Advice on lifting a 4x4 truck

Steps

Hi,

Can anybody shed light on some options for lifting a truck about 2" please. I have kind of gathered that you can put blocks in-between the long springs (i forget what they are called) or even add springs. What are the pros and cons of this?

I plan on changing the shocks and springs anyway and was wondering if there was anything i need to know with regards to the lift and suspension change.

Thank you

Usually for a small lift 1 or 2 inches, you can get away with fitting longer shackles for the rear leafs and cranking up the torsion bars at the front. Fine if you just want clearance for larger tires. For a bigger lift and you need to look into some more serious (can be more expensive) modifications. Steering geometry and prop shaft alignment has the potential to become an issue with much over 2 inches and ought to be taken into account.

• Like 1

Usually for a small lift 1 or 2 inches, you can get away with fitting longer shackles for the rear leafs and cranking up the torsion bars at the front. Fine if you just want clearance for larger tires. For a bigger lift and you need to look into some more serious (can be more expensive) modifications. Steering geometry and prop shaft alignment has the potential to become an issue with much over 2 inches and ought to be taken into account.

Hi,

Will this setup for a small lift affect what shocks and springs i will need to buy?

Thinking about it i dont even know what spec i should buy for the shocks and springs. I just want the ride to feel new again.

Hi,

Will this setup for a small lift affect what shocks and springs i will need to buy?

Thinking about it i dont even know what spec i should buy for the shocks and springs. I just want the ride to feel new again.

Not sure if this is any help, but you can only lower a car 40 mm on the oem shocks. Any more you need to change the shocks, so I guess its the same for lifting.

Some people don't recommend shackles as it has a detrimental effect on handling. Any raise will change the steering geometry and the handling.

Extra leaf springs can make the ride much harder and without new shocks, bouncy. What truck is it - just fitting a block on the rear will affect the curve of the rear leaf and therefore the rating.

The front steering geometry is again important as are the shocks, you will also need to review the shocks them.

lifting doesn't necessarily gives room for large wheels/tyres - You might also consider what size wheels/tyres you are fitting and the relevant clearances equipped for the wheel arches, chassis and body.

My experience is that anyone will lift the vehicle (i Thai if you say "lift" they generally understand what you want) but few actually consider the effects of even a minor modification. Go to a good 4WD shop and check out a few alternative ponds before getting the work done.

Edited by wilcopops

Why do you want to lift the vehicle 2 inches?

Do you suspect there's a problem with the current suspension set up?

Leaf springs are very durable and last a long time if not overloaded as do the front

coil springs.

Shock absorbers though don't last as long and changing them from the factory fitted

oil filled to after market gas filled will make the ride feel stiffer and tighter all round.

Raising the ride height from factory standard reduces the centre of gravity of the vehicle

which in turn increases the roll when cornering and makes the vehicle more prone to

overturning.

• Like 1

2" isn't much! Without trying to be funny I fail to see how 2" is going to help when you charging through the unseen jungles of Thailand. 6" would be much better together with some really fat tyres.

Some people don't recommend shackles as it has a detrimental effect on handling. Any raise will change the steering geometry and the handling.

Extra leaf springs can make the ride much harder and without new shocks, bouncy. What truck is it - just fitting a block on the rear will affect the curve of the rear leaf and therefore the rating.

The front steering geometry is again important as are the shocks, you will also need to review the shocks them.

lifting doesn't necessarily gives room for large wheels/tyres - You might also consider what size wheels/tyres you are fitting and the relevant clearances equipped for the wheel arches, chassis and body.

My experience is that anyone will lift the vehicle (i Thai if you say "lift" they generally understand what you want) but few actually consider the effects of even a minor modification. Go to a good 4WD shop and check out a few alternative ponds before getting the work done.

Hi,

I have a 14 year old Mazda fighter. I am looking to put 31x10.50r 15lt Tyres on it (from 30's to 31's).

Why do you want to lift the vehicle 2 inches?

Do you suspect there's a problem with the current suspension set up?

Leaf springs are very durable and last a long time if not overloaded as do the front

coil springs.

