to Phuket 15+ years ago. The nail in the coffin for me was when the runway at HKT airport was lengthened to facilitate wide body jets (charter flights). It was once the best place for beach holidaying in Thailand.

Are the current changes positive or negative for the future?

Does anyone really think these current changes will continue forever. In a year or so it will be back to business as usual. The creep will start as soon as the high season begins this year. That's assuming there will be a vibrant high season.

I am asking because a few posters before have condemned Phuket and even likened it to a sewer. Changes takes time and I think it all will come along slowly but surely, after all its just 2 months since the coup. Previous coup leaders just changed the constitution and laws as they see fit but I can see that this is different, they actually enforced bylaws and try to clean up the corruption that had been so ingrained in the thai system. It will take time to clean out the decades of corrupted practices but they are going in the right direction and doing what many before dare not do.

As for the Phuket as it was 20 years ago, unfortunately it is already long gone. Development is necessary to accommodate the growing population and visitors (albeit it MUST be controlled). Those who compared Phuket to new beaches in Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam and other places better reread the history of Phuket. Corruption and check and balances at those locations are like Thailand in the 80's, what makes you so sure that what happened to Phuket will not happen there? There exists an elite clique in some of those countries that are more unaccountable than those you see in Thailand, even the police are scared of them.

Phuket will always bounce back. The true pity is that such a nice island could really be a world class destination for people of all walks of life. Whether tourists or expats. Unfortunately thai culture, mentality and structure of its society, read lack of vision a.o., holds it back. Apparantly visitors are content with the negatives to keep coming (back), for a while. When they move on newcomers will arrive and it all keeps the cycle going and going. Its like this since the mid nineties. For me its the place where i felt home when landing or arriving with the car.

Phuket will always bounce back. The true pity is that such a nice island could really be a world class destination for people of all walks of life. Whether tourists or expats. Unfortunately thai culture, mentality and structure of its society, read lack of vision a.o., holds it back. Apparantly visitors are content with the negatives to keep coming (back), for a while. When they move on newcomers will arrive and it all keeps the cycle going and going. Its like this since the mid nineties. For me its the place where i felt home when landing or arriving with the car.

For the past 15 years or so I have traveled and lived in Thailand on and off, sometimes up to few months. The places that I like are the villages where life is simple and relaxed where everyone knows just about everyone. These are the charms of a small village. The moment I walk out of the airport or border post it is like leaving all your problems and worries behind. I am still seriously thinking of a permanent move there.

Phuket. Samui?
WATER
I lived in Phuket in the golden years. Dirt Roads. Patong Market. Empty Beach. Bars as Cast Iron shacks!
Lack of water will kill Phuket and Samui. IMO Edited by laolover88