The UK government give advice not to travel to certain parts of Thailand

Foxter

The U S Embassy has been sending out notices on this one for weeks. Read the message and base your decision on the best info you can find. The Embassy notices are pretty general. Check some other sources

But I do agree with the part about what not to say. Never say to a tailor in Pattaya, That's a very nice suit, how much?

Edited by dinger

Brits are pussies... they need these advices...

But agree with ukrules:

- completely misleading title for the OP

- this advice against travel to the south is years old

- this advice is given by every country for years

But agree with ukrules:

A bit racist there mate !

Brits are pussies but then add , this advice is given by every country ? So if every country why single out the brits as pussies ?

.. which actually should prove that I was joking around (ok, maybe lame...)

but for the sake of peacekeeping, I withdraw my comment and replace it with:

"All Brits are former SAS / MI5 / MI6 hardend guys with years of Afghanistan and Irak experience... and they need such travel advices in order to get at least a bit of excitement about travelling to the south of Thailand.. " thumbsup.gif

Edited by Swiss1960

But agree with ukrules:

Brits are pussies but then add , this advice is given by every country ? So if every country why single out the brits as pussies ?

"All Brits are former SAS / MI5 / MI6 hardend guys with years of Afghanistan and Irak experience... and they need such travel advices in order to get at least a bit of excitement about travelling to the south of Thailand.. " thumbsup.gif

Thats better...............coffee1.gif

• Like 2

But agree with ukrules:

When did 'British' become a race?

• Like 2

But agree with ukrules:

Theres always one who tries to be the smart ar*e, you know exactly what was intended by the remark.

BUT, and this is just for you....from the English Dictionary.

[C, + sing/pl verb] a group of people who share the same language, history,characteristics, etc.:The British are an island race.

(Definition of race noun (PEOPLE) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus

Edited by CharlieH

But agree with ukrules:

Theres always one who tries to be the smart ar*e, you know exactly what was intended by the remark.

BUT, and this is just for you....from the English Dictionary.

[C, + sing/pl verb] a group of people who share the same language, history,characteristics, etc.:The British are an island race.

(Definition of race noun (PEOPLE) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus

The British are certainly NOT a race. The UK is one of the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural societies. The dictionary definition is completely off the mark. The British stopped being a race in about 1950 when the first waves of Commonwealth immigrants arrived.

Edited by Thainess

This is the posting for UK citizens giving advice not to travel to certain parts of Thailand.

These are the same areas in the south which have been on the 'do not travel' list for years now.

Every time the page is updated someone comes along here and think's it's all new advice. Some of it has been there for many years.

"It is illegal to criticise the coup and you should be wary of making political statements in public. Some anti-coup demonstrations are taking place in Bangkok and some other cities. These could become violent. You should exercise extreme caution and remain alert to the situation. If you’re in any doubt about your safety, stay in your accommodation. You should avoid all protests sites, political gatherings, demonstrations and marches.

Before travelling to Thailand check with your insurance provider that they will continue to cover for claims arising from the current situation. Some travel insurance policies exclude cover following a military coup or the imposition of martial law, and your insurance may be invalid. "

All this is new advice. It's only been posted since the coup took place.

The British are certainly NOT a race. The UK is one of the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural societies. The dictionary definition is completely off the mark. The British stopped being a race in about 1950 when the first waves of Commonwealth immigrants arrived.

The British stopped being a race in 793 when the Vikings pitched up at Lindisfarne.

• Like 2

This is the posting for UK citizens giving advice not to travel to certain parts of Thailand.

These are the same areas in the south which have been on the 'do not travel' list for years now.

Every time the page is updated someone comes along here and think's it's all new advice. Some of it has been there for many years.

"It is illegal to criticise the coup and you should be wary of making political statements in public. Some anti-coup demonstrations are taking place in Bangkok and some other cities. These could become violent. You should exercise extreme caution and remain alert to the situation. If you’re in any doubt about your safety, stay in your accommodation. You should avoid all protests sites, political gatherings, demonstrations and marches.

Before travelling to Thailand check with your insurance provider that they will continue to cover for claims arising from the current situation. Some travel insurance policies exclude cover following a military coup or the imposition of martial law, and your insurance may be invalid. "

All this is new advice. It's only been posted since the coup took place.

You're right that's the new advice. Note how the new advice doesn't mention anything about not travelling to certain parts of Thailand as this forum topics title that you're reading right now suggests.

This is what I was referring to when I said every time this page is updated people read the years old warnings about the southern provinces and post things like 'The UK government give advice not to travel to certain parts of Thailand' when all they're really saying is avoid demonstrations in Bangkok and check your insurance regarding martial law.

This has been happening for years. I believe the FCO word these things quite carefully to serve their own agenda and they know exactly what they're doing as they know how journalists will react when reading the page, but that's just my opinion...

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

The British stopped being a race in 793 when the Vikings pitched up at Lindisfarne.[/

You have a point, but it depends on how far you want to go back, according to DNA we are all Africans and come from one source .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think you will find it started a bit earlier than 1950

You got, the Picts and the Scots, Celts, Saxons, Romans, Vikings, Normans, Africans, Indians, Nepalese, plus a few Chinese and Arabs.

Did I miss anyone or any ethnic group out?

Missing from the British mix are Native Americans, Aboriginals, Inuit and Maori.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

The British embassy advice on the night of the coup was also that the embassy would be closed on Monday due to a Bank holiday!

But it's great to know that they have an ample stock of western union leaflets in-case any of us get in real trouble here!

• Like 2

The British stopped being a race in 793 when the Vikings pitched up at Lindisfarne.

"Lindisfarn" isn,t/weren,t they a band?

"Lindisfarn" isn,t/weren,t they a band?

They wrote books in their spare time...

But agree with ukrules:

Ah Swiss humor - like cuckoo clocks, outrageously expensive penknives and ethical banking ! clap2.gif

This has been happening for years. I believe the FCO word these things quite carefully to serve their own agenda and they know exactly what they're doing as they know how journalists will react when reading the page, but that's just my opinion...

It is very hard to believe that a hard-working civil servant or dedicated public official such as an MP would try to serve their own agenda or "cover their own ****" as a non-gentleman expressed it elsewhere. Surely these people are acting entirely in the interest of the public, concerned about their nation and constituencies, without a shred of self-serving action?