Shock absorbers though don't last as long and changing them from the factory fitted

oil filled to after market gas filled will make the ride feel stiffer and tighter all round.

Raising the ride height from factory standard reduces the centre of gravity of the vehicle

which in turn increases the roll when cornering and makes the vehicle more prone to

overturning.

I am lifting it mostly for the effect (look) but i do want decent handling and comfort when riding aswell. And obviously the safety!

2" isn't much! Without trying to be funny I fail to see how 2" is going to help when you charging through the unseen jungles of Thailand. 6" would be much better together with some really fat tyres.

I like the image of charging through some unseen Thai jungle but to be honest, i don't think im really gonna get the chance to do much of that. The lift is more for the look it will have. I like the idea of some really fat tyres so when these 31's have worn out, i will definately look into something more fancy.

I like the image of charging through some unseen Thai jungle but to be honest, i don't think im really gonna get the chance to do much of that. The lift is more for the look it will have. I like the idea of some really fat tyres so when these 31's have worn out, i will definately look into something more fancy.

On a truck a 2" lift is barely noticeable. My Brother in law has Old man Emu springs on his PJS. The ride is good but the lift isn't so noticeable. I would thin 4" would give a good lift and not be too over the top.

On a truck a 2" lift is barely noticeable. My Brother in law has Old man Emu springs on his PJS. The ride is good but the lift isn't so noticeable. I would thin 4" would give a good lift and not be too over the top.

How much lift and appearance are somewhat subjective - it can also depend on the vehicle.

One would hope that you are lifting the vehicle for practical reasons too? Those 2 inches can help a lot of dirt roads etc and may be all you need for the predicted environment the vehicle is intended for. Navaras in particular benefit for a bit of a lift as they are quite low in standard form - but the rear springs are long and soft so care needs to be taken there.

you REALLY need to check out your tyre options BEORE you do the lift as you may be disappointed she you find out what you can fit.

A/T tires ca be expensive, but with a 2 inch ;fit and some grippy tyres you'll be surprised how far you can go before you get stuck! - is it 4x4?

your tyre sizes ae in inches - can you tie me the metric/mixed sizes? e.g. 265x70x15?

I'm not sure I'll be able to help even then.....there are websites that do this, but at the end of the day, you are best off going to a tyre place or the garage that does the lift and sticking one tyre on the front and check for clearance up and down and from lock to lock. (Sometimes a smack with a hammer or cut away some plastic it all it takes to get the clearance!?!?!) - if it touches the chassis (inside the arch), then you have to look at off set rims or smaller tyres.

Edited by wilcopops

Hi,

You haven't said what the truck is and the purpose - although I now see it's for "looks".

You will find that if you go to an experienced "fitter" they will be able to advise you on your options. For instance simply fitting extra leaves on the back will increase you load carrying to a point but will harden the ride.

there are replacement leaf springs - from companies like ARB - but they are expensive....they are probably Thai alternatives too.

I don't know for sure whether the standard shocks will still work - (you can get extensions for them too).

2" lift on the front of my Ranger is very noticeable.

10296195_10152240604042740_3631194323855

2" lift on the front of my Ranger is very noticeable.

10296195_10152240604042740_3631194323855

Now that is what i'm talkin about Spoonman!!

Yes . engine and g/box will affect the can't somewhat.

it looks like you've fitted larger wheels and low profiles.....not the best combo for poor/dirt roads...if that's what the OP is thinking about.

Hi,

I want a lift mainly for the look but also would like some decent performance. I will be looking to put fat tyres on it once the current ones run low.

Yes . engine and g/box will affect the can't somewhat.

it looks like you've fitted larger wheels and low profiles.....not the best combo for poor/dirt roads...if that's what the OP is thinking about.

Hi,

I want a lift mainly for the look but also would like some decent performance. I will be looking to put fat tyres on it once the current ones run low.

If you change the overall diameter of the wheels you will affect the performance as you will effect the power at the wheels ands the final drive ratio. BTW - you will need to find how much the speedo has altered too....there are web sites for this.

Big tires tend to mean bouncy car too.

Check you prices on larger tires - they can get expensive. mine are nearly 10000 baht each.