'Police' extortion case reported by Restaurant Owner at Pattaya Police Station

webfact

"Police" extortion case reported by Restaurant Owner at Pattaya Police Station

police-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Monday Night the owner of a small Thai Restaurant, along with his wife reported allegations of extortion and an unlawful search of their house by three men claiming to be Police Officers.

Khun Wacharapon aged 29 and his wife, run the Chockanan Restaurant and live in a house behind the business. Earlier on Monday three men, claiming to be Pattaya Police Officers, came to the location and stated that allegations had been made against the couple who were suspected of running an illegal underground lottery and the men intended to search their house for evidence.

Despite the lack of a search warrant, the search of the house began and the men emerged with, what they claimed, was evidence of the lottery, despite the couple claiming they had never run a lottery before and were law abiding citizens.

The couple were given an option to pay the men 50,000 Baht to clear the case. They only had 2,000 Baht on them which was handed over.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/130242/police-extortion-case-reported-by-restaurant-owner-at-pattaya-police-station/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-06-03

If the military clean up the police like they claim they will,

then extortions, protection money and tea money should be a thing of the past.

Not really. In many such cases these guys are not real police officers...

Cleaning the "true" would have limited effect

I thought this sort of crime was usually committed against bar owners , These guys must have already exhausted all the farang business owners and are now starting on the locals i dont think they will last to long.

never give money to police officers or for some funny help ...just do and act as the law says and nothing bad will happened to you.

if there is some police abuse, ask for their name, make some photos, ask for a receipt and take some thai witneses , then report to the police station.

coruption start ending when the payer stop paying stupidly.

coffee1.gif

If the military clean up the police like they claim they will, then extortions, protection money and tea money should be a thing of the past.

How would cleaning up the police stop criminals from pretending to be policemen?

because all thai and farang people living enough time in thailand, especially where there is some good business money farang knows that some street policeman do these things.

If the military clean up the police like they claim they will, then extortions, protection money and tea money should be a thing of the past.

How would cleaning up the police stop criminals from pretending to be policemen?

Cannot understand why they did not ask to show ID or the wife goes away to say will get the money and call the police.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh how this country needs 100 years of Western colonization.

It's the only way forward.

WHAT????? and end up like all the places we've put in the rearview mirror???? ........ be careful what you wish for......with whatever flaws it has it's OK - matter of fact - I LIKE IT.........move BACK(wards) to your western civilized world.....we're doing fine here.....don't let the door hit you on your thinker on the way out........

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

Cannot understand why they did not ask to show ID or the wife goes away to say will get the money and call the police.
If you notice, they did go to the real police. I didn't read the full story so I don't know how long after the three guys hit them up they went, but I understand why they didn't call immediately. You and your wife are confronted by three aggressive guys who claim to be policemen. You don't know if they are real or not. They may be armed. They may be dangerous -- you don't have enough experience with violence to judge. These are frightening guys. You are intimidated. If you pull out your cell phone you fear they may assault you. They don't give you a chance to go into another room where they can't see you. Even if you're willing to risk being severely injured yourself, you have to consider the chance you wife could be seriously injured if you got into a scuffle with them. So you wait until they leave and then you go to the police.

Good grief man, have you never been confronted by an aggressive guy who scared you? Really?

Edited by Acharn

I thought this sort of crime was usually committed against bar owners , These guys must have already exhausted all the farang business owners and are now starting on the locals i dont think they will last to long.

Or maybe it shows that you were wrong in the first place. Ever consider that? By the way, although I generally consider him entertaining, this is the kind of thing that caused Chalerm to be kicked out of the Army so he joined the Police.

It would be harder for them to embezzle people as the victims would not believe them.

Street vendors in Pai pay police 200 baht a day to be allowed to sell on the streets. When will this corruption end? How can you get this message to the military?

Shop owners selling wooden items in Baan Thawai, Chiang Mai, pay 500 (a month? a week?) to corrupt forestry commission officials.

In order to get a licence to manufacture items from wood you need a licence. The corruption fee, under the counter payment, is twice the price of the licence.

When police see my wife's surname is 'farang' the ticket price goes from 200 baht to 1000.

When she went to do a nail-painting course for which she was quoted 3000 baht on the internet; as soon as they saw her id card it was 5,000. (Because of the farang name)

I was once stopped on my bicycle and told off because I had no id with me. The officer demanded 2000 baht. I had no money on me and didn't pay.

The mechanic in the Honda showroom tried to steel my blue car book.

And on and on and on it goes ......

(And this without mentioning women!)

They do not like to lose face , she handed over 2000 and everyone was happy.....

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